Peter King MMQB: 5/7/18.

PIZ

Yes, Berg and Hapless.  You're right on.   He's going to keep on doing the same thing - talking to a lot of insiders, getting to cover the big games.   But he won't be responsible for a lot of stuff that adds stress to his current job. 

The stuff about giving the youngsters a chance is pure bull ****.   If he liked his job at SI, or if SI had reduced his responsibilities and given him more money, he would have stayed, youngsters be damned. 

My opinion of King changed the day he told this story.   He went to spring training and was sitting down the right field line.   Some young phenom he'd come to see, like Mike Trout, someone who has really highly touted but hadn't yet made a big splash in the majors, was playing.   The guy homered to right, and King wanted to save the ball as a souvenir.   He was pretty close, so he left his seat and headed to the open space behind the fence.   The ball was there on ground, and there was another ball out there, too.   Some nine year-old kid ran out to get the ball, and he asked King which ball was the home-run ball.   King, in his column explained that he  identified the wrong ball, so that the kid wouldn't take King's souvenir.    I'm not buying that King is leaving SI to give the youngsters a chance.  

• Like (+1) 2

I'm neutral on King. He provides a personal view into sports, which is nice sometimes.

I wouldn't read into the "why" he provided. It's probably only partly true and I think his main intention was to give credit to the other writers on his team before he leaves. Standard going-away talk.

2 hours ago, teef said:

they're not short, but if you spend a lot of time in your car, the berenstain bears on audio book is just wonderful.

Dover Publications puts out a very satisfying Berenstain Bears coloring book. Grab your best set of Crayolas and pair it with your fave Capri Sun flavor (may I suggest Mountain Cooler).

Bliss.

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I read it, and it doesn't chang me opinion on him one bit. In no way, shape, or form does that make me an idiot for not liking the man's work.

No, it makes you an idiot if you insult the man personally, call him names, etc., simply because you don't agree with his column.  I don't know if you in particular did that.  Do you think he's a bad person?

I could call myself an idiot for the way I've reacted to columnists like Jerry Sullivan over the years.  The difference is, I don't actually think Sully is a decent guy.

Just wanted to chime in that I love Peter King. I read MMQB every monday without fail.

Aside from his being from Boston and having a bit of an ego (what major national sports figure doesn't?), I really don't see why some Bills fans hate him so much. He's a good writer.

To each their own. I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I'll keep reading and enjoying his work.