Crazy Things You've Seen

Gugny

Saw a person driving the wrong way on a highway when my friend and I were driving home late one night. This was before cell phones were prevalent (mid 90s) so neither of us had one. We paced him from the other side and tried to get people’s attention in case another driver had one. Luckily someone somehow alerted the cops because they were able to get ahead of him and pull him over. But as it was from when we saw him to when he was pulled over was at least 6 miles. 

15 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Last year, driving back home from El Paso we saw thousands of dead rabbits littering the long desolate highway southwest of Roswell. For like 10 miles or so, it seemed like every rabbit in the region just committed Hari Kari. If you have ever driven through this area you know go little traffic there is. It was totally weird!

I guess that was a bad hare day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Saw a person driving the wrong way on a highway when my friend and I were driving home late one night. This was before cell phones were prevalent (mid 90s) so neither of us had one. We paced him from the other side and tried to get people’s attention in case another driver had one. Luckily someone somehow alerted the cops because they were able to get ahead of him and pull him over. But as it was from when we saw him to when he was pulled over was at least 6 miles. 

I would have been killed like that a few years ago.  I was on divided highway, coming home from work when somebody on left zoomed by me the wrong way.  For some reason, I moved over to right lane. Nobody else around me except another vehicle about 500 yards ahead. I actually, always travel to right, never take that the left.  It saved my life.

I got to light, pulled up along side car that was ahead of me and rolled down window.  The young lady in car looked like she saw a ghost... Totally trembling in fear.  I said: "Did you see that!"  I guess she did!

Speaking of that same area, a pedestrian just got killed by a drunk on Saturday night:

http://www.theherald-news.com/2018/05/06/police-crete-man-hit-and-killed-by-drunk-driver/al5xps7/

This dude was heading east, right to IL-394.  It was very possible that if he continued, he would have made that wrong left north into oncoming south traffic.  That's what happened the night I was driving.  A drunk probably made the left on wrong side of grassy medium and went north.  Good thing the young lady and I both stayed and traveled via the far right lane!

Always keep right!

11 hours ago, DrW said:

Dust devils. I had seen a few when visiting Australia, especially around Ayers Rock (now Uluru). However, before moving to West Texas, I did not know how strong they could be.

Case 1 (which I had to observe): A 450 pound playground structure in our backyard; my son (about 5 at that time) and my father-in-law were playing close to it. The wind had not been remarkable (for West Texas standards, 10-20 mph appears normal). Suddenly, a dust devil lifts up the playground structure and moves it by about 6 feet. Very fortunately, neither my son nor my father-in-law were too close to be hit. The next day we anchored the structure with concrete.

Case 2 (which I did not observe personally): I returned from a one-week-conference; we had invited my mother-in-law for that time to look after the kids, as my wife is also working full-time. Upon my return, I saw that two of the three 12-ft-trees in our driveway were gone. My first reaction: Mother-in-law had another accident (she had totaled my wife's car on a previous visit) and mowed down the trees. However, all our cars were fine. Thus, a dust devil must have uprooted the two trees.

Speaking of DustDevils... Just caught this outta Alberta:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/dust-devil-interrupts-softball-game-in-canada?pl=pl-the-latest

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Whitetail deer at work jump an 8 foot security fence with barb wire on top.  To the deer's credit... Slope of the ground on jump side probably gave it a 1' advantage, but other side, it landed the full 8+ feet.

A few years ago I was driving on I-86 when I saw a deer standing on the shoulder of the road. There was a truck behind me. Just as I drove past the deer, it leapt into the road. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw it broadside the truck. Not a pretty sight.

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Similar.

I was southbound on a three lane hwy.  First lane.  Came up over a little hill and a dude was northbound in our 3rd lane.  I realize closing speeds are and look faster when going opposite directions, but no way was this moron doing less than 100.  No way.  Scary as hell.

Another crazy thing I've seen was on an Internet message board.  Some dude said pot give immunity to disease.  He went on and on about it for years.

