Edmunds & Milano = Our Kuechly & Davis

H2o

Beane is giving McD some nice tools and the defense to me looks good enough to be top 10, however the offense will have these guys on the field a ton, so it will be a rough year. I would suspect that Edmunds will be listed as a top 5 tackler in the league next year. No one is running up the middle without getting punished and outside runs will be the best when he is coming in at 250 with all of that speed. I am looking forward to the Gronkowski match ups. 

Milano is super-instinctive.  His 40 time at combine (like 4.67) was a product of injury, he is one of the faster backers in the whole league and a converted safety.  He is one of my favorites, but we can't expect too much from the kid yet.  I know he works at the sport like an animal.  A year in the strength and conditioning program will really help him avoid the wash.  He is already, however, elite in coverage and a playmaker.  Potential is there.  

I don't watch much college so I am concerned about the posts immediately above saying Edmunds is not so great in coverage.  I had heard he is quite good.  I have also heard he is a fanatical worker like Milano (seems we have a lot of those).  If he can match Milano's coverage skills we will have a pair of elite coverage linebackers when we are in the two linebacker sub package.  And if Star, Harry, and Kyle can keep Edmunds and Milano clean they can both really fly to the ball like few other NFL pairs (with Edmunds having some tremendous power).  Having said that, calling them Kuechly and Davis may be a bit much to ask at this stage.  In two years though, who knows!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Speedy linebackers with open tackling lanes...that's McDermott's dream.

This is why building the front was so important this year.

9 minutes ago, jr1 said:

pleased with Milano and excited about Edmunds

This

14 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Milano is super-instinctive.  His 40 time at combine (like 4.67) was a product of injury, he is one of the faster backers in the whole league and a converted safety.  He is one of my favorites, but we can't expect too much from the kid yet.  I know he works at the sport like an animal.  A year in the strength and conditioning program will really help him avoid the wash.  He is already, however, elite in coverage and a playmaker.  Potential is there.  

I don't watch much college so I am concerned about the posts immediately above saying Edmunds is not so great in coverage.  I had heard he is quite good.  I have also heard he is a fanatical worker like Milano (seems we have a lot of those).  If he can match Milano's coverage skills we will have a pair of elite coverage linebackers when we are in the two linebacker sub package.  And if Star, Harry, and Kyle can keep Edmunds and Milano clean they can both really fly to the ball like few other NFL pairs (with Edmunds having some tremendous power).  Having said that, calling them Kuechly and Davis may be a bit much to ask at this stage.  In two years though, who knows!

Harry ?

lol

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is why building the front was so important this year.

And why they didn't get to reload the offense.  Don't know why people are complaining about the offense.  We reshaped a lot of the roster and have a ton of cap and nine draft picks next season, we aren't gonna magically become a contender in one season.  It takes time.

52 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Interesting that Milano is a converted safety because not only do he and Thomas Davis both play WLB (and not SLB for Davis, like dabills21 said), Davis was a FS entering the 2005 draft.  So it seems they're trying the same blueprint of sorts with the Bills.

48 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

And why they didn't get to reload the offense.  Don't know why people are complaining about the offense.  We reshaped a lot of the roster and have a ton of cap and nine draft picks next season, we aren't gonna magically become a contender in one season.  It takes time.

This. The defense has the makings of a viable top 10 unit this year imo. We have space eaters and a couple of penetrating DT's up front, we have a solid rotation of guys who can pressure the QB (though none are by any means elite), we have a young athletic LB group, and the Secondary should be even better than last year. If Allen can make big plays when necessary, even though I expect some growing pains, and we ride the run game with Shady\Ivory then this can very well be playoff team again despite what looks like a hellacious schedule next year. 

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Interesting that Milano is a converted safety because not only do he and Thomas Davis both play WLB (and not SLB for Davis, like dabills21 said), Davis was a FS entering the 2005 draft.  So it seems they're trying the same blueprint of sorts with the Bills.

