Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Both Eli and Flacco would easily start for the Bills, so how are they worse off?

I can confidently say the Ravens have the worst QB situation in the league. Joe Flacco has the 4th highest QB cap hit in 2018, and the 6th highest in 2019. Because of the way his contract is set up the Ravens realistically can't get out of it until 2020. Yet their record over the past 2 years is 17-15 and his passer rating was 24th and 26th in those years. The Ravens know they have a bad situation because they just traded into the 1st round for Lamar Jackson, who reportedly had a mid-round grade from most teams. At least Jackson is a question mark they can lean on. But that awful contract puts them in the worst QB situation in the NFL until at least 2020.

The Giants are in a similar situation but without the question mark to lean on. Manning has the 10th biggest QB cap hit in 2018 and 9th biggest on 2019. Their record over the past 2 years is 14-18 and his passer rating in those years was 22nd and 25th. Their backup is Kyle Lauletta aka Nate Peterman 2.0. And although Eli is 37 years old his GM has given him a vote of confidence and passed up the opportunity in a QB-rich draft to take one at #2 overall.

Until the Bills, Browns, Jets, Chiefs, and Cardinals prove otherwise the Ravens and Giants obviously have the worst QB situations in the NFL.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can confidently say the Ravens have the worst QB situation in the league. Joe Flacco has the 4th highest QB cap hit in 2018, and the 6th highest in 2019. Because of the way his contract is set up the Ravens realistically can't get out of it until 2020. Yet their record over the past 2 years is 17-15 and his passer rating was 24th and 26th in those years. The Ravens know they have a bad situation because they just traded into the 1st round for Lamar Jackson, who reportedly had a mid-round grade from most teams. At least Jackson is a question mark they can lean on. But that awful contract puts them in the worst QB situation in the NFL until at least 2020.

The Giants are in a similar situation but without the question mark to lean on. Manning has the 10th biggest QB cap hit in 2018 and 9th biggest on 2019. Their record over the past 2 years is 14-18 and his passer rating in those years was 22nd and 25th. Their backup is Kyle Lauletta aka Nate Peterman 2.0. And although Eli is 37 years old his GM has given him a vote of confidence and passed up the opportunity in a QB-rich draft to take one at #2 overall.

Until the Bills, Browns, Jets, Chiefs, and Cardinals prove otherwise the Ravens and Giants obviously have the worst QB situations in the NFL.

Hard to agree with any of this with AJM as the projected starter that no other team wanted, Allen as a boom or bust prospect, and Peterman as a marginal backup QB who might not last in the league. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hard to agree with any of this with AJM as the projected starter that no other team wanted, Allen as a boom or bust prospect, and Peterman as a marginal backup QB who might not last in the league. 

I'm not saying we have a good situation, I'm saying our situation is a question mark. The Ravens are not a question mark. They're paying Flacco $50 million to be a bottom 10 QB for the next 2 seasons. The Giants have a 37 year old declining QB and no one behind him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ok I can appreciate your argument, but as of right now they’re still better off than we are. But I’m saying like right now, at this very moment. But in 2 yrs Allen might be a bust and Lamar Jackson could be ballin as well ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

I don't remembering arguing with you earlier.

And no, we don't. We don't know anything yet.  Any of the drafted rookies could fall flat on their face including the guys who were drafted last year.  Most teams are one QB injury away from being the worst.  If Brady breaks a nail, they have nothing. 

We have no idea what McCarron can do.  We have no idea what Peterman will do.  Hell, we have no idea what our offensive coordinator will do.  He could make a fool proof system that allows Allen to start. 

47 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Ok, guy, what do you base it on then? Yes all three of those QBs are projected to be ready for week 1. 

The same theory to those looking at us saying we have the worst QB position in the league when ONE Pass has not even been thrown yet. 

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't remembering arguing with you earlier.

And no, we don't. We don't know anything yet.  Any of the drafted rookies could fall flat on their face including the guys who were drafted last year.  Most teams are one QB injury away from being the worst.  If Brady breaks a nail, they have nothing. 

We have no idea what McCarron can do.  We have no idea what Peterman will do.  Hell, we have no idea what our offensive coordinator will do.  He could make a fool proof system that allows Allen to start. 

the Patriots have Brian Hoyer. oh, wait.......

6 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Ok I can appreciate your argument, but as of right now they’re still better off than we are. But I’m saying like right now, at this very moment. But in 2 yrs Allen might be a bust and Lamar Jackson could be ballin as well ??‍♂️

That this very moment. Right now has ANY Game been played?  Heck as of Right now this very Moment Indy is in a horrible situation. When was the last time Luck was healthy in a game?

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The same theory to those looking at us saying we have the worst QB position in the league when ONE Pass has not even been thrown yet. 

I’m not going to order dominos because I don’t know what it tastes like. Even though I had dominos last week, and it was delicious 

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

Cardinals, far worse.

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has no guaranteed money after 2018.

9 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

He has no guaranteed money after 2018.

If they cut him after this season they will have to pay $16 million in dead cap. Not sure what his guarantees are but I always look at the cap number.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Miami

Arizona

Jacksonville

Good call!  Those 3 teams are the exact ones that came to my mind when I read the post.  Tannehill may be seasoned, but he's definitely not worthy enough to take his team to the playoffs.  If Bradford can actually stay healthy, then we can cross Arizona off this list.  But we all know that he can't even make it to the halfway point of any season, and then they'll be left with the overrated cockiness of Rosen.  And good gosh, Bortles is just not good at all.  I hope he spreads out his paycheck to his defense, because they deserve all the credit for him still being their starter.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll reserve judgement until McCarron or Allen actually throw a pass.

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of demonstrated QB track record in the NFL, I would have to say - I think there's a handful of contenders

-Indy, because of the uncertainty around Andrew Luck's injury makes it by no means a sure thing he comes back near his previous form and based on what they've shown so far McCarron > Brissett. 

-Chicago, because Trubisky might improve in his 2nd year, but based on what they've shown so far McCarron > Trubisky

If the question is "what teams have the lowest QB ceiling or potential?" then we would move up and perhaps Miami would move down, but right now, Tannehill has shown more than McCarron in the league, and Allen has shown nothin'.  Ditto Tampa Bay and Jax - in terms of what they've shown so far (YPG, etc) Winston and Bortles have shown more than McCarron.

Interesting question. 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If they cut him after this season they will have to pay $16 million in dead cap. Not sure what his guarantees are but I always look at the cap number.

Might be affordable for them.  Suggs will most likely be coming off the books soon too along with Jimmy Smith, Eric Weddle, the Dennis Pitta contract.