Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, probably.

And that's ok too for now. I'm not going to pretend I like the Allen pick, but I hope he does well and am excited to see if he can take his game to the next level.

But realistically, yes, we have 3 guys with 6 total starts between them.

1. Rookie who's a project by any means, 0 starts

2. 5th Round Pick in his 2nd year, only 2 starts (neither of which he finished)

3. Backup for 3 years, started 4 games his rookie season & 0 since.

And no veteran QB to anchor and to mentor the unit. So yeah, probably the "worst" in terms of experience and on-field production.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

The homer in me is saying that McCarron is going to turn a lot of heads this year. But I’m basing that off of blind homerism. He’s thrown 14 passes in the last 2 years. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t named the starter for week one. Actually I’d be mad if he wasn’t. No need to rush the rookie right in

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206
  • Like (+1) 2

It's the coaching situation that's really scary... There's a brand new OC sharing the helm with a very ineffective QB's coach (from what I've seen).

Offense isn't looking to be a strength at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot depends on how well McCarron does personally. If you are asking as of right now with McCarron being a 5th round backup to an underwhelming QB at Cinci with a small body of pro work, Peterman being a 2nd year player whose pro resume from last year isn't the greatest (being generous here) and Josh Allen being a recent rookie draftee... I would say that is a fair statement.  There are a few teams who are in a similar situation. 

I'd say most uncertain rather than worst. We really don't know what we have in McCarron or Allen. Let's assume McCarron is a mediocre starter. If Allen is Kyle Boller 2.0 then yes, it's bad. If he's Rothelisberger 2.0 we've got one of the best QB situations in the league.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'd say most uncertain rather than worst. We really don't know what we have in McCarron or Allen. Let's assume McCarron is a mediocre starter. If Allen is Kyle Boller 2.0 then yes, it's bad. If he's Rothelisberger 2.0 we've got one of the best QB situations in the league.

There’s a lot of “ifs” in this post. But I guess “uncertain” is a nicer way to put it

There are other teams in the discussion with us as the uncertainty of the position is unpredictable.  Performance is the key and some teams have more experience but questionable performance.

Teams no better, no worse imo

Jets, Browns, Chiefs, Bears, 

Others with more experience but no performance guarantees :

Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Colts, Dolphins

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Browns is worse..

The unknown is preferable to me than the thought of Tyrod starting the first 8-9 games at least..,

I’d argue that, on paper, Tyrod Taylor is a much more established QB than AJ McCarron. Tyrod has been to a pro bowl and he’s “led” a team to the playoffs. Has 40+ starts in the league. Now I’m glad we moved on from tyrod and I’d rather have McCarron under center at this point because we know what we had Taylor. McCarron has yet to be seen

29 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

Miami

Arizona

Jacksonville

12 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Nailed it. Great take. It's a great unknown, and it is what it is. 4 games in it could be a raging dumpster fire, a rookie at the reins, or a former backup making a name for himself. Makes it incredibly hard to predict which makes for a vast array of outcomes for the 2019 season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1