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

A few years ago I was driving on I-86 when I saw a deer standing on the shoulder of the road. There was a truck behind me. Just as I drove past the deer, it leapt into the road. I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw it broadside the truck. Not a pretty sight.

Yuck!

My brother used to drive a coal truck for Tonawanda Coke.  He was in the Southern Tier when a turkey flew through his windshield and landed on the passenger seat! 

The crazy stuff we have stuck in our Asian carp "fish screens" but never Asian carp. :lol:

Background:

Fish screens are stainless steel grates that are lowered into the sluice gates (slots) on the controlling works (or dam).  The lock is the boat "elevator" around the dam.  We can also run water thru dam/controlling works via 4 sluice gates that can open to 10' feet higher. The dam allows us to control water elevations in the lower pool, prevent flooding, aid in flushing and cleaning the river environment, prevent property damage, maintain proper depth for transportation and buisness economy, etc...

Well, anyway some brainac enviro, anti-Asian carp Chicken Littles get the great idea we need "fish screens" on our dam.  We get all kinds of stuff stuck in screens except for Asian carp.

This was last week on the Lake side end of fish screen.  Looks like a 5' northern pike finally met his match?  Or is it an invasive king/coho?  I was gonna stab, pull this monster with the pike pole to investigate further, but didn't want get messy.

Can't be an Asian carp, he's going the wrong way.  The promise land, Lake is other way.  This fish is point downstream with flow.  Any, I am guessing northern by how long and skinny this monster is.

Lakeside of dam, highly compressed to get under The Board's file limit. "Collateral" damage from your friends and environmental "protectors" in the great state of Michigan:

20180503_175617.jpg

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The crazy stuff we have stuck in our Asian carp "fish screens" but never Asian carp. :lol:

Background:

Fish screens are stainless steel grates that are lowered into the sluice gates (slots) on the controlling works (or dam).  The lock is the boat "elevator" around the dam.  We can also run water thru dam/controlling works via 4 sluice gates that can open to 10' feet higher. The dam allows us to control water elevations in the lower pool, prevent flooding, aid in flushing and cleaning the river environment, prevent property damage, maintain proper depth for transportation and buisness economy, etc...

Well, anyway some brainac enviro, anti-Asian carp Chicken Littles get the great idea we need "fish screens" on our dam.  We get all kinds of stuff stuck in screens except for Asian carp.

This was last week on the Lake side end of fish screen.  Looks like a 5' northern pike finally met his match?  Or is it an invasive king/coho?  I was gonna stab, pull this monster with the pike pole to investigate further, but didn't want get messy.

Can't be an Asian carp, he's going the wrong way.  The promise land, Lake is other way.  This fish is point downstream with flow.  Any, I am guessing northern by how long and skinny this monster is.

Lakeside of dam, highly compressed to get under The Board's file limit. "Collateral" damage from your friends and environmental "protectors" in the great state of Michigan:

20180503_175617.jpg

pretty sure that's something in the trout/salmon family, not pike. but none of those species gets to 5' long. muskie, maybe. but that's definitely not a muskie and would be close to record size if it was. the only great lakes species that gets that long is sturgeon, and this isn't that.

not trying to call you out, but i don't think that's a 5' long fish. maybe 3-3.5. too bad just the same, even a 40" steelhead trout is a fantastic specimen!

58 minutes ago, wnysteel said:

pretty sure that's something in the trout/salmon family, not pike. but none of those species gets to 5' long. muskie, maybe. but that's definitely not a muskie and would be close to record size if it was. the only great lakes species that gets that long is sturgeon, and this isn't that.

not trying to call you out, but i don't think that's a 5' long fish. maybe 3-3.5. too bad just the same, even a 40" steelhead trout is a fantastic specimen!

Yeah 5' is extreme.  The sluice across 5'.

The fish is bent... So maybe it's around 4' or less.

