Peter King MMQB: 5/7/18.

PIZ

I hope all of the idiots who posted their vitriol for King in the other thread a couple of days ago take the time to read the beginning of that column.

I'm sure they won't, but whatever.  This is a good dude.  Sports opinions are not important.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, eball said:

I hope all of the idiots who posted their vitriol for King in the other thread a couple of days ago take the time to read the beginning of that column.

I'm sure they won't, but whatever.  This is a good dude.  Sports opinions are not important.

I couldn't agree more.  

Sorry but that column just reinforces what a mediocre writer he is. He offers his opinion and advertises them as facts. There is nothing inhis column thatthe lunch pail fandoesn't already know or couldn't surmise on his own.

He is also very selective morally: he refuses to use the word Redskins in his column and obviously supports his openly gay daughter but will not support the collusion cases of Kaepernick or Reid. He likes to masquerade as a beacon of progressive values but refuses to touch his corporate master, the NFL. In other words, he is a hypocrite and corporate shill. No wonder the MSM is on its last legs.

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Sorry but that column just reinforces what a mediocre writer he is. He offers his opinion and advertises them as facts. There is nothing inhis column thatthe lunch pail fandoesn't already know or couldn't surmise on his own.

He is also very selective morally: he refuses to use the word Redskins in his column and obviously supports his openly gay daughter but will not support the collusion cases of Kaepernick or Reid. He likes to masquerade as a beacon of progressive values but refuses to touch his corporate master, the NFL. In other words, he is a hypocrite and corporate shill. No wonder the MSM is on its last legs.

In this week's column he specifically called out the NFL on the Reid situation.  And he does not offer his opinion as fact, he actually is careful to distinguish the two.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Literacy is not your bag.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Weird, I don't read it that way at all.  

First off, a majority of the time Peter King writes an interesting column.  I enjoy reading it.  

Secondly, his reason for leaving is "i have to make room for the next set of writes here at SI, i'm a 225 something pound gorilla that doesn't leave room for other writers!" (paraphrased) 

a) there are young writers at NBC too, believe it or not.  It's not some grand altruistic move on his behalf for the rest of the staff if he is screwing another set of set of young writers over at NBC once he moves.  So don't try to sell it at this selfless act.  Whatever his exact reason reason is for moving, it is not this. 

b)  calling yourself a 225 pound gorilla is weird.  it's also pretty egotistical.  even if it is true with regards to his column

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I Just finished Don Quixote. What was the last book you read?

Yet you don't adress the fact that he pointedly addresses the collusion issue.

25 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

First off, a majority of the time Peter King writes an interesting column.  I enjoy reading it.  

Secondly, his reason for leaving is "i have to make room for the next set of writes here at SI, i'm a 225 something pound gorilla that doesn't leave room for other writers!" (paraphrased) 

a) there are young writers at NBC too, believe it or not.  It's not some grand altruistic move on his behalf for the rest of the staff if he is screwing another set of set of young writers over at NBC once he moves.  So don't try to sell it at this selfless act.  Whatever his exact reason reason is for moving, it is not this. 

b)  calling yourself a 225 pound gorilla is weird.  it's also pretty egotistical.  even if it is true with regards to his column

Disagree. SI really DOES have some good younger writers at present. NBC? Not so much.

52 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

My exact thoughts when reading this.

Someone in the spotlight for as long as he has been for his work, you have to get an unrealistic view of self at some point.

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

225 isn’t he huge or maybe he has lost weight? That’s what came to my mind. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

I read it, and it doesn't chang me opinion on him one bit. In no way, shape, or form does that make me an idiot for not liking the man's work.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

One thing that I have noticed with age and also with message boards and social media. I really cannot find many, if any (and including myself) that do not have moments of being hypocritical and cherry picking items to fit my own or other people's agendas. This is a human trait. And just about everyone has it.  That's why I won't throw a lot of stones at experts anymore. We are all guilty at some level.

Great read. I have never had any problem with King, even when he said stuff I didn't like.  He always seems a straight shooter.

That said, I also kept reading the article...should we have tried to make a move for Trent Brown, the SF RT?  I know nothing about him.