Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

The point is that drafting Rudolph with a 3rd round pick and the Steelers in postion to contend for a title makes no sense to him. I get that. 

I dont see how a third round pick conclusively moves Steelers from contender status (even if I choose to disagree that they are contenders just yet). Him specifically talking about a guy who was picked to be his successor points to his comments beyond just a hope for team improvement. Does he agree with each and every pick the Steelers have made in the past ? As they say, the optics (and I hate that word) on this are just not good. And a QB's public face is largely that - image management. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I dont see how a third round pick conclusively moves Steelers from contender status (even if I choose to disagree that they are contenders just yet). Him specifically talking about a guy who was picked to be his successor points to his comments beyond just a hope for team improvement. Does he agree with each and every pick the Steelers have made in the past ? As they say, the optics (and I hate that word) on this are just not good. And a QB's public face is largely that - image management. 

We simply see it differently and that's okay. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:07 AM, Mr. WEO said:

What 3rd rounder is going to help this team get to the SB?  They are loaded on offense, and have been.  What D rookie in the 3rd would be surrounding the QB with talent?

I mention Wilson as an ironic counterpoint  to your claim that picking the backup QB in the 3rd wouldn't help the team go to the SB... because that's pretty much the only time any 3rd rounder did that...

Wasn't Nick Foles drafted in the 3rd round?  And as a backup QB, helped his team go to the Superbowl and win it?  Doubles the odds!

My bottom line:

Big Ben was salty because the Steelers drafted a QB who had some good pre-draft buzz.  By all accounts, Rudolph is a hard worker with a good head for football, attends the Mannings' QB camps, talked through a play easily at Marriaci's QB Whiteboard feature.  The Steelers are doing what they ought to be doing, trying to get better at every position, including backup QB, the guy who might keep you in the hunt if your starter goes down.   There's nothing to say a 3rd round DL or LB or OG would contribute more. 

Shut up, Ben.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Once a player is on a team, where he was drafted no longer matters.  For example, Kyle Williams was in the same 2006 draft as John McCargo just as Stevie Johnson was in the same draft as James Hardy. 

I disagree sort of but thank you for clearing up your point.

If Stevie or Kyle came in and performed like hardy and mccargo respectively they would have been cut and not thought of again.  It was because mccargo was a 1st and hardy a 2nd that they got as many chances as they did.  Stevie and Kyle got their chance because they showed something quickly.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't Nick Foles drafted in the 3rd round?  And as a backup QB, helped his team go to the Superbowl and win it?  Doubles the odds!

My bottom line:

Big Ben was salty because the Steelers drafted a QB who had some good pre-draft buzz.  By all accounts, Rudolph is a hard worker with a good head for football, attends the Mannings' QB camps, talked through a play easily at Marriaci's QB Whiteboard feature.  The Steelers are doing what they ought to be doing, trying to get better at every position, including backup QB, the guy who might keep you in the hunt if your starter goes down.   There's nothing to say a 3rd round DL or LB or OG would contribute more. 

Shut up, Ben.

Exactly.

Ben has a scary injury history that would give and training staff a run for it's money.

He has twiddled the thought of retirement like every off-season for the last 3 years.

He can talk all he wants about playing 3-5 more years, guaranteed, but the reality is that Brady isn't the rule, he's an exception, same with Brees.

Both have been very healthy their entire careers, save for the mega shoulder that Brees had at a young age (which, even by his surgeon's own words, was a miracle he could even throw again), and Brady had the ACL/triad young as well.

Ben's got the arthritic body of a 50 year old at this point.

He has been beaten to a pulp.

He knows it, the Steelers know it.

Even if he does play another 3 years, the likelihood that he doesn't miss a couple of games every year is slim to none.

He's being his typical diva self.

I can't stand him, and haven't for a long time.

Shut up Ben.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did you google that they just drafted Josh Dobbs last year as Benoit mentioned? 

Josh Dobbs sucks. 

Essentially if you think Mason Rudolph is little more than a new Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs you probably think this pick makes no sense. I get that. 

I absolutely believe Rudolph is better than that and has the potential to be a good starting Quarterback in time - therefore this makes a lot of sense. I loved the fit there before the draft and I still do. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My bottom line:

Big Ben was salty because the Steelers drafted a QB who had some good pre-draft buzz.  By all accounts, Rudolph is a hard worker with a good head for football, attends the Mannings' QB camps, talked through a play easily at Marriaci's QB Whiteboard feature.  The Steelers are doing what they ought to be doing

, trying to get better at every position, including backup QB, the guy who might keep you in the hunt if your starter goes down.   There's nothing to say a 3rd round DL or LB or OG would contribute more. 

Shut up, Ben.

There's no other player in the 3rd round they could have picked that would have gotten them closer to the SB.

This is another blow to the tired old argument that "rookie QBs should be drafted to be groomed under the current franchise QB".    Favre had no interest in Rodgers, Brady no interest in Garapolo and Ben for Lamar.

