What Was “The Worst Kept Secret” About Russ Brandon?

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Right...it couldnt have been that the women saw a wealthy,  powerful, influential man and wanted to be able to brag to their girlfriends right? Or try to get money from him? Or have him provide a lifestyle?

Because women NEVER do that kind of stuff...I swear some of the posters on this board are completely clueless about how women actually are and what they arr attracted too. Trust me, they arent the princesses you beta White Knights want to ride in and save many times only to be friend zoned and then crying to her about how you feel about her while she bangs the dude who doesn't give a crap about her. Take the red pill...not the blue pill. Its not too late to open your eyes and get out of the Disney Fairy Tale guys are force fed since the time they are little.

Matter, let's look at this from the point of view of the fellow employees.  Let's say you, a fine hardworking employee, are one of 5 people at the same level, some men some women.

You notice that one of your peers seems to be getting better reviews, better job assignments, maybe a raise or short-track for a promotion.

You also notice that same person is migh-tee cosy with the boss.  Then you find out they're visiting the No Tell Motel.

How do you feel?  Do you feel you're being managed with integrity?  Even if you don't observe any differences in how you're treated, doesn't the thought cross your mind?

It really doesn't matter whether the woman was eager and willing or pushed into it.  It's inappropriate in a business environment where someone has supervisory authority, and when you're President/CEO, that means everyone.

It's incredibly naive to cast it as an issue of "princesses" and "White Knights" and Matrix analogies, and ironic to add in the "open your eyes" bit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TAinLA said:

...and another worst kept secret - he wasn't much of a football or hockey fan!

I heard Bills are readying a new press release update on Russ Brandon situation.

That "Russ will no longer be involved with Bills football matters. We mean it this time".

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Matter, let's look at this from the point of view of the fellow employees.  Let's say you, a fine hardworking employee, are one of 5 people at the same level, some men some women.

You notice that one of your peers seems to be getting better reviews, better job assignments, maybe a raise or short-track for a promotion.

You also notice that same person is migh-tee cosy with the boss.  Then you find out they're visiting the No Tell Motel.

How do you feel?  Do you feel you're being managed with integrity?  Even if you don't observe any differences in how you're treated, doesn't the thought cross your mind?

It really doesn't matter whether the woman was eager and willing or pushed into it.  It's inappropriate in a business environment where someone has supervisory authority, and when you're President/CEO, that means everyone.

It's incredibly naive to cast it as an issue of "princesses" and "White Knights" and Matrix analogies, and ironic to add in the "open your eyes" bit.

All makes sense and is why they put in these hard to enforce rules.

I worked at a theatre chain who had an open clear and concise policy that managers could not date or have any relationships with co-workers. Violation was grounds for termination.

Every now and again a male manager would marry a co-worker. All you heard was crickets from upper management.

Russ B effectively slept his way to the bottom so to speak.

14 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

So to me the usual version of a story like this goes something like: Brandon was a dog and played around a lot and everybody  knew it but it is considered personal. Then for some reason it either got back to the Pegulas who didn't know. Or maybe they did know but recently it became time to use it against him for some other reason we will never know. 

Then the "other issues" would usually be something to do with using his expense account to pay for dinners and such with his dates so his wife wouldn't find out. You know, the stuff wouldn't show up on the family credit cards and such. 

That kind of story is as old as the hills really.

But what I wonder about is why in some quarters they keep suggesting it is much, much, darker than that.

Even in that same article Tim G says employees are relieved it is over. Why would they care so much? I dunno. Maybe we never will. So my question there was more about how are they managing to keep a lid on it, if there is really more to the story.

Yep.   Good question.

24 minutes ago, cba fan said:

All makes sense and is why they put in these hard to enforce rules.

I worked at a theatre chain who had an open clear and concise policy that managers could not date or have any relationships with co-workers. Violation was grounds for termination.  Every now and again a male manager would marry a co-worker. All you heard was crickets from upper management.

If an employee is valued, and there are no complaints from subordinates or associated misbehaviors (such as the mis-use of expense accounts Badlands suggests), you're right, it's common that these things pass without notice. 

Practically speaking what Badlands suggests is what often happens - there may be some other wrongdoing that is strongly suggested but not quite enough evidence to stand up in court if the employee fought a dismissal, or maybe which would negatively impact or embarrass the company if it came out. 

So they leave it buried, and bring out the "affair with subordinate" policy as a public reason for dismissal instead, and maybe there's some "resign and get a severance package, make us fire you for cause and we strip you bare" choice.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I say that because Chuck Pollock who is a good sports writer in Olean, and a friend of Terry Pegula's, compared Brandon to Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstien, Roger Ailes, Kevin Spacey and more. People who who are criminals and who used coercion, force, or drugs to subdue people. 

