Interviews/Commentary about Josh Allen (WY OC, Palmer, Joe B etc)

Jordan Palmer who has now worked with a bunch of young QBs seems to have had a huge impact on Josh Allen, look no further than that 2nd half of the Senior Bowl , but if a part time mentor can make changes to his game, I think that showed this staff that his tremendous upside can be reached. 

I'll leave a few videos, but man I'm loving this pick, I think we got the best QB and will be running the AFC East sooner than later. The kid has freakish skills and is COACHABLE. 

Suprised not many have pointed out the impact Palmer has had on his game, you can hear his confidence in Allen over Darnold too imo.  Only time will tell but I think we got our franchise guy!

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Thanks for the videos.  Some folks have suggested hiring Palmer to work full-time with Allen, so it has not gone unnoticed.  I was also impressed with Dilfer's opinion of Allen.

Got a linky to which Dilfer opinion you're talking about?  'Cuz this one, TBH, doesn't make him sound that good relative to the other QB in Dilfer's view.

Dilfer raved about Josh Allen’s traits and compared the Wyoming product to a “probably even more powerful” version of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but cautioned that he’s still a work in progress. “He has everything 1980s and 1990s football wanted in a quarterback,” Dilfer said. “He is big, strong, athletic, huge arm, tough physically, mentally. I mean, he’s got the trait makeup. “He’s not a great player yet. He needs to learn how to play the game better. What I’ve been talking about him is he’s a 650-horsepower engine that doesn’t have the car built around to sustain that horsepower. He needs to build the automobile. He needs to have the framework and the nurturing to handle that type of horsepower . . . I think, instead of a first-round player, I’d call him a first-round prospect. He needs to be developed, he needs time, he needs to be nurtured. But I absolutely would love to coach him, and I think he’ll be a star if handled properly in the NFL.”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Got a linky to which Dilfer opinion you're talking about?  'Cuz this one, TBH, doesn't make him sound that good relative to the other QB in Dilfer's view.

Dilfer raved about Josh Allen’s traits and compared the Wyoming product to a “probably even more powerful” version of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but cautioned that he’s still a work in progress. “He has everything 1980s and 1990s football wanted in a quarterback,” Dilfer said. “He is big, strong, athletic, huge arm, tough physically, mentally. I mean, he’s got the trait makeup. “He’s not a great player yet. He needs to learn how to play the game better. What I’ve been talking about him is he’s a 650-horsepower engine that doesn’t have the car built around to sustain that horsepower. He needs to build the automobile. He needs to have the framework and the nurturing to handle that type of horsepower . . . I think, instead of a first-round player, I’d call him a first-round prospect. He needs to be developed, he needs time, he needs to be nurtured. But I absolutely would love to coach him, and I think he’ll be a star if handled properly in the NFL.”

I was thinking of a Rich Eisen interview that was posted in one of the threads.  I do think the quote you included is correct.  Allen can be very good, but he needs time to develop.  Hopefully we have patience and the right people in place to accomplish that.

23 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Jordan Palmer who has now worked with a bunch of young QBs seems to have had a huge impact on Josh Allen, look no further than that 2nd half of the Senior Bowl , but if a part time mentor can make changes to his game, I think that showed this staff that his tremendous upside can be reached. 

I'll leave a few videos, but man I'm loving this pick, I think we got the best QB and will be running the AFC East sooner than later. The kid has freakish skills and is COACHABLE. 

Suprised not many have pointed out the impact Palmer has had on his game, you can hear his confidence in Allen over Darnold too imo.  Only time will tell but I think we got our franchise guy!

Color me surprised that Palmer enthuses about the 2 QB draft prospects who are paying him to live in a beach house with him and play catch (OK, there's more to it than that but...).  Look, it's nice to hear him gush about our guy, but it has to be seen in the context of a sculptor enthusing for his creation.

The reason that a lot of folks aren't pointing out the impact Palmer has had on Allen's game yet is....he hasn't had one yet.  Yeah, I know, Senior Bowl, but as others have pointed out, there are several ways in which the Senior Bowl is a scripted situation (limited defensive alignments, no blitzing, and player attention is divided between showcasing their talent but not wanting to be That Guy who kills another player's chance in the draft by injuring him).  The rest of the things we see are in shorts.

It's very promising that Allen has improved his technique in shorts after 3 months of intense daily work with Palmer, but 1) some of the same flaws can still be seen at times on tape in his combine and pro day - mute the announcers, and really LOOK at the placement on every throw 2) there's a history of QB who have improved working with QB gurus in shorts, but who regress under pressure in the game.

So we really have to wait to see him in a game.