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's no other player in the 3rd round they could have picked that would have gotten them closer to the SB.

This is another blow to the tired old argument that "rookie QBs should be drafted to be groomed under the current franchise QB".    Favre had no interest in Rodgers, Brady no interest in Garapolo and Ben for Lamar.

Ben for Mason I believe you mean, Flacco for Lamar.

I get your drift though.

The incumbent guy at ANY job never wants to see his potential replacement hired, even if it's not intended to happen for 3 years by management, it still puts a definitive "end date" to your tenure.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nick foles' competition wasn't roethlisber. And Matt Flynn's competition WAS RUSSEL WILSON. Ben can be upset because he's not Foles or Flynn

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's totally fabricated I won't research but rando 3+ rounds picks don't exactly overshadows a talented encumbent

16 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Nick foles' competition wasn't roethlisber. And Matt Flynn's competition WAS RUSSEL WILSON. Ben can be upset because he's not Foles or Flynn

The point wasn't who the competition was, but that in fact, if the backup QB can come in and play well, he's as or more likely to save the season than a 3rd round LB or whoever it is Big Ben thinks he should have picked.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt both say :lol:

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The league's reaction to those two players was the now traditional 3rd round run on running backs started in the 2nd instead. If you wanted this year's Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara or David Johnson you had to go a round earlier. 3 running backs in the 1st; 4 in the 2nd..... compared to 2017 when 2 went in the first 8 picks and 2 in the 2ns round before the run started in round 3. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The league's reaction to those two players was the now traditional 3rd round run on running backs started in the 2nd instead. If you wanted this year's Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara or David Johnson you had to go a round earlier. 3 running backs in the 1st; 4 in the 2nd..... compared to 2017 when 2 went in the first 8 picks and 2 in the 2ns round before the run started in round 3. 

The point is that 3rd round picks can be valuable additions toward immediate team success. 

Yeah but Ben to me is being a troll on this.  They took James Washington in the 2nd round, who will more than likely see reps as a WR.  Certainly Washington will help them in winning now if he has anywhere close to the season Ju Jus had last year.  They took a versatile Safety/Hybrid linebacker in Edmunds in the 1st to help the defense.  So taking a QB in the 3rd is a luxury pick IMO, of course he doesn't see it that way but you can't expect a front office to look at the Browns take a QB at #1 overall, then the Ravens take one at #32 and then all of his offseason antics about thinking about retirement the last two years, you can't expect them to just wait around until they actually need a QB to go get one.  I'm sure they remember the Charlie Batch years.  No team that has had the taste of not having a franchise QB, then having one, wants to revisit NOT having one.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The point is that 3rd round picks can be valuable additions toward immediate team success. 

And of course it is true that they can. But equally with a QB who hasn't exactly been injury free in recent years you have to weigh that against what a talented young Quarterback like Rudolph can do for you now and down the line. 

As I said earlier if you don't think Rudolph has the potential to be a successful NFL starter then you say - take the 3rd round guy who might contribute. If you do think Rudolph has that potential then you take the Quarterback, every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Next up: our own Mr WEO on ESPN :P

(sorry not sorry)

I think they arguably could have drafted a guy in the 3rd who would maybe work into the lineup, be depth, and help them on ST at least.

But if they're not happy with the backup QB situation, I think both the Eagles and the Vikings of recent years demonstrate how important the backup QB is.

Taking a QB in the 3rd whom some saw as a late 1st or 2nd round guy is plausibly the best value they saw there towards wins.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, section122 said:

I disagree sort of but thank you for clearing up your point.

If Stevie or Kyle came in and performed like hardy and mccargo respectively they would have been cut and not thought of again.  It was because mccargo was a 1st and hardy a 2nd that they got as many chances as they did.  Stevie and Kyle got their chance because they showed something quickly.

Exactly. Being drafted highly establishes a player’s reputation. Those with soild reputations will be given more chances to succeed. Life generally works this way, even outside of football. Every player does not enter the league on equal ground. Teams want every player to be successful, and everyone is given that chance. However, not everyone is allowed the same amount of time to prove themselves. Sam Bradford certainly wouldn’t continue to be signed as a starting QB, if he weren’t a first overall draft pick. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I said hello to both of them as they sat next to me at the bar watching the SB.

I told Hunt that as long as he was coached by  Andy Reid, he had zero chance of PLAYING in a SB.

zero point zero...

Kamara I consoled with the fact that his second contract will make him rich...he then bought me another draft.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Next up: our own Mr WEO on ESPN :P

(sorry not sorry)

I think they arguably could have drafted a guy in the 3rd who would maybe work into the lineup, be depth, and help them on ST at least.

But if they're not happy with the backup QB situation, I think both the Eagles and the Vikings of recent years demonstrate how important the backup QB is.

Taking a QB in the 3rd whom some saw as a late 1st or 2nd round guy is plausibly the best value they saw there towards wins.

I agree.  This was the year that they should have taken a cheap Ben replacement rather than some depth guy.

The Giants will with they had done the same...