Beane & McDermott #1?

This may be a better team than we fielded in 2017 but we may have a worse record.   It happens.   And if we do lose more games than we did last year, but i see progress especially at QB, i'll still be encouraged.  Knowing we have all our 2019 draft picks in addition to some 80 million in cap space to make a serious run in 2019.    But i'm not writing off 2018 just yet, we have a veteran QB, we have an improved defense.   Just need to add some depth and talent to the Oline and the WRs. 

the only thing this team had going for it last year was the picks....and that was without a pass rush.

i also expect to see at least twice as many passing yards. either way, we can't possibly underachieve from last year.

i think we will be one of the most improved teams in the league.

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

This may be a better team than we fielded in 2017 but we may have a worse record.   It happens.   And if we do lose more games than we did last year, but i see progress especially at QB, i'll still be encouraged.  Knowing we have all our 2019 draft picks in addition to some 80 million in cap space to make a serious run in 2019.    But i'm not writing off 2018 just yet, we have a veteran QB, we have an improved defense.   Just need to add some depth and talent to the Oline and the WRs. 

i for one am very excited and believe in a.j.  at least we will get twice as much production from the passing game...which has not been able to establish timing routes and rhythm since orton.

if we can get to the end of october 500 or better, we have a good chance to go on quite a winning streak the 2nd half especially since most are at home.

let's say we lose...balt. , la , gb , minny and ne twice...the rest of the games should be w's. if we steal 2 of those 6, we will command a wildcard.  i am expecting no less than 10-6.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

the only thing this team had going for it last year was the picks....and that was without a pass rush.

i also expect to see at least twice as many passing yards. either way, we can't possibly underachieve from last year.

i think we will be one of the most improved teams in the league.

i for one am very excited and believe in a.j.  at least we will get twice as much production from the passing game...which has not been able to establish timing routes and rhythm since orton.

if we can get to the end of october 500 or better, we have a good chance to go on quite a winning streak the 2nd half especially since most are at home.

let's say we lose...balt. , la , gb , minny and ne twice...the rest of the games should be w's. if we steal 2 of those 6, we will command a wildcard.  i am expecting no less than 10-6.

That's optimistic, but not out of the question.    The tough part of that equation is if McCarron is playing well enough but we're not winning do you make the switch to the rookie at the end of october?  if you do, essentially you are giving up on the season and using it as a developmental one for Allen.   I don't know if they are committed to winning in 2018 or committed to Allen's development in 2018 because I don't believe you can do both. 

Philly was committed to Wentz's development his rookie year and went 7-9

On 5/5/2018 at 4:22 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

I have high hopes but its all for nothing if we're not hoisting a 5th superbowl trophy with in the next decade. No pressure McBeane just don't fail us or else !

On 5/6/2018 at 2:22 AM, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

These are the the better combos in my opinion I'm going by divisions. 

AFC

#1 Pats Belicheck & Belicheat

#2 Steelers Tomlin & Colbert 

#3  Ravens Harbaugh & Newsome

#4: Jags Marrone & Caldwell

#5 Texans O' Brian & Gaine

#5 Raiders Gruden & Mckenzie 

#6 Chargers Lynn & Telesco

#7 Cheifs Reid & Veach

NFC 

#8 Eagles Pederson & Roseman

#9 Vikings Zimmerman & Speilman

#10 Packers McCarthy & Guntekst

#11 Saints Payton & Loomis 

#12 Falcons Quinn & Dimitrov

#13 Panthers Rivera & Hurney

#14 Seahawks Carroll & Schneider

#15 Rams McVay & Snead

#16 49ers Shanahan & Lynch 

That makes McBeane middle of the pack at best with other coach/gm combos that are arguably better like the Colts Reich & Ballard and Giants with Sherman & Gettleman. 

8 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

These are the the better combos in my opinion I'm going by divisions. 

AFC

#1 Pats Belicheck & Belicheat

#2 Steelers Tomlin & Colbert 

#3  Ravens Harbaugh & Newsome

#4: Jags Marrone & Caldwell

#5 Texans O' Brian & Gaine

#5 Raiders Gruden & Mckenzie 

#6 Chargers Lynn & Telesco

#7 Cheifs Reid & Veach

NFC 

#8 Eagles Pederson & Roseman

#9 Vikings Zimmerman & Speilman

#10 Packers McCarthy & Guntekst

#11 Saints Payton & Loomis 

#12 Falcons Quinn & Dimitrov

#13 Panthers Rivera & Hurney

#14 Seahawks Carroll & Schneider

#15 Rams McVay & Snead

#16 49ers Shanahan & Lynch 

That makes McBeane middle of the pack at best with other coach/gm combos that are arguably better like the Colts Reich & Ballard and Giants with Sherman & Gettleman. 

Thanks for the thorough reply, but I probably disagree with half of these.  So I will give them top 10!  With a bullet.

I agree with the enthusiasm and I am a big fan of what they have done in the short time they have been here but it is a little premature to give them top billing at the moment.  This draft could define their careers especially when pulling it off in the same year they ended the playoff drought.  

On 5/5/2018 at 7:26 PM, Ralonzo said:

dennisgreen.jpg

The greatest post game press conference of all time, IMO.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:31 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did we win the offseason again?