Always comes back to 3.5! :lol:

Could be lake trout?  ???   I should have gaffed it for closer inspection but had boats waiting. ;)

And that's a shame.  Lake trout was top of food chain Lakes up till the 50s, then lamprey, pollution, etc... decimated them.  Then the alewives bursted in population from the Atlantic when the lakers went down in numbers.  Since 1967, they have been stocking invasive Pacific salmon in the Middle Lakes.  Since the lamprey eel, pollution has been controlled, why not return lake trout?  Lakers have a more varying diet than the invasive stocked salmon...AND lake trout are native. Numbers would self-sustain and less gov't intervention and $$$ in yearly stocking programs.  That would in turn "slam door" on Asian carp "invasion"... Alewife # number would increase blocking door on carp.  Stock more perch, pike too... They'd clean any small carp.  Right now, salmon are costly, we are subsidizing the charter industry and they simply don't belong in Middle Lakes. Charter and tourism doesn't create a good return the gov't investment like other industries (shipping) do.

Yet, we put fish screens up... Kill the big lake trout, create more collatetal damage as you can see in my pic.

Gov't is crazy!  They will protect the artificial salmon industry they created in 1967 & keep on throwing good money after bad money.

I guess that is something that I have seen.  We have a self-sustaining industrial shipping economy, a cleaned up environment that's only getting cleaner & cleaner thanks to that economy.  Yet, we stock, spend millions fighting an invasive (alewife) with another invasive (Pacific salmon) which creates an industry (charter fishing tourism) that needs gov't $$$ to subsidize it, which then leaves door wide open for another invasives (carp, etc...)

Gov't = crazy.  Yep, I have seen crazy gov't and it's not what you really think I would be saying (those who think they know where I am coming from).  It's just that certain factions in gov't are crazy.  Other parts of gov't are trying to get the heads out of azzes.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah 5' is extreme.  The sluice across 5'.

The fish is bent... So maybe it's around 4' or less.

Always comes back to 3.5! :lol:

Could be lake trout?  ???   I should have gaffed it for closer inspection but had boats waiting. ;)

And that's a shame.  Lake trout was top of food chain Lakes up till the 50s, then lamprey, pollution, etc... decimated them.  Then the alewives bursted in population from the Atlantic when the lakers went down in numbers.  Since 1967, they have been stocking invasive Pacific salmon in the Middle Lakes.  Since the lamprey eel, pollution has been controlled, why not return lake trout?  Lakers have a more varying diet than the invasive stocked salmon...AND lake trout are native. Numbers would self-sustain and less gov't intervention and $$$ in yearly stocking programs.  That would in turn "slam door" on Asian carp "invasion"... Alewife # number would increase blocking door on carp.  Stock more perch, pike too... They'd clean any small carp.  Right now, salmon are costly, we are subsidizing the charter industry and they simply don't belong in Middle Lakes. Charter and tourism doesn't create a good return the gov't investment like other industries (shipping) do.

Yet, we put fish screens up... Kill the big lake trout, create more collatetal damage as you can see in my pic.

Gov't is crazy!  They will protect the artificial salmon industry they created in 1967 & keep on throwing good money after bad money.

I guess that is something that I have seen.  We have a self-sustaining industrial shipping economy, a cleaned up environment that's only getting cleaner & cleaner thanks to that economy.  Yet, we stock, spend millions fighting an invasive (alewife) with another invasive (Pacific salmon) which creates an industry (charter fishing tourism) that needs gov't $$$ to subsidize it, which then leaves door wide open for another invasives (carp, etc...)

Gov't = crazy.  Yep, I have seen crazy gov't and it's not what you really think I would be saying (those who think they know where I am coming from).  It's just that certain factions in gov't are crazy.  Other parts of gov't are trying to get the heads out of azzes.

Do you realize you've written two pages in the "Crazy things you've seen" thread about a fish caught in a fish screen?

I gotta party with you Lee Harvey.

What's next?  An entry about a housefly buzzing around a light bulb?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Do you realize you've written two pages in the "Crazy things you've seen" thread about a fish caught in a fish screen?

I gotta party with you Lee Harvey.

What's next?  An entry about a housefly buzzing around a light bulb?

Wouldn't a moth be more likely than a housefly to buzz around a light bulb?

@ExiledInIllinois - Please expound upon, thank you.