What's Up With the Buffalo Blitz Paywall?

Just now, JoshBarnett said:

I have had the opportunity to message with a number of people on this board and post here in my time in Buffalo, but I will again identify myself as the executive sports editor of the Buffalo News. 

As I have said before, I am happy to answer questions about our business model and our coverage, etc. You can message me here, email me at jbarnett@buffnews.com or write in this or the other threads about this subject. 

I think people here find me to be generally responsive even if you don’t agree with our approach. 

Thanks, Josh 

I don't know if this is feasible or not, but have you ever considered putting a subscription package together that includes both the Bills and Sabres coverage? 

Or ideally rolling the Sabres section into the Blitz subscription cost... :D

I only really access the sports sections, so paying double the cost (of the Blitz) for the digital subscription didn't make sense for me personally. 

i was actually subscribing to the BN Blitz. When I signed up I wrongly assumed it covered the sports news and when I seen that I could still only read a certain number of other sports articles a month I decided not to renew. I would definitely be interested in a subscription that covered both the Bills and Sabres though. 

Also, I believe I may have mentioned this before, but I really enjoy any/all of the behind the scenes type pieces where we fans get a look behind the curtain. I would love to see more articles like that!  Maybe it's just me, but I feel like we don't see those types of pieces as often as we used to (maybe I am just remembering wrong...). That was always something that I felt really set the Buffalo News' coverage apart from the rest. 

Thanks for your time, and for coming here to answer questions. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't know if this is feasible or not, but have you ever considered putting a subscription package together that includes both the Bills and Sabres coverage? 

Or ideally rolling the Sabres section into the Blitz subscription cost... :D

I only really access the sports sections, so paying double the cost (of the Blitz) for the digital subscription didn't make sense for me personally. 

i was actually subscribing to the BN Blitz. When I signed up I wrongly assumed it covered the sports news and when I seen that I could still only read a certain number of other sports articles a month I decided not to renew. I would definitely be interested in a subscription that covered both the Bills and Sabres though. 

Also, I believe I may have mentioned this before, but I really enjoy any/all of the behind the scenes type pieces where we fans get a look behind the curtain. I would love to see more articles like that!  Maybe it's just me, but I feel like we don't see those types of pieces as often as we used to (maybe I am just remembering wrong...). That was always something that I felt really set the Buffalo News' coverage apart from the rest. 

Thanks for your time, and for coming here to answer questions. 

That's a good suggestion.  I'd like to throw in Gusto, too.  I'd be covered with food and sports!

19 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

Well, here are I am again. ... First, I did read everything I got. Second, I did not respond individually to every single one because I took the questions that I got and rolled them into a long response that I posted on this site. In many cases, I thought there was more value in responding to them publicly than individually so the entire community could read them. If BadLandsMeanie or others were offended by not getting an individual response, I apologize and will take that as a lesson learned moving forward. 

I also want to address the question as to what I did with the feedback that I received and is appreciated. I did one solicitation when we started and then another at the beginning of the offseason.

* We were asked about doing a fan column and having someone on this board write for us. Kelly The Dog wrote almost the entire season and beyond and was really great to have aboard.

* We were asked about gambling. We brought on Marc Lawrence, a nationally recognized handicapper, to write about stat trends, betting trends and the line in the Bills game each week.

* We were asking about off the field work and charitable things that players do. We wrote about Vontae Davis commitment to foster care, Lorenzo Alexander's foundation and have a stories in the works about one of the new signee's off field works among others. 

* We were asked about velocity as it relates to Josh Allen. We talked to myriad experts and evaluators in the league about how it's important to fall in love with how hard a player throws. 

* We were asked about what happens on a site visit when a player comes to OBD. We wrote story and that story was referenced in a thread on this board. 

Those are just a starting point off the top of my head. 

