The Yankees are Fun to Watch

Alaska Darin

So much young talent.  Today Domingo German started his first game and had a no hitter through six when he was lifted.  The bullpen gave up 4 in the 8th and all looked lost but they got 3 back in the eight on a RBI single by Gardener and a two run double  by Judge.  Gleyber Torres hit a walk-off three run homer in the bottom of the ninth to win it...in his FIFTEENTH career game.

I understand it's easy to hate the Yankees based on history but this is a good group and they play hard for 27 outs every night.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

So much young talent.  Today Domingo German started his first game and had a no hitter through six when he was lifted.  The bullpen gave up 4 in the 8th and all looked lost but they got 3 back in the eight on a RBI single by Gardener and a two run double  by Judge.  Gleyber Torres hit a walk-off three run homer in the bottom of the ninth to win it...in his FIFTEENTH career game.

I understand it's easy to hate the Yankees based on history but this is a good group and they play hard for 27 outs every night.

I grew up as a Mets fan in a Yankees household.  We watched both teams and we all actually loved both of them.

I don't like Boone.  I think he manages without instinct.  Pure numbers/analytics.  I might be wrong, because I haven't watched too many Yankee games; but I do read up on them and it seems he makes a lot of questionable moves.  He's got so much talent on that team that he can afford to make dumb moves (taking Tanaka out the other day) and still win.  I like this year's Yankees and they are, indeed, very exciting.  I think, with a real manager, they'd win 130 games.  With Boone, they'll make the playoffs, for sure; but they'd do that with Vince Young managing.  Either way, they are fun to watch and they do play hard.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

I grew up as a Mets fan in a Yankees household.  We watched both teams and we all actually loved both of them.

I don't like Boone.  I think he manages without instinct.  Pure numbers/analytics.  I might be wrong, because I haven't watched too many Yankee games; but I do read up on them and it seems he makes a lot of questionable moves.  He's got so much talent on that team that he can afford to make dumb moves (taking Tanaka out the other day) and still win.  I like this year's Yankees and they are, indeed, very exciting.  I think, with a real manager, they'd win 130 games.  With Boone, they'll make the playoffs, for sure; but they'd do that with Vince Young managing.  Either way, they are fun to watch and they do play hard.

I think he's managing like a guy who has never managed before.  The "instinct" will come with experience.  I don't disagree with you, I just don't think you fall out of bed into the top job into the sport and don't require an adjustment period.  I can't imagine my first managerial job being the New York Yankees.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think he's managing like a guy who has never managed before.  The "instinct" will come with experience.  I don't disagree with you, I just don't think you fall out of bed into the top job into the sport and don't require an adjustment period.  I can't imagine my first managerial job being the New York Yankees.

Willie Randolph took over, possibly, the most talented Mets team in their history and did nothing with them.  New York is a tough town in which a manager can cut his teeth.  Randolph never managed again ... deservedly so.

During the Alex Rodriguez-era of the Yankees, I refused to root them.  Once he left, I was back to hoping the best for them.  I think they erred with the Boone hire, but they have so much talent, they'll win in spite of him.  I only root against them when they play the Mets.  They're a fun team to watch.

taped both the Yankees/BoSox and Jays game last night, ditched the Jays in the third, still happy I watched the Yankees games, no-hitters are a dime a dozen.

Watched or listened to about 15 of them, and 3 perfectos.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:09 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I questioned Boone at first, but not now. He seems perfectly fine. No reason to cast suspicion on a guy who is 26-10! I watch most of the games, and nothing really sticks out as a problem. 

Related, from my favorite Yankees site: http://riveraveblues.com/2018/05/intangibles-17-1-hot-streak-170706/

How much credit does Boone deserve?

It’s impossible to say. Do the Yankees go 17-1 in these 18 games with Joe Girardi? Almost certainly not, and I say that only because I believe if you change one little thing, the results would be different, and the Yankees have been so good lately that any change would make the results worse almost by default. Had Clint Frazier been on the roster instead of David Hale, the Yankees probably wouldn’t go 17-1.