• Like (+1) 1

Of course it’s possible to fix- but history shows he’s likely about a coin flip and those would be high on the list of things that might land him on the wrong side. 

Itll be an an exciting season. Fingers crossed for good outcomes.

I wonder how Palmer gets paid by Allen and Darnold. Both are 'clients,' hence why he could not divulge his favorite between the two. Just giving them the  three-month training on the come and they pay him $X once they are drafted, signed, paid?  

I will go on record admitting I didn't see enough Of Josh Allen's work to compare him to Paxton Lynch in all honesty.  I also made it known that I wanted Rosen for having seen more of his tape, but I have no effect on who the Bills draft, so after seeing some more film, I am at the very least more optimistic on what Allen can become, and far more disappointed in how Rosen carries himself publicly.

I'm not pulling a full 180 on who I was hoping for in the draft, as I really wanted them to stay put in the 1st round and take Mason Rudolph with the late 2nd round pick, but now that it's all said and done, I am not totally opposed to the pick.  I just hope he can develop and justify the move up.  What I can say tha's growing on me is his demeanor and work ethic.

EDIT:

Let me clarify - If they were determined to move up in the draft, which I was against, I wanted Rosen.  If they stayed put and kept all their picks, I wanted Rudolph.  I felt like Rudolph was going to be the poor mans Allen.

Edited by Homey D. Clown
  • Like (+1) 2

I agree somewhat with the fact that Jordan Palmer has Allen as a client and so he is going to say extremely favorable things about him.

But if you or I am going to acknowledge that, we must also acknowledge that Jordan Palmer wants to be doing this for the rest of his life, and if he talks up a guy like that who tanks, he is not going to have that dream job very long. So he's not likely to be saying things he doesn't believe to be true.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe the bills made the right call drafting Allen.  The question I have is..... Will the Bills give him the coaching that he needs to develop?  I would seriously consider bringing in a QB whisperer for this Kid.  I don't think just having Daboll create an offense for his strengths will be enough.  Jordan Palmer was a good idea but if Palmer can do it then I am sure anyone with proven NFL QB coaching skills will do.  

One more thing about Palmer really saying great things about Allen..... At least he didn't pull a Mora and say that Sam Darnold should be #1 and not his college QB Josh Rosen.  I would be pissed if my coach ever did that to me.  Actually Allen's head coach at Wyoming said that Allen deserved to be #1 just based on what he expects Allen to become.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I will go on record admitting I didn't see enough Of Josh Allen's work to compare him to Paxton Lynch in all honesty.  I also made it known that I wanted Rosen for having seen more of his tape, but I have no effect on who the Bills draft, so after seeing some more film, I am at the very least more optimistic on what Allen can become, and far more disappointed in how Rosen carries himself publicly.

I'm not pulling a full 180 on who I was hoping for in the draft, as I really wanted them to stay put in the 1st round and take Mason Rudolph with the late 2nd round pick, but now that it's all said and done, I am not totally opposed to the pick.  I just hope he can develop and justify the move up.  What I can say tha's growing on me is his demeanor and work ethic.

EDIT:

Let me clarify - If they were determined to move up in the draft, which I was against, I wanted Rosen.  If they stayed put and kept all their picks, I wanted Rudolph.  I felt like Rudolph was going to be the poor mans Allen.

Why would you want a poor mans josh allen when you can get josh allen?  Doesn’t make sense to me.  It’s the QB position.  It’s the one position where it doesn’t matter what draft pick price you pay. You get the guy that you like most.

If allen was their #1 guy, then I think Beane did just an incredible job by keeping 22 and all of our picks in the future.  Sure, the cardinals did great too and gave up less but they may have not gotten the guy they wanted.  If reports are true and the cards and Bills were both trying to trade for that 7 spot for the same QB and we got him......I’d rather give up the 2 2nd rd picks and get our guy as opposed to the 2nd choice and giving up less.  Then to get Edmunds too.......that’s just amazing.  I had Edmunds at my 5th ranked non qb. Not that means anything. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I wonder how Palmer gets paid by Allen and Darnold. Both are 'clients,' hence why he could not divulge his favorite between the two. Just giving them the  three-month training on the come and they pay him $X once they are drafted, signed, paid?  

Once college career is over they can accept money from their agent, pay it back after signing.

I mean, Palmer talking up Allen is a little suspect, because it benefits Palmer and his job as a QB guru to have Allen be a success. Saying how much Allen has improved will obviously get other QBs to hire Palmer. 

Something else - we don't know how this has improved Allen's play, as he hasn't played a real game since hiring Palmer. I hope it has helped! 

That being said, the kid is doing all the right things and working hard.