The Bills are an off season dynasty.

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Thanks for the thorough reply, but I probably disagree with half of these.  So I will give them top 10!  With a bullet.

Its arguable when it comes to the Texans, Chargers , Panthers & 49ers but i got the top 3 better because they have better teams and are more accomplished.  The 49ers are better because they already found there franchise QB and have a young core of talent that's better then ours. I got 11 combos that are no doubt better then McBeane. 

Pats

Eagles 

Vikings

Seahawks 

Steelers 

Falcons 

Rams

Saints

Cheifs

Jags

Ravens

I would take any 1 of these combos any day over McBeane. 

Simply breaking the drought ultimately won't mean anything.

The fates of McBeane are completely tied to Josh Allen. If he's a bust, they will and should be out of here as another failed regime.

If he's the real deal...I'm on board with anointing them whatever you want to. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

On 5/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, Zerovotlz said:

(yeah, I am trolling a little here)  ....the set up for the 2017 Draft meant that the coach and GM weren't working together.  Plenty of speculation about it all...maybe so, and maybe not...but it might have prevented the Bills from taking Watson or Mahomes....wich led of course to Allen this year.  ....and we simply can not say yet if this was a disaster or not...but we can certainly point to this as a point in time when the coach and outgoing GM were not likely on the same page.

You're not trolling, you're making a fair point. How could anyone say anything otherwise? Trolling would be what I'm about to do which I honestly just thought of for the first time.

What guy preaches trust and this and that bull **** while working under a boss he was trying to get or knew was getting fired. I love the character of our coach, a real straight shooter.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, White Linen said:

They've built a decent team while simultaneously getting rid of non hard working players and giving the future an opportunity.   They secured next years draft picks and the most underrated part is they've done all of this while creating a massive amount of money to spend next year.   We're not a complete team but they've put themselves in a position in every aspect of FO management to do so.  

So much of this post is just subjective. Who's the "non hard working" player? When Watkins was drafted and afterward all we heard about was his work ethic. Selfish? Possibly, work ethic was never a question.

Tyrod? Never heard he was lazy.

Darby? All he did was start on a Superbowl winning defense. 

Dareus? That's the only one you could make a case for being lazy and I wouldn't even agree with that completely. Stupid, yes, lazy, I can't say for sure.

They didn't just get rid of "non hard working" players and replace them with money. They got rid of talent, that's why they have money for next off season. They haven't committed to anyone. It'll be interesting to see how this next season goes.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:59 PM, TheTruthHurts said:

From an analytical standpoint it's one of the worst Bills teams during the last 20 years. I guess I can't say drought anymore. 

It's funny how that works. We've had better teams many times but missed the playoffs. 

This is absolutely right, and makes this so frustrating to me.

That team was !@#$ing trash last year, but now people are saying they were good and moving in the right direction. I do think they deserve credit for over achieving, but just because you did that one year doesn't make me believe in them. 

On 06/05/2018 at 10:59 PM, TheTruthHurts said:

From an analytical standpoint it's one of the worst Bills teams during the last 20 years. I guess I can't say drought anymore. 

It's funny how that works. We've had better teams many times but missed the playoffs. 

Yep, based on all the analytical breakdowns there are at least 4 or 5 of the drought teams that were better than the 2017 team. Equally just talent wise it was evidently not a great roster. McDermott coached every last drop out of it and we got game winning contributions from the likes of Brandon Tate, Deonte Thompson and others. That is not a recipe for long term success but what is encouraging is that McDermott and Beane seem to instinctively get that. Hence they let Tyrod who will give you a chance to win 8 or 9 games most years and took their shot at a Quarterback who might push you into double figure win territory. 

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Simply breaking the drought ultimately won't mean anything.

The fates of McBeane are completely tied to Josh Allen. If he's a bust, they will and should be out of here as another failed regime.

If he's the real deal...I'm on board with anointing them whatever you want to. 

What if they were directed to take Allen by Pegula?

And granted immunity even if he fails?

I'm not saying this was the case, or even that it is probable. 

But it is definitely possible.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, swnybillsfan said:

let's hope they are who you thought they were! and we can go ahead and crown their @$$es!

Winners win!

More talent with Rex at the helm and he couldn’t break .500

36 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Winners win!

More talent with Rex at the helm and he couldn’t break .500

i think rex was his own worst enemy. i loved the fact that he could make fun of himself and have a good time. but his football beliefs were all rooted in what the game used to be, and they were a bit too absolute. you have to be able to change and adapt, or the game will pass you by. and the macho man act wore a bit thin as well. funny how that happens when you are not winning.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, based on all the analytical breakdowns there are at least 4 or 5 of the drought teams that were better than the 2017 team. Equally just talent wise it was evidently not a great roster. McDermott coached every last drop out of it and we got game winning contributions from the likes of Brandon Tate, Deonte Thompson and others. That is not a recipe for long term success but what is encouraging is that McDermott and Beane seem to instinctively get that. Hence they let Tyrod who will give you a chance to win 8 or 9 games most years and took their shot at a Quarterback who might push you into double figure win territory. 

I like McDermott. I like what Beane is trying to accomplish. I can see a team being built for long-term success. I just hope fans and media give them time. Let's not rush Allen.