Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

17 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The homer in me is saying that McCarron is going to turn a lot of heads this year. But I’m basing that off of blind homerism. He’s thrown 14 passes in the last 2 years. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t named the starter for week one. Actually I’d be mad if he wasn’t. No need to rush the rookie right in

At least you're acknowledging that it's just hope and faith that have you optimistic, and that's perfectly fine. It's good to have hope that we'll do well.

I feel like us not having a veteran on the roster is a bigger issue than many fans want to believe. During the draft, you could hear many former players, experts, pundits, etc. all discuss the importance of having one for a rookie QB to lean on. Hell, one former player (I forgot who it was) on NFL Network's panel said it's the single most important thing for a rookie QB to have...

Our rookie not only isn't going to have that, but he's going to have the exact opposite. The 2 guys in his unit both want the starting job too. McCarron is going to take this chance to prove he deserves to be a starter. Peterman is going to try and show that last year was a fluke, and that he truly is an NFL caliber QB. Those guys might play nice, but all of them are looking at this off season as do-or-die, and won't be going out of their way to do each other any favors. 

Which is the complete opposite mindset as say Josh McCown, who has been in the league for 16 years, and truly wants Darnold to succeed. In fact, he said "The best thing I can do is look back in five years and Sam Darnold is in the Pro Bowl."

That's a pretty incredible asset for a rookie QB to have.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

There are other teams in the discussion with us as the uncertainty of the position is unpredictable.  Performance is the key and some teams have more experience but questionable performance.

Teams no better, no worse imo

Jets, Browns, Chiefs, Bears, 

Others with more experience but no performance guarantees :

Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Colts, Dolphins

That’s the thing, we are for sure the least experienced group. And performance wise, McCarrons numbers weren’t bad in his 4 career starts but he didn’t exactly set the field on fire either. I don’t think I need to remind everyone about Petermans performance last year. And obviously Allen has 0 career starts. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

No we dont. 

Cle, Chi, Indy (Luck throwing yet?), Jax, MIA, Hou (How will Watson respond to Knee), BAL

On paper, I'd say yes.  But ultimately it's really going to come down to the creativity of the coaching and play calling along with execution.  To look at it another way though is that we have the highest QB ceiling situation in the league because of one person.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No we dont. 

Cle, Chi, Indy (Luck throwing yet?), Jax, MIA, Hou (How will Watson respond to Knee), BAL

Based on experience and production, all those teams are better than us at the QB position. And yes, Luck is throwing the football 

I’d hate to be the Giants with an iffy and old Eli, knowing they just could have had their pick from 3 of the top 4. Also, when Brady falls off the cliff, where are they. A bunch of teams have good new QB’s. A bunch of teams have old guys.  Time will tell what we have....

14 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Based on experience and production, all those teams are better than us at the QB position. And yes, Luck is throwing the football 

Glad you dont base it on that. 

Does Anyone know how Flacco’s back is?

Watson going to recover from the Knee? 

Seeing Luck is throwing has he taken any hits on that Shoulder yet?

meaning you dont know how the QB situation is on any team until at least Preseason Ball. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Glad you dont base it on that. 

Does Anyone know how Flacco’s back is?

Watson going to recover from the Knee? 

Seeing Luck is throwing has he taken any hits on that Shoulder yet?

meaning you dont know how the QB situation is on any team until at least Preseason Ball. 

Ok, guy, what do you base it on then? Yes all three of those QBs are projected to be ready for week 1. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The Giants and Ravens have the worst QB situations in the NFL. Then you have us, Jets, Browns, and Cardinals as question marks. 

Both Eli and Flacco would easily start for the Bills, so how are they worse off?

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

So we have one QB who's never taken a snap, another thats played maybe 5 games or so as a backup and with that boatload of data you're saying we have the worse QB situation in the league.  Alrighty then.  I'll bank that.

The reason these posts are so silly is because any take on any QB (or other player) that has never played in the NFL is an OPINION.....based on zero data.  No one knows who will be good and who will suck.  They'll say this and they'll say that but "its just words folks".......Opinion.......and nothing more.  

I'll stop back at this hole in a few months.

Edited by jaybee
spelling

"On Paper" this Bills team might have the worst QB situation. But in 2015 when it was Tyrod and EJ Manuel as the QB's it was pretty easy to say the Bills were !@#$ed at QB. But Tyrod played way better than anyone thought he would and we had a decent QB situation. So who knows exactly how it will shake out. 

1 minute ago, jaybee said:

So we have one QB who's never taken a snap, another thats played maybe 5 games or so as a backup and with that boatload of data you're saying we have the worse QB situation in the league.  Alrighty then.  I'll bank that.

The reason these posts are so silly is because any take on any QB (or other player) that has never played in the NFL is an OPINION.....based on zero data.  No one knows who will be good and who will suck.  They'll say this and they'll say that but its just words folks.......Opinion.......and nothing more.  

I'll stop bavk at this hole in a few months.

Yes you are correct. There is no data. It’s like having no credit. Having bad credit is better than having no credit, because there is no data. That is half my argument. So when people say that our QBs are better than the Giants and the Ravens, it hurts my brain to even start to contemplate that logic

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

There are a few teams with questions at the position. You have the Chiefs and Chicago in pretty much the same,position as Buffalo with young and unproven guys with potential. Then there is the Texans that has the question mark of Watson returning to form and evolving his game over time when defenses catch up. 

You have teams like the Jags and Browns (if Taylor indeed starts) that have or may have teams with inadequate QB play but are able to be masked or a team like the Giants that have a declining and aging Manning.

What I see when I look at the QB room in Buffalo is hope. If AJ can play even at the Andy Dalton level we can be ok until Allen is up and ready. It seems we built a heckuva(on paper) defense that should keep us in most games. 

In my opinion for this season we have to have an incomplete/unknown grade on our situation until we see how AJ and Allen play. But I think this QB room has the potential to be really solid. 

• Like (+1) 1