Maybe he is just an irresponsible jackass to write that but he never seemed to be one before. Those people were very bad and not just guys who couldn't keep it in their pants.

So that is the most solid source that I got the idea from, that it is pretty bad what happened.

Pollock compared him to Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey and Garrison Keillor in terms of behavior. "It was the same type of behavior that sabotaged Matt Lauer ..."

He only mentioned the others in this way ... "Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, et al, and now ... Russ Brandon? The list of powerful men brought down by inappropriate behavior with women grew by one ..."

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/pollock-brandon-s-exit-wisely-staged-by-kim-pegula/article_cb7fd29e-4e5b-11e8-ad2c-3b2526f9cbbb.html

He was only comparing Russ to Cosby and the criminals by saying they were brought down by inappropriate behavior. Not in terms of what that behavior consisted of.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think we will learn a LOT more about all this, but it is taking time coming to the surface for whatever reason.

My guess is that Brandon had a habit of poking women within the organization and did it multiple times over many years.  On top of that, it was likely with at least some women who were subordinate to him and directly under his managerial control.

That's bad enough, but then it may have even finally gone to the next level with Brandon using his power within the company to manipulate the relationship.

It then sounds like Kim Pegula caught wind of all this and did some sniffing around.  She found out what was really happening to her liking.  

She confronted Brandon directly, asking him if what she felt she knew about the situation was true.  

Brandon lied saying "no."

And he was fired.  Well, given the choice of resigning first before they would fire him.  

I.E., he was fired.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep.   Good question.

If an employee is valued, and there are no complaints from subordinates or associated misbehaviors (such as the mis-use of expense accounts Badlands suggests), you're right, it's common that these things pass without notice. 

Practically speaking what Badlands suggests is what often happens - there may be some other wrongdoing that is strongly suggested but not quite enough evidence to stand up in court if the employee fought a dismissal, or maybe which would negatively impact or embarrass the company if it came out. 

So they leave it buried, and bring out the "affair with subordinate" policy as a public reason for dismissal instead, and maybe there's some "resign and get a severance package, make us fire you for cause and we strip you bare" choice.

That could be the explanation, or it could be as someone above suggested, that it got too public. No longer able to be passed without notice because it was just too noticeable. Or loud enough that the boss finally heard about it.

It just sounds congruous to me that the Pegulas find out about it and ask some questions. Russ chooses to lie and is found to be lying. I think Kim Pegula at that point might be ready to see the back of him. I have no evidence for that, though, it's just a guess.

From TBN, from yesterday:

Russ Brandon resigned this week from his position as the president and managing partner of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, which oversees the Bills and Sabres, Tim Graham reported Tuesday. Brandon's resignation follows an internal investigation into allegations of inappropriate relationships with female employees.

Brandon, who began his career with the Bills as executive director of marketing and business development in 1997, is credited for helping the team hit its highest mark for season-ticket sales in 2015. For many fans, though, he's the face of The Drought, writes Vic Carucci. Brandon was also one of the key figures in bringing the World Junior Hockey Championship to Buffalo, writes John Vogl. 

Many readers had questions about what led to Brandon's departure, so we reached out to Graham.

From Ryan Bradley: Does the investigation that Kim initiated have a connection with the #MeToo movement, or is this just a standard of holding all positions in a high standard of accountability? As a lifelong Buffalo sports fan, I feel great having progressive-thinking owners that believe in treating all employees with respect and equality.

From Patrick McDevitt: Is the #MeToo movement coming to professional sports? Details here are sketchy, but the question is: Would this have been a fireable offense five or 10 years ago?

RUSS BRANDON RESIGNS

PEGULAS USED PERSONAL ATTORNEYS TO INVESTIGATE BRANDON

Bucky Gleason: Brandon lost his way before losing job with Bills, Sabres

Kim Pegula faces heavy lift with Bills, Sabres

Analysis: Brandon's tenure with Bills a tale of conflicting results

Brandon's legacy with Sabres includes drop in fans, increased ads

Russ Brandon resigns from Bills, Sabres after internal investigation

Graham: The Pegulas have been embarrassed by this episode, but my information indicates they acted swiftly and decisively after investigating. The #MeToo movement mattered; it's forcing us to think and act differently when it comes to how people in power treat those whose lives and careers are under their control.

The #MeToo movement reached sports months ago, and rightfully so. Carolina Panthers founder Jerry Richardson is being forced to sell his team because Sports Illustrated in December reported allegations of workplace misconduct and sexual harassment by Richardson and of monetary settlements. Another Sports Illustrated story spotlighted troubling issues within the Dallas Mavericks front office.

Would this have been a fireable offense 10 years ago? Good question. My guess is probably not, because far too often in sports — and in life — issues get swept aside, people in power look the other way, and nobody wants to cause trouble if it's easier to pretend something unpleasant isn't occurring. Or if it's merely "better business" to quietly pay somebody off along with a nondisclosure agreement.

