Interviews/Commentary about Josh Allen (WY OC, Palmer, Joe B etc)

Just now, JerseyBills said:

The raw talent difference between Allen and Hackenburg aren't even remotely close, And you know that..

Allen has a bigger arm, otherwise they're essentially the same guy. Same size and same mobility. Both have good intangibles off the field. Allen is a bit thicker. 

Jordan Palmer said Hackenberg could fix his accuracy in the lead up to the 2016 draft, but he hasn't and will likely be out of the NFL by the end of the summer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What are the Buffalo Bills getting in Josh Allen?

An advanced look into Josh Allen's strengths and weaknesses, all the while tackling the myths and truths of some of the accepted schools of thought about Allen as an NFL prospect.

Great read...  Thanks for posting!  Doesn't really change my thoughts either way, but still always great to see more information and reporters actually doing their homework for a good story.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it interesting that when Josh has had coaching he seems to improve.

A good example is that his one year at Reedly Community College he had a 49% Completion Percentage

http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

At Wyoming, he had the infamous 56% completion percentage  -- supposedly a big jump in talent but he seemed to adjust well and with a real QB coach improved. 

I honestly think his success in the NFL will be up to three factors: 

1) the kind of QB technical expertise (footwork, anticipation throws, read and react) the Bills give him and what he contracts for on his own (Jordan Palmer)

2) the system Daboll builds around him

3) His own work ethic

Josh seems to be a better block of clay than any that has come down the NFL pike in a while...how he is molded will be the key and Josh himself has a strong hand in his development.  It will be exciting to watch if it goes well.   There will be rough patches -- a ton of them (like the 5 interception game against Nebraska in 16)--but I am willing to give him a couple of years to (one on the bench/one on the field) to figure it out.  

Edited by JoeF

You can break down things so many ways. Only time will tell. I do not like the adjustment for drops or this or that. You would have to make those adjustments to every other QB's throws as well. And the logic of talent level - yes his team was less talented but they also played against less talent. 

Lets see what this guy does when he gets to camp, when he plays some snaps against NFL talent. Until then its anyone's guess. 

I largely agree with many of Joe B's take.  I've been saying 0ver and over that the completion percentage is not truly indicative of his accuracy and that his arm strength along with his size, strength and athletic ability coupled with his elite eacapability traits and the fact that he tends to look for the homerun throw truly makes him a unique prospect.

He is not a boom bust project, his floor is much higher than what we often hear from some quarters.

• Like (+1) 3

It really sounds like Raw is a catch phrase that pundits have used in lack of knowing anything real about him.  He is the most experienced QB under center coming out of college.  J Palmer and K Cousins have both got the impression that he understands pro concepts.

I think the real thing to watch will be how he responds to a high level of talent on both sides of the ball.  He has a calm confidence to him.  

With the arm and mobility I don't understand why he draws comparisons to Big Been.  To me, I see another Panthers QB.  He reminds me of Cam.

With respect to the OP- it doesn’t.

The only thing that will prove flaws can be overcome is this kid playing nfl games at nfl speed with nfl competition.  

Anything is possible. And it is entirely possible that Allen has a gold jacket career. His arm may be historically strong in the NFL. I’m hopeful, mostly because it’s a choice to hope for the best. 

but reading into these incremental snapshots prior to the season are fools gold. We’ve heard it all so many times.  You hear about mechanics being fixed in shorts at the local high school all the time- but under live action it all breaks down. Remember when Ej ‘fixed’ his issues one off season with a QB guru?

we won’t know, until we know. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

How would this not qualify as:

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread ----- "Josh Allen Game Film" or "Josh Allen Analytics" or "Josh Allen OC Interview" are likely to be considered sufficiently different to separate, even though in practice discussion within the threads will tend to coalesce on the same handful of points and may get merged later on.

Because this was a great article that would otherwise be buried among sub threads.  Leave this on its own thread

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

How would this not qualify as:

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread ----- "Josh Allen Game Film" or "Josh Allen Analytics" or "Josh Allen OC Interview" are likely to be considered sufficiently different to separate, even though in practice discussion within the threads will tend to coalesce on the same handful of points and may get merged later on.

If I can offer counter-argument: I hate mile long threads. Sometimes a thread about the same topic can offer a nuance, like this breakdown of Allen by Joe B. I'd rather see more fresher, shorter threads, than one enormous all-encompassing one.

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Because this was a great article that would otherwise be buried among sub threads.  Leave this on its own thread

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What are the Buffalo Bills getting in Josh Allen?

An advanced look into Josh Allen's strengths and weaknesses, all the while tackling the myths and truths of some of the accepted schools of thought about Allen as an NFL prospect.

What does Allen need to work on?
No. 1 - Finding his inner Derek Zoolander
No. 2 - More consistent footwork
No. 3 - Mental processing
No. 4 - Seeing ghosts

What makes Allen such a dynamic prospect?
No. 1 - Arm strength, of course
No. 2 - Anticipatory throws
No. 3 - Strength and balance through contact
No. 4 - A legitimate running threat

Zoolander ??

22 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Doesn't answer the question, says everything. Allen is a tremendous physical talent that can retain a great deal of information, but he can't process the game within the 2.5 seconds between snap to throw.

Yes, believe the coach. The coaches actions speak load and clear. He had a potential top 10 QB in his 3rd year and was afraid to throw the football.

Huh?! Sounds like he was afraid to run it too. Under 120 yards a game is pretty pathetic.