I was even confused as to what spot Davis truly played until I checked online. So Milano was already at that position. For some reason I thought it was Alexander. :oops:

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Milano is a pleasant surprise for a 5th round pick but for the love of god the comparison isn’t even close to LK.  

I didn't say that Edmunds was Kuechly, I said he will play the Kuechly role in this defense and he will be good at it. If Kuechly keeps it up and isn't derailed by concussions then he is likely a HOF'er. I don't think anyone has said Edmunds is that yet. I do however believe that McDermott feels he has his Buffalo versions of Kuechly and Davis now. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

Interesting back at you - had no idea Davis was a converted safety too.  Milano credits the switch to the coach at BC (forgot his name), says it made him eligible for an NFL career.  Went from a big-ish but not too fast safety to a super-fast linebacker.  A year of mass could make him even better.  He is a workaholic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

I didn't say that Edmunds was Kuechly, I said he will play the Kuechly role in this defense and he will be good at it. If Kuechly keeps it up and isn't derailed by concussions then he is likely a HOF'er. I don't think anyone has said Edmunds is that yet. I do however believe that McDermott feels he has his Buffalo versions of Kuechly and Davis now. 

This is very fair, IMHO

38 minutes ago, H2o said:

I was even confused as to what spot Davis truly played until I checked online. So Milano was already at that position. For some reason I thought it was Alexander. :oops:

I knew Milano played WLB given his size.  I figured Davis did as well because he's not huge (235#) either, so I looked it up and I was right.  Then I looked up their Combine stats on nfldraftscouts.com and saw that Davis was listed as a FS.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I knew Milano played WLB given his size.  I figured Davis did as well because he's not huge (235#) either, so I looked it up and I was right.  Then I looked up their Combine stats on nfldraftscouts.com and saw that Davis was listed as a FS.

An interesting thing about Milano - all last year I was wondering why they thought he would be such a top coverage backer if his combine was 4.67.  My eyes were telling me he was a top coverage linebacker.  I did a little research and discovered he was hurt at combine and that he was consistently running 4.5 pre-combine.  Aha!  (said I), now it makes sense!  Don't know if he can ever carry 235, but Davis's weight may be a bit inflated by Carolina?  I think Milano can carry more weight without losing speed, but I don't know about 235.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

An interesting thing about Milano - all last year I was wondering why they thought he would be such a top coverage backer if his combine was 4.67.  My eyes were telling me he was a top coverage linebacker.  I did a little research and discovered he was hurt at combine and that he was consistently running 4.5 pre-combine.  Aha!  (said I), now it makes sense!  Don't know if he can ever carry 235, but Davis's weight may be a bit inflated by Carolina?  I think Milano can carry more weight without losing speed, but I don't know about 235.

Yeah, didn't know about Milano's Combine 40 being affected by injury.  Thanks for that.  But did you know that Thomas Davis' 40 time at the Combine was 4.66?  I don't know if he was injured or not but he might have been since he ran a 4.52 at his Pro Day.  And his weight was 230#, so I can see him being 235# now. 

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, didn't know about Milano's Combine 40 being affected by injury.  Thanks for that.  But did you know that Thomas Davis' 40 time at the Combine was 4.66?  I don't know if he was injured or not.  And his weight was 230#. 

Great stuff.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

My apologies.  Carolina officially lists Davis as their will and Shaq Thompson at their Sam.  For the record, Davis has played both Sam and will during his career.

My original point is not to get caught up in the Sam vs will position listing, but rather that Davis is a much more explosive and physical player than Milano. 

Milanos strength and physicality was his big weakness last season.  He overcomes some of that with instincts and his short area burst.  But once linemen engage with him, he was usually overmatched.  Not to say he can't improve on that,  hopefully, with an NFL off-season program, he can further hone in and develop in those areas.

I wouldn't be shocked, if he and Humber rotate again this season.  Milano is certainly the sub package, nickle backer, but I don't think he has graduated to 3 down territory yet.  we will see