Interviews/Commentary about Josh Allen (WY OC, Palmer, Joe B etc)

10 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

No I'm not. I like Allen as a 1st round prospect. I like drafting QB's because no one knows. No one is perfect when evaluating QB's. I wouldn't have taken Allen over Rosen. I definitely wouldn't have traded up for Allen. But Allen is well worth a 1st round pick, I just don't see a franchise QB you hand over the franchise to year 1. He has tools to develop. I worry about his ability to process quickly. I don't like QB's that struggle to make quick decisions on film. I've fallen for QB's that look the part like Jimmy Clausen and been totally wrong. What I have yet to see is a QB that struggles to make quick decisions succeed in the NFL without being a great running QB. 

Can you provide evidence of Allen not processing information quickly? I don't think that's true at all.

29 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can you provide evidence of Allen not processing information quickly? I don't think that's true at all.

I'm not sure what you want? You can see it watching him in games. I hate making excuses for QB's. QB gets the credit and the blame for a reason. Was his OL good? No. Were his WR's good? No. Did Allen struggle with anticipation and timing? Yes. 

So there's the problem. You have maybe the most physically gifted QB prospect ever, but you have to ignore the bad because of the surrounding cast. That makes me nervous. That's why I liked Allen as a 1st round QB to develop slowly, not as a franchise QB prospect you trade into the top 10 for.

It's funny because AJ McCarron is the complete opposite. Weak arm, not much of an athlete, but showed good timing and anticipation in college. He had maybe the best supporting cast in college football. 

We just have to wait and see. No one knows what will happen. 

15 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Doesn't answer the question, says everything. Allen is a tremendous physical talent that can retain a great deal of information, but he can't process the game within the 2.5 seconds between snap to throw.

Yes, believe the coach. The coaches actions speak load and clear. He had a potential top 10 QB in his 3rd year and was afraid to throw the football.

There's been plenty of times where he "processed the game within 2.5 seconds".

So because you claim they were "afraid" to throw the ball, that makes it true? 

11 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not sure what you want? You can see it watching him in games. I hate making excuses for QB's. QB gets the credit and the blame for a reason. Was his OL good? No. Were his WR's good? No. Did Allen struggle with anticipation and timing? Yes. 

So there's the problem. You have maybe the most physically gifted QB prospect ever, but you have to ignore the bad because of the surrounding cast. That makes me nervous. That's why I liked Allen as a 1st round QB to develop slowly, not as a franchise QB prospect you trade into the top 10 for.

It's funny because AJ McCarron is the complete opposite. Weak arm, not much of an athlete, but showed good timing and anticipation in college. He had maybe the best supporting cast in college football. 

We just have to wait and see. No one knows what will happen. 

I've been watching all of Allen's games very closely. I don't see him struggle with anticipation and timing like you say he does. Was he late on some throws? Yes. Could he improve his progression speed? Sure. But that goes for every quarterback in history coming out of college.

What are the Buffalo Bills getting in Josh Allen?

An advanced look into Josh Allen's strengths and weaknesses, all the while tackling the myths and truths of some of the accepted schools of thought about Allen as an NFL prospect.

What does Allen need to work on?
No. 1 - Finding his inner Derek Zoolander
No. 2 - More consistent footwork
No. 3 - Mental processing
No. 4 - Seeing ghosts

What makes Allen such a dynamic prospect?
No. 1 - Arm strength, of course
No. 2 - Anticipatory throws
No. 3 - Strength and balance through contact
No. 4 - A legitimate running threat
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was just posting this, I guess at the same time as you... good read I thought.

I appreciated his look at the accuracy hot topic-

Drops and offensive line breakdowns are going to happen, of course, but the important message here is that when Allen had the time or tried to make things happen, he was well over the vaunted 60-percent completion mark on those throws. 

He did exhibit signs of being more accurate than originally portrayed, but at the same time, he has some things he absolutely must correct. Many of them are related, which show signs of promise for a team — and we'll get into those shortly. 

However, it was first important to display that there is more to Josh Allen than a simple stat of a percentage that supposedly represents accuracy.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

I was just posting this, I guess at the same time as you... good read I thought.

I appreciated his look at the accuracy hot topic-

I agree.  In-depth piece by Joe B and a worthwhile read. 

Seriously? Right in the first sentence.............

" On April 28, 2018, the Buffalo Bills did something that has never been done before in franchise history. For the first time ever, the Bills selected a quarterback in the Top 10 of an NFL Draft when they made Wyoming's Josh Allen the seventh overall pick in 2018"

How would this not qualify as:

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread ----- "Josh Allen Game Film" or "Josh Allen Analytics" or "Josh Allen OC Interview" are likely to be considered sufficiently different to separate, even though in practice discussion within the threads will tend to coalesce on the same handful of points and may get merged later on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems like those of you who are linking multiple thread guidance didn't bother to read it.  Not only does this seem to fit the criteria given for a new thread, he also explains best procedure should you think the thread is redundant, and it doesn't include talking about it in thread.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Steve Billieve said:

How would this not qualify as:

Draft Round 1 Pick 7: Josh Allen thread ----- "Josh Allen Game Film" or "Josh Allen Analytics" or "Josh Allen OC Interview" are likely to be considered sufficiently different to separate, even though in practice discussion within the threads will tend to coalesce on the same handful of points and may get merged later on.

1 minute ago, Steve Billieve said:

It seems like those of you who are linking multiple thread guidance didn't bother to read it.  Not only does this seem to fit the criteria given for a new thread, he also explains best procedure should you think the thread is redundant, and it doesn't include talking about it in thread.

Those complaining are doing so because it's me as the OP.  Check their posting history and it's nakedly transparent. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Color me surprised that Palmer enthuses about the 2 QB draft prospects who are paying him to live in a beach house with him and play catch (OK, there's more to it than that but...).  Look, it's nice to hear him gush about our guy, but it has to be seen in the context of a sculptor enthusing for his creation.

The reason that a lot of folks aren't pointing out the impact Palmer has had on Allen's game yet is....he hasn't had one yet

Thank you. 

But that footwork....

On 4/30/2018 at 6:10 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be truthful, if I were Darnold and his client just as much, I'd be kinda pissed except that Darnold went #3 overall and got the big payday and is supposedly tight with Allen after their 3 months as beach-house buddies, so maybe it's "all good"

He doesn’t have to sell Darnold as much.  

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Jordan Palmer said the exact same things about Chrisitian Hackenberg 2 years ago, and he's been terrible as a pro football player. 

The raw talent difference between Allen and Hackenburg aren't even remotely close, And you know that..