The point was made here and in previous thread that you can get the "same" Bills information elsewhere. I think we continue to evolve and that statement -- if it were true at the outset -- is less true now and will be less true next week and next month and so. Remember, I started the first day of the season. We are in a daily conversation internally about how to add value to this product -- on the content side, on the promotion site (for those of you who live in the Buffalo area, we had a pre-draft event at the Buffalo History Museum) and on the user experience side. Look at the magnitude and depth of our draft coverage -- we were the only non-TV local media outlet in Buffalo in Dallas for the draft; we did in-depth features every week the last Sunday in January through the Sunday before the draft on either the quarterback prospects or the means in which quarterbacks are evaluated; we did features on every Bills pick (and by features, I mean more than we watched some tape and gave the pick a grade). The undrafted free agents and rookie camp invites have come out from various sources on Twitter. We are actually telling you something about them. Did you see the story about the Penn State linebacker who is coming to Bills rookie camp and putting his admission to medical school on hold and how he and his wife have started a worldwide cause to help young people get shoes after their mission trips to Honduras? And just recently, we did a long piece on Josh Allen's arrival in Buffalo and talked to people who have known him for years about the tweet controversy; we have another Allen project in the works. We did a story on the fan travelling the world with a Bills flag and the world landmarks where he raised the flag. Ryan Groy could be the starting center on this team and we told you how his father's death in a snowmobile accident at Ryan's bachelor party has shaped him and how he was the one who walked his sister down the aisle at her wedding.  Look at the coverage we did related to Russ Brandon this week with more to come. We have so many things on the drawing board for minicamp. We already are planning our season preview.

Here's what we're not doing with some exceptions: We're not cutting and pasting someone else's mock draft and calling that a post behind the paywall. We're not assembling tweets and expecting you to pay for it. Anything that is readily available from other sources is free on our site. 

Let me also add some context here: There are two subscription plans at the BN -- one is overall for the entire site and one is for Blitz. We recognize that some people, especially those outside the area, might not be interested in local news but care deeply about the Bills. We didn't -- and don't expect -- those Bills fans to pay a higher fee when they don't want a large portion of the product. So we created Blitz at a reasonable price point for that audience. We are among the few -- if not only -- traditional news organization doing that. Look around at the paywall structure for other news outlets in other markets, and these are for any story -- Boston Globe 2 free stories per month; New York Times, 10 free stories per 7 days; Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 5 free stories per 7 days; Detroit, 10 per 7 days; Phoenix, 10 per 7 days; Green Bay, 10 per 7 days; Nashville, 10 per 7 days. Those are just a few examples. 

So the elephant in the room again continues to be the disdain that some of you have for members of my staff. I am not going to be able to reverse years of animus in weeks or months or maybe even years. But I would urge you to look at the totality of the product, the quality of the work being done by our team. No one is covering the Bills in the way and with the depth that we are. We are using the expertise our staff has and then adding in the access that we have to players, coaches and people around the league to provide a complete a picture as we can. 

This reply ended up longer than I intended, but hopefully you can tell how passionate I am about what I do and how committed we are to getting this right and serving the Bills audience in the best way that we can. 

As always, I am available to answer questions here or via email, jbarnett@buffnews.com. 

Thank you for reading, Josh

In all honesty and not a reflection on your job. But I stopped reading after your bullet points. My reaction is you believe those small things are unique,They are not. Get some true journalisim not a bunch of clownish, tired negative opinion writers.

It's has really got old. I  do understand that will never happen. i really find way better and more importantly objective articles all over the place in regards too the Buffalo sports teams. If Buffett wouldn't have bailed out the snooze years ago for the reasons he stated. It would be long gone by now.  Good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Dude. You can't read. I had written " No harm no foul". That expression means precisely that I do not feel wronged.

I keep having to answer responses from you that are not about what I wrote, and that don't make sense. 

So please let me stop now. Thank you.

Interesting.

37 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

If BadLandsMeanie or others were offended by not getting an individual response, I apologize and will take that as a lesson learned moving forward. 

I was not offended. I even said so. :( I wrote "No harm no foul".

Poster Cripple Creek is the one who read my response to another poster, restated it as that I was offended, and posted that.

Then I talked with him about my not being offended.

Now I am talking to you about my not being offended. 

I will now instead go plant some flowers.

The take home message here to one and all is, I am not that easy to offend.

Since that bit of my back and forth with Hapless Bills Fan, in my exchange with him addressing what he wrote, won't go away. I will explain then go plant my flowers.

I spent a fair amount of time thinking up ideas to send along, and a fair amount of time typing it. Most of it was suggestions for your business model, suggestions that you did not ask for, that I posted in one of your previous threads. Another part was an email of suggestions about content and about possible contributors you might find helpful. You had asked for that information. There were no responses so I figured "Oh" that was't a rewarding enough experience that I will want to do that again.

That isn't being offended, or annoyed, or even miffed. It was being "meh".

OH! I almost forgot. What DID offend me was your paper publishing that big exclusive interview with the guy who cut his kids mom head off and left her on the sidewalk for his children to find in the morning. That was revolting. That did offend me. 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

Three replies:

To Best Player: I did not say the bullet points were unique. I was asked what we did with the suggestions generated by this board. Those were some of the suggestions we implemented by request. 

