What's Up With the Buffalo Blitz Paywall?

55 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dude, there are a few national papers..and the BN is not one. I for one love all the local stuff the BN does..i do not expect the BN to cover Washoington like the WAPO or NYT..differnt products for different audiences.

The 'local stuff' used to include local stories of importance, reports from school boards, municipal governments, local hard news stories.  Not tipsy people leering into a camera, and the [BN] passing it off as news.  I'm not expecting the [BN] to cover items on a statewide or national basis the way the large papers can and do.  I expect a professional report covering what any 55 year old was taught in grade school (the 5 Ws of journalism, not slang, not a reporter thinking it's a blog).  Aside from Doug Turner's occasional op ed pieces on Sunday, it's barely worth looking at.  

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

^^^^ I like seeing the tipsy young ladies:D

33 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Neophyte? I'll have you know Memphis ribs have absolutely NO SAUCE on them whatsoever.  Why you want to put sauce on a Memphis rib??

thats why i said NEOPHYTE..if you want sweet and rub and Memphis..its a non-sequitur..only way to get sweet is in the sauce..of which a true Memphis rib has none...again for you Neophytes!!!!!!!:D:beer:

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Remember when Terry Pegula gave TBN the finger a few years ago in regards to the Sabres writers being giant whiny man-babies?  Remember when TBN did nothing to change how their writers behaved and interacted with the community even after being publicly called out?  That's when I lost all respect for them.  I'd probably give them my money if they cleared out all the trash and hired people who are looking to have positive interactions with the community.  Instead we get a bunch of old jackasses who insult fans over social media, use their platform to B word and moan while vomiting out what they call opinion pieces that they won't even admit are based on information that is factually wrong.  

In short

- Fire the whiny man-babies that make up most of your writing staff

- Hire competent writers that actually publish engaging pieces not unintelligent rant pieces that I could get from my 90 year old neighbor

-Control the social media interaction of your employees like every other self respecting company

-Maybe get a guy that knows football to write about the team instead of an out of touch baseball guy (I'm looking at you Sullivan)

-Maybe take responsibility for your failings instead of posting nonsensical factually incorrect bull **** on a fan site.

2 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

Remember when Terry Pegula gave TBN the finger a few years ago in regards to the Sabres writers being giant whiny man-babies?  Remember when TBN did nothing to change how their writers behaved and interacted with the community even after being publicly called out?  That's when I lost all respect for them.  I'd probably give them my money if they cleared out all the trash and hired people who are looking to have positive interactions with the community.  Instead we get a bunch of old jackasses who insult fans over social media, use their platform to B word and moan while vomiting out what they call opinion pieces that they won't even admit are based on information that is factually wrong.  

In short

- Fire the whiny man-babies that make up most of your writing staff

- Hire competent writers that actually publish engaging pieces not unintelligent rant pieces that I could get from my 90 year old neighbor

-Control the social media interaction of your employees like every other self respecting company

-Maybe get a guy that knows football to write about the team instead of an out of touch baseball guy (I'm looking at you Sullivan)

-Maybe take responsibility for your failings instead of posting nonsensical factually incorrect bull **** on a fan site.

I understand much of the disdain here for a couple of writers on the BN payroll, but expecting them to kowtow to the demands of a team's owner is bush league.  That was one of Terry's weaker moments as an owner IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stony said:

I understand much of the disdain here for a couple of writers on the BN payroll, but expecting them to kowtow to the demands of a team's owner is bush league.  That was one of Terry's weaker moments as an owner IMO.  

I think expecting the team to bend over backwards and treat them like royalty is what makes this paper trash.  Maybe if their employees conducted themselves better none of it would have happened.  If I was the one in charge of the paper, I'd be questioning why exactly my employees are constantly taking personal shots at the guy that provides us with the majority of our content and his family.

Edited by HiddenInLight

I think expecting the team to bend over backwards and treat them like royalty is what makes this paper trash.  Maybe if their employees conducted themselves better none of it would have happened.  If I was the one in charge of the paper, I'd be questioning why exactly my employees are constantly taking personal shots at the guy that provides us with the majority of our content and his family.

I'm confused.  The writers have asked the Bills to treat them better?

3 minutes ago, stony said:

I'm confused.  The writers have asked the Bills to treat them better?

The writers flipped out when the Sabres said they'd no longer provide special treatment to them, and told them that they would have to make their own arrangements instead of the team doing it for them.  IIRC this was before Terry bought the bills.