Remember though, the Yankees hired Aaron Boone because of his communication skills, and because they wanted to create a better clubhouse atmosphere. I don’t think they had a bad clubhouse under Girardi, not at all, but communication was a concern and the Yankees took steps to improve it. Boone seems relaxed — you know as well as I that Girardi would’ve been on edge in the dugout last night — and I think players feed off that. The current manager projects calm.

Ultimately, Boone is the manager and the buck stops with him. When the Yankees got off to a slow start, people were already questioning his hire. Now that they’re kicking butt, he’s getting credit. Boone obviously deserves some credit. How much is up for debate. Talent reigns surprise. You can’t win without talent. But is it possible Boone’s clubhouse skills, the clubhouse skills the Yankees invested in, are taking that talent to another level?

On 5/10/2018 at 1:10 PM, dave mcbride said:

Related, from my favorite Yankees site: http://riveraveblues.com/2018/05/intangibles-17-1-hot-streak-170706/

How much credit does Boone deserve?

It’s impossible to say. Do the Yankees go 17-1 in these 18 games with Joe Girardi? Almost certainly not, and I say that only because I believe if you change one little thing, the results would be different, and the Yankees have been so good lately that any change would make the results worse almost by default. Had Clint Frazier been on the roster instead of David Hale, the Yankees probably wouldn’t go 17-1.

Remember though, the Yankees hired Aaron Boone because of his communication skills, and because they wanted to create a better clubhouse atmosphere. I don’t think they had a bad clubhouse under Girardi, not at all, but communication was a concern and the Yankees took steps to improve it. Boone seems relaxed — you know as well as I that Girardi would’ve been on edge in the dugout last night — and I think players feed off that. The current manager projects calm.

Ultimately, Boone is the manager and the buck stops with him. When the Yankees got off to a slow start, people were already questioning his hire. Now that they’re kicking butt, he’s getting credit. Boone obviously deserves some credit. How much is up for debate. Talent reigns surprise. You can’t win without talent. But is it possible Boone’s clubhouse skills, the clubhouse skills the Yankees invested in, are taking that talent to another level?

IMO Torre's greatest skill as a manager with the Yankees was his ability to manage the clubhouse (and press) not the game. Always hard to find the line between a good/bad manager and the talent he's working with. The talent that's been handed to Boone is remarkable but I give him credit for weathering a slow start in a hyper-critical market. And at this point it's hard to argue with anything Cashman does with the team.

BTW, I hate the Yankees, they are no fun to watch for me. Lets Go Mets!  :)

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

Stanton's blast last night was awesome..

His second opposite field swat to the Casio sign this year? Someone else did it earlier.

You don’t even expect a ball coming to your seat that far away.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Bring on the Yankees, it will be a fun series and must watch TV. With Chris Sale’s question marks no one should be surprised if the Yanks win this series rather easily.

I still don’t believe the Sox can hit in the playoffs when tensions are high and only the best pitchers take the mound. They were easier to like this year, less whining, I just can’t buy in. 

Edited by Commonsense

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Boston needs a solid out of their starter, can’t compete with the bullpen

They can’t hit when it matters, as I expected. Cora got Price out of that game early enough that they still had a chance, the bullpen pitched their ass off but the bats remained silent. Expecting more of the same tonight, hoping I’m wrong. Sev is a beast at home.

Boone should be fired.

Girardi would have had this team well on their way to another ring.  I actually feel sad for Yankees fans.

Reminds me of the awesome Mets teams that did nothing during Willie Randolph's pathetic tenure.  Boone and Randolph have one thing in common  -  neither one was/is qualified to manage a baseball team at the highest level; especially on the biggest stage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Share most of your sentiments except for this line.  Pretty much all Yankee fans have seen the team win the Series

Totally get this.  But, like you, I've known that my favorite team was capable of more and only held back by piss poor management.

Most Yankees fans I've presented this to has stuck up for Boone, inexplicably.  The ones who actually see it ... I really do feel sorry for.