To BadLands: Understood. There might be others whom I might not have replied to individually and might feel differently. Also, I appreciate your suggestions. 

To stony: there are a lot of plans on the drawing board; many involve the Sabres and a combined product.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

Well, here are I am again. ... First, I did read everything I got. Second, I did not respond individually to every single one because I took the questions that I got and rolled them into a long response that I posted on this site. In many cases, I thought there was more value in responding to them publicly than individually so the entire community could read them. If BadLandsMeanie or others were offended by not getting an individual response, I apologize and will take that as a lesson learned moving forward. 

I also want to address the question as to what I did with the feedback that I received and is appreciated. I did one solicitation when we started and then another at the beginning of the offseason. (....)

First off, Josh, thanks for weighing in and responding here.  I want you to know it is appreciated!

I do think it's "best practice customer service" to respond individually to everyone who writes you, even if it's a short, canned "Thank you for your comments, I've crafted a single long response you can read at (link)  Thanks again and please don't hesitate to contact me in future with further ideas and feedback!"

So the elephant in the room again continues to be the disdain that some of you have for members of my staff. I am not going to be able to reverse years of animus in weeks or months or maybe even years. But I would urge you to look at the totality of the product, the quality of the work being done by our team. No one is covering the Bills in the way and with the depth that we are. We are using the expertise our staff has and then adding in the access that we have to players, coaches and people around the league to provide a complete a picture as we can.

Ha!  Usually the "elephant in the room" is term for a problem no one is talking about.  What we have here is not that thing.   Most of us who feel that way are quite explicit.

"Disdain for members of your staff" is, for most of us, not an accurate descriptive.  I have no personal disdain for anyone at TBN.  For all I know, Bucky Gleason is a great guy who rescues puppies and good to have on hand when your car breaks down on the freeway at 2 am.  For all I know, Jerry Sullivan rescues kittens, manages a foundation that supports injured emergency responders, and rocks a mean recipe for BBQ ribs.

It's entirely about how they write - not the negativity per se.  Negativity has its place, it's sometimes deserved.  But it seems to me as if both of them have fallen into a rut over the years to start with a negative narrative, collect quotes or background only to the extent that supports their narrative, and then pull the trigger.  It comes off as knee-jerk, shallow, and sloppy.  I think the reader deserves more and TBN editors should ask more of them.  I think both of them used to ask more of themselves! 

I am sure I would enjoy much of the content on TBN Blitz, but this analogy seems a propos:  The other day, I was having a pleasant walk through a local garden when I encountered the most gawdawful stench.  It turned out to be a leaking portapotty brought on site for a construction team.  Man, was it ripe.  Needless to say, that small aspect of the totality of the garden rather spoiled my enjoyment of the rest of the beautiful spring blooms I would otherwise have lingered to observe.

As always, I am available to answer questions here or via email, jbarnett@buffnews.com. 

My one constructive suggestion would be to reach out to SDS and Nervous Guy and explore whether, with the new TBD software, there is now a way to indicate which TBN articles are outside the paywall.

Thank you for making yourself available and for responding!

Hapless

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

<snip>

I am sure I would enjoy much of the content on TBN Blitz, but this analogy seems a propos:  The other day, I was having a pleasant walk through a local garden when I encountered the most gawdawful stench.  It turned out to be a leaking portapotty brought on site for a construction team.  Man, was it ripe.  Needless to say, that small aspect of the totality of the garden rather spoiled my enjoyment of the rest of the beautiful spring blooms I would otherwise have lingered to observe.

<snip>

I'm speechless. This is almost poetry. But you can't have proper poetry about a portapotty. It is a wonderful way to describe it and captures my exact sentiments in a way I didn't even understand until you put it so perfectly. You have helped me to grow and understand myself better. :) Plus it was very very funny.

And to Mr Josh Barnett, I apologize for Hapless insensitive remark above. :mellow: Please believe me we are not all like that and I in no way endorse his callous metaphor to describe certain of your staff members' writings.

In an effort to distance myself from those remarks, and to begin to heal the rift Hapless has created between the board annd TBN with his metaphor, I will say that Jay Skurski's recounting of Brandon Beane's draft counts for me as among the very best works I have ever read about the Bills. It was exceptionally well done. I was engaging, absorbing, and he made it suspenseful somehow even though we already know what happened.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, Gale Gilbert said:

It's $2.99 a month and it helps support the local paper. Big deal. 

This just in:  If the paper would hustle for current stories, cater to their readership, remedy their digital problems, etc.  they'd sell the rag without gimmicks.  