Ten years ago I'd probably have predicted Brandon would find another gig in big-league sports pretty quickly. I doubt that will happen now.

From Adam Aramino: Is there any legal action pending within the organization on any side?

Graham: None that I'm aware, although civil lawsuits wouldn't surprise me by anybody who has felt wronged either in this situation or from past incidents that haven't been brought to light yet.

From Evan Zinger: Any clue on whether sexual misconduct referred to workplace harassment or a consensual relationship deemed inappropriate?

Graham: I specifically didn't use the phrase "sexual misconduct" because that's a legally defined term in New York State. It's a Class-A misdemeanor, with lack of consent an express condition. The standard of "sexual misconduct" within the workplace is spelled out by company human-resources policies — if at all — and varies from employer to employer. For instance, some companies permit bosses and subordinates to have personal relationships, to date, to get married. I used the phrases "personal misconduct" and "inappropriate relationships" carefully.

I also mentioned "other job-related issues that were uncovered" in reference to discoveries the Pegulas made about Brandon's general job performance.

From u/Burnin_that_2_Smoke on Reddit: How long were the allegations known against Russ before this was all released to the public?

Graham: The inappropriate relationship that became the first domino in Brandon's downfall was one of the worst-kept secrets among the Bills and Sabres rank-and-file employees and prominent people within the local business community. I began hearing about it in early November. The relationship was considered consensual. So, to me, it was nothing more than gossip.

How long did the Pegulas know? I can't say for certain, but my information suggests maybe for a few weeks. That could be directly attributed to the fact the Pegulas live in Florida for tax/residency requirements and aren't in their Western New York offices every day. Employees have noted to me that they hope Kim Pegula's becoming president of the teams will mean she's around more.

From u/KeepOnKeepingOn on Reddit: How much input did Russ truly have on football-related decisions, over his entire time here?

Graham: Different levels of influence at different times. He was the Bills' general manager in 2008 and 2009, although we never really knew who was in charge of making the draft picks then. Tom Modrak handled college scouting, but coach Dick Jauron also had significant say. When Ralph Wilson became an absentee owner and then in the months after the founder's death, Brandon had the final word on any football decision he chose. The arrivals of General Manager Doug Whaley and coach Doug Marrone point directly to Brandon. After the Pegulas purchased the Bills, Brandon assisted in the Rex Ryan hiring process. But over the past couple years, Brandon lost any role in football operations, especially once coach Sean McDermott came aboard.

From @TylerSHPod on Twitter: Is this Russ Brandon resignation as big of a deal as I think it is? Behind the scenes, he’s been the most influential person in the franchise since 2000 (even over Ralph). This feels like a very big deal.

Graham: Brandon has been highly influential for 20 years. For better or worse, Brandon's fingerprints will be on the Bills franchise forever.  How much he's missed will depend on how closely you pay attention to sports business transactions. I doubt his absence will make any appreciable difference when it comes to wins and losses for the Bills or Sabres. The Pegulas have enough money to afford free agents, arena upgrades and a new football stadium regardless of how good they are at political schmoozing, how many season tickets they sell or how many local revenue streams their executives cultivate.

Brandon's departure should encourage PSE, Bills and Sabres employees that such behavior won't stand. As one source with knowledge of the investigation told me as the news broke, employees will be "ecstatic" something finally was done about an issue considered common knowledge within the offices.

From u/Badlandsmeanie from Reddit: My question would be, how are the Bills still able to keep the fuller details of the story quiet? There has to be more to this story, but for some reason the media won't report it. How come?

Graham: Brandon has been too brazen about his relationships for complete secrecy to be realistic. We in the media, however, must be judicious in vetting every detail. And not every tawdry detail is newsworthy, despite the number of clicks it could generate.

From u/Duke_of_Earl on Reddit: My only question: Why wasn't this done sooner?

Graham: I'm unsure if the spirit of your question is about the recent allegations or Brandon's track record as an executive for teams that failed to win for a long, long time. Since I think we addressed the former throughout this Q&A, I'll treat this as the latter.

Brandon was super good at his business roles in the Bills' front office from the time he joined the club until Wilson named him GM in 2008. Wilson, still burned by his bad experience with Tom Donahoe, would rather give increased football power to a trusted-yet-inexperienced ally than to an outsider with expertise.

The Pegulas stuck with Brandon mostly because they had little choice after Marrone walked away from the club with a $4 million buyout and Bill Polian rebuffed a chance to return. The Pegulas, new as NFL owners, had nobody to lean on except Brandon and Whaley. During the search for a new coach, they sequestered themselves in Florida, and their bunker mentality forged a bond. They were in the battle together and emerged with Ryan, a flawed but high-profile hire that got folks excited. Brandon gained the Pegulas' trust. As they experienced the NFL's highly polished business approach compared to the NHL's, well, whatever the NHL does, Brandon  maneuvered his way through the transition, steering the Pegulas away from a Wilson-era front office to a consolidated Bills-Sabres endeavor.