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

The writers flipped out when the Sabres said they'd no longer provide special treatment to them, and told them that they would have to make their own arrangements instead of the team doing it for them.  IIRC this was before Terry bought the bills.

Gotcha.  I think you're right, this pre-dates the Bills/Pegulas.  I remember some ruffled feathers w/ the Sabres.  I think Terry's whining about the treatment of his team w the media was Sabres-related, too.  Overall, I think the relationships with the BN and the Bills has improved.  Perhaps this is due to Berchtold's departure.    

2 minutes ago, stony said:

Gotcha.  I think you're right, this pre-dates the Bills/Pegulas.  I remember some ruffled feathers w/ the Sabres.  I think Terry's whining about the treatment of his team w the media was Sabres-related, too.  Overall, I think the relationships with the BN and the Bills has improved.  Perhaps this is due to Berchtold's departure.    

It was all sabres related, and was all based on TBN writers throwing a temper tantrum because the Sabres stopped providing them with special treatment only for them to use it to spit in their face.

I think it would improve even more if they hired some writers capable of publishing interesting and thought provoking articles instead of copy/pasting the same tired old takes and columns.

Edited by HiddenInLight

Just now, HiddenInLight said:

I think it would improve even more if they hired some writers capable of publishing interesting and thought provoking articles instead of copy/pasting the same tired old takes and columns.

That's where there's a disconnect for me.  It would probably improve the BN's standing with their readers and many on this board.  But it shouldn't have any bearing on their ability to work in a professional manner with the team.  This isn't just a Pegula thing, either.  Billionaire owner's are notoriously thin-skinned weenies.  

1 minute ago, stony said:

That's where there's a disconnect for me.  It would probably improve the BN's standing with their readers and many on this board.  But it shouldn't have any bearing on their ability to work in a professional manner with the team.  This isn't just a Pegula thing, either.  Billionaire owner's are notoriously thin-skinned weenies.  

You mean besides their inability to work with ANYBODY in a professional manor?  I wouldn't call their writers professional in the slightest.

You mean besides their inability to work with ANYBODY in a professional manor?  I wouldn't call their writers professional in the slightest.

I think we're arguing different points.  You seem to have personal problems with their writers.  Did Tim Graham insult you on Twitter?  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

I think we're arguing different points.  You seem to have personal problems with their writers.  Did Tim Graham insult you on Twitter?  

Actually I've never had any personal interaction with any of them.  I just think that it's unacceptable that you hear about this type of behavior constantly.  If I were to go on twitter and publicly talk trash about my company's largest client, their family, and all of the individual smaller clients we have I'd likely be understandably fired.  Why aren't they held to the same standards?  They can't act like adults and their bosses wonder why nobody wants to read their "articles".

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

Actually I've never had any personal interaction with any of them.  I just think that it's unacceptable that you hear about this type of behavior constantly.  If I were to go on twitter and publicly talk trash about my company's largest client, their family, and all of the individual smaller clients we have I'd likely be understandably fired.  Why aren't they held to the same standards?  They can't act like adults and their bosses wonder why nobody wants to read their "articles".

Because the Bills aren't their clients!!!   They have no obligation to either team to paint them in the best possible light.  That's what state radio is for.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You want a Portapotamus for Christmas?  :unsure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvOrtcrA5c

:wub: I do!

I never saw the video though. Her voice sounds unusual coming from that little body! 

Family lore had it that I was conceived to that song. I had forgotten that. Or blocked it out maybe.

This board is becoming a journey into self discovery for me. 

9 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

:wub: I do!

I never saw the video though. Her voice sounds unusual coming from that little body! 

Family lore had it that I was conceived to that song. I had forgotten that. Or blocked it out maybe.

This board is becoming a journey into self discovery for me. 

Blocked it out, definitely blocked it out.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stony said:

Because the Bills aren't their clients!!!   They have no obligation to either team to paint them in the best possible light.  That's what state radio is for.  

This is the problem...........idiots like this HiddenInLight who think the newspaper should view the Bills as a client.:doh:

TBN is free advertising for the Bills and Sabres.  

And let's be honest here.........these reporters know A LOT more about the personal workings within the organization than they report on.

I could see if they were posting articles questioning the appropriateness of TPegs relationship with Kim when she worked for him or outing Russ for being a horny cheater before Kim fired him.........that's not the case........they write about the team and the teams have been awful for most of the past two decades.

Naturally the tenor is going to be more negative than positive until a sustained change in performance proves it should be otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2