On 5/5/2018 at 9:12 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so inexpensive I don’t even know how this registers as a complaint. It’s less than a cup of coffee a month. If you don’t want to read the writers then don’t subscribe. If you do then it’s ridiculously  cheap. I don’t understand the vitriol. 

Well, for one reason, it was ridiculously FREE with the rest of the paper for lo these many years!

On 5/5/2018 at 8:14 PM, Dirtbag said:

expecting payment for content isn't a scam. i don't pay since i don't like the writers, but there's nothing scammy about it. gotta get paid somehow.

I will not pay because I do not want to contribute to dirtbags such as Sullivan salary,  

The Buffalo News has let him bash the Bills since Superbowl and only money they have gotten from me is cost of one newspaper which I bought for my mother.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

I'm speechless. This is almost poetry. But you can't have proper poetry about a portapotty. It is a wonderful way to describe it and captures my exact sentiments in a way I didn't even understand until you put it so perfectly. You have helped me to grow and understand myself better. :) Plus it was very very funny.

And to Mr Josh Barnett, I apologize for Hapless insensitive remark above. :mellow: Please believe me we are not all like that and I in no way endorse his callous metaphor to describe certain of your staff members' writings.

In an effort to distance myself from those remarks, and to begin to heal the rift Hapless has created between the board annd TBN with his metaphor, I will say that Jay Skurski's recounting of Brandon Beane's draft counts for me as among the very best works I have ever read about the Bills. It was exceptionally well done. I was engaging, absorbing, and he made it suspenseful somehow even though we already know what happened.

I can't believe you compared TBN to an overripe porta potty. 

(joke)

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2018 at 10:34 AM, JoshBarnett said:

I also want to address the question as to what I did with the feedback that I received and is appreciated. I did one solicitation when we started and then another at the beginning of the offseason.

* We were asked about doing a fan column and having someone on this board write for us. Kelly The Dog wrote almost the entire season and beyond and was really great to have aboard.

* We were asked about gambling. We brought on Marc Lawrence, a nationally recognized handicapper, to write about stat trends, betting trends and the line in the Bills game each week.

* We were asking about off the field work and charitable things that players do. We wrote about Vontae Davis commitment to foster care, Lorenzo Alexander's foundation and have a stories in the works about one of the new signee's off field works among others. 

* We were asked about velocity as it relates to Josh Allen. We talked to myriad experts and evaluators in the league about how it's important to not fall in love with how hard a player throws. 

* We were asked about what happens on a site visit when a player comes to OBD. We wrote story and that story was referenced in a thread on this board. 

Those are just a starting point off the top of my head. 

The point was made here and in previous thread that you can get the "same" Bills information elsewhere. I think we continue to evolve and that statement -- if it were true at the outset -- is less true now and will be less true next week and next month and so. Remember, I started the first day of the season. We are in a daily conversation internally about how to add value to this product -- on the content side, on the promotion site (for those of you who live in the Buffalo area, we had a pre-draft event at the Buffalo History Museum) and on the user experience side. Look at the magnitude and depth of our draft coverage -- we were the only non-TV local media outlet in Buffalo in Dallas for the draft; we did in-depth features every week the last Sunday in January through the Sunday before the draft on either the quarterback prospects or the means in which quarterbacks are evaluated; we did features on every Bills pick (and by features, I mean more than we watched some tape and gave the pick a grade). The undrafted free agents and rookie camp invites have come out from various sources on Twitter. We are actually telling you something about them. Did you see the story about the Penn State linebacker who is coming to Bills rookie camp and putting his admission to medical school on hold and how he and his wife have started a worldwide cause to help young people get shoes after their mission trips to Honduras? And just recently, we did a long piece on Josh Allen's arrival in Buffalo and talked to people who have known him for years about the tweet controversy; we have another Allen project in the works. We did a story on the fan travelling the world with a Bills flag and the world landmarks where he raised the flag. Ryan Groy could be the starting center on this team and we told you how his father's death in a snowmobile accident at Ryan's bachelor party has shaped him and how he was the one who walked his sister down the aisle at her wedding.  Look at the coverage we did related to Russ Brandon this week with more to come. We have so many things on the drawing board for minicamp. We already are planning our season preview.

Here's what we're not doing with some exceptions: We're not cutting and pasting someone else's mock draft and calling that a post behind the paywall. We're not assembling tweets and expecting you to pay for it. Anything that is readily available from other sources is free on our site. 