Brandon's also being named Sabres president, however, was less than three years ago. The Pegulas — as they evolved as NFL owners — eventually saw enough.

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Pollock compared him to Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey and Garrison Keillor in terms of behavior. "It was the same type of behavior that sabotaged Matt Lauer ..."

He only mentioned the others in this way ... "Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, et al, and now ... Russ Brandon? The list of powerful men brought down by inappropriate behavior with women grew by one ..."

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/pollock-brandon-s-exit-wisely-staged-by-kim-pegula/article_cb7fd29e-4e5b-11e8-ad2c-3b2526f9cbbb.html

He was only comparing Russ to Cosby and the criminals by saying they were brought down by inappropriate behavior. Not in terms of what that behavior consisted of.

Ok. I didn't see the distinction when I read it.

But still, Rose and Spacey  allegedly coerced and pressured people. 

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Right...it couldnt have been that the women saw a wealthy,  powerful, influential man and wanted to be able to brag to their girlfriends right? Or try to get money from him? Or have him provide a lifestyle?

Because women NEVER do that kind of stuff...I swear some of the posters on this board are completely clueless about how women actually are and what they arr attracted too. Trust me, they arent the princesses you beta White Knights want to ride in and save many times only to be friend zoned and then crying to her about how you feel about her while she bangs the dude who doesn't give a crap about her. Take the red pill...not the blue pill. Its not too late to open your eyes and get out of the Disney Fairy Tale guys are force fed since the time they are little.

Those are just the women swimming in the shallow end with you.

Sad testimony...

6 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So just to be clear the rumor that you are throwing out there is that he was “dating” several women who were subordinates?  If that’s the case, then I feel many will be relieved it wasn’t something worse as some have speculated.

This would seem to jive with what Graham was saying.  The misconduct was more of an ethical issue, as opposed to a legal one.

The lines between the ethical and the legal likely converge here.   Most companies preclude managers from having relationships with subordinates in their code of conduct.  When they sign their employment contract, it typically includes language saying they will abide by the CoC and failure to do so will constitute grounds for immediate termination.

Haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if it’s repetitive but Russ has always loved the ladies. It was inevitable that something like this would lead to his downfall. This wasn’t the first time either. The whole “worst kept secret” thing is just that. He has always been somewhat inappropriate when it comes to women. That isn’t news to anyone around there. 

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

Those are just the women swimming in the shallow end with you.

Sad testimony...

No those are the women that I dont give the time of day to because I have options.

1 hour ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

It's well known in media circles in the Buffalo area

Janet

Snyder

She used to be a hottie back in the day

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh I'm not saying it is at all...I'm just saying dont assume that Brandon "preyed" on them...they might very well have been "preying" on him to get what they wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah.  The Janet Snyder thing wasn't exactly a well kept secret.  The relationship with the Bills Reporter was something a friend of mine said was well known amongst his circle.  Apparently according to Graham and others it was well known to more than that.  He got sloppy, plan and simple. 

It might be just me, but I sensed a change in Russ over the last few years.  He used to be a clean cut, sharp looking exec.  Now he looks like a guy who just came from the bar down the street. It doesn't surprise me in the BN piece that he began spending more time on the social scene and less in the office.  The "other work performance issues" doesn't bode well either. This was a guy who used to overwork, not underperform.

When your someone who is well revered in many circles, has done so many great marketing feats for the Bills in the past and are well respected by ownership, one may allow that to go to their head.  I just feel really bad for his family, especially his kids.  If things were rocky with his wife before, they are certainly rocky now. 

But You sleep in the bed you make.  

48 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Yeah.  The Janet Snyder thing wasn't exactly a well kept secret.  The relationship with the Bills Reporter was something a friend of mine said was well known amongst his circle.  Apparently according to Graham and others it was well known to more than that.  He got sloppy, plan and simple. 

It might be just me, but I sensed a change in Russ over the last few years.  He used to be a clean cut, sharp looking exec.  Now he looks like a guy who just came from the bar down the street. It doesn't surprise me in the BN piece that he began spending more time on the social scene and less in the office.  The "other work performance issues" doesn't bode well either. This was a guy who used to overwork, not underperform.

When your someone who is well revered in many circles, has done so many great marketing feats for the Bills in the past and are well respected by ownership, one may allow that to go to their head.  I just feel really bad for his family, especially his kids.  If things were rocky with his wife before, they are certainly rocky now. 

But You sleep in the bed you make.  

Wait Janet Snyder?  From KISS?  I had no idea.  I did remember hearing about Lauren Hall.  On this MB I believe