Let me also add some context here: There are two subscription plans at the BN -- one is overall for the entire site and one is for Blitz. We recognize that some people, especially those outside the area, might not be interested in local news but care deeply about the Bills. We didn't -- and don't expect -- those Bills fans to pay a higher fee when they don't want a large portion of the product. So we created Blitz at a reasonable price point for that audience. We are among the few -- if not only -- traditional news organization doing that. Look around at the paywall structure for other news outlets in other markets, and these are for any story -- Boston Globe 2 free stories per month; New York Times, 10 free stories per 7 days; Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 5 free stories per 7 days; Detroit, 10 per 7 days; Phoenix, 10 per 7 days; Green Bay, 10 per 7 days; Nashville, 10 per 7 days. Those are just a few examples. 

This reply ended up longer than I intended, but hopefully you can tell how passionate I am about what I do and how committed we are to getting this right and serving the Bills audience in the best way that we can. 

First off, let me start by saying that I don't like that you are here and stop by every BN thread. People will hold back on their true opinions when you are here. Furthermore, I do not believe you when you say you are here to answer questions and learn, I believe you were hired by BN for one reason, and that is damage control and controlling the image/brand.

The #1 thing people ask of the BN is consistent and obvious, better writers. Sullivan and Harrington have a disgusting stench about them that can be smelled from several counties over. They are awful, and in my controversial opinion contribute to the team's losing by bringing an awful negative energy to the Sabres and Bills. Any positive articles they write always come off to me as disingenuous and a favor to the editor. They are petty and can never be wrong. 

You talk about having a fan writing articles (nobody cares), talking about off-field charity (nobody truly cares and it's usually PR nonsense and tax writeoffs for the sports leagues, write about that), and gambling which some people care about but I personally think corrupts everything about sports. And then you ignore the elephant in the room. AKA the only thing that anybody really cares about. All the inexpensive, supplementary band-aids in the world won't fix that primary issue. 

Look, I don't care about the $2.99 fee, you guys are going out of business regardless. Your overall business model is unsustainable in 2018. You would charge more if you had anything resembling quality. You'll probably be sold in a few years after Buffett passes or completely steps down. 

I know you have no control over Sullivan and Harrington and are probably sick of coming on here everyday dancing around the issue and being inauthentic, but your boss's addiction to the status quo is the downfall of your paper. What people really want is fresh and exciting stories. And silver linings in the cloud. "How high is Josh Allen's ceiling?", "Could the Bills win the Super Bowl this year?", "Let's hear fan's ideas for their dream Bills stadium, no idea is off limits!". Instead we get Harrington calling out Pegula's daughter for hiding behind her dog's Twitter handle. Great journalism. Let's hear more of Harrington's personal beefs with teenagers. 

There are many stories for you to write about that are interesting and get clicks. Why are sports leagues suddenly pushing gambling and the Vegas Knights at the same time? What's up with Cliff Benson and Second Mile? Is the Italian mob still alive and active behind the scenes in the Buffalo community (answer : yes)? Any undisclosed conflicts of interests between fan message boards and sports teams? Lots of untouched trails. 

On 5/6/2018 at 10:34 AM, JoshBarnett said:

Here's what we're not doing with some exceptions: We're not cutting and pasting someone else's mock draft and calling that a post behind the paywall. We're not assembling tweets and expecting you to pay for it. Anything that is readily available from other sources is free on our site

This is untrue. Just a couple of days ago there was an article behind your paywall recapping the interview that Bill Parcells did on One Bills Live, which is available for free on the Buffalo Bills website.

John Murphy and Steve Tasker conducted an interview Bills Parcells and the interview is available for free with the full audio posted on the Buffalo Bills website. The BN then recaps the interview and sells the recap it as part of the Blitz package.

It's not that big a deal to me, but I wanted to point this out.

Edited by vincec

22 minutes ago, vincec said:

This is untrue. Just a couple of days ago there was an article behind your paywall recapping the interview that Bill Parcells did on One Bills Live, which is available for free on the Buffalo Bills website.

John Murphy and Steve Tasker conducted an interview Bills Parcells and the interview is available for free with the full audio posted on the Buffalo Bills website. The BN then recaps the interview and sells the recap it as part of the Blitz package.

It's not that big a deal to me, but I wanted to point this out.

You are incorrect. There are a minimum of 4-5 free pieces most days. That was among the free pieces for that day. 

Here is the link and anyone should be able to access (unless you have used your free article maximum outside of Blitz).

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/bills-parcells-met-with-josh-allen-says-hes-committed-to-trying-to-develop/