Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

Recommended Posts

You have to wonder, with him saying all this, how helpful he will be to Rudolph? I mean that certainly can’t be reassuring to Mason. I don’t know how I’d feel if I were him.  Ben’s an asshat anyways....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

You have to wonder, with him saying all this, how helpful he will be to Rudolph? I mean that certainly can’t be reassuring to Mason. I don’t know how I’d feel if I were him.  Ben’s an asshat anyways....

 

Meh, talk is cheap, doesn't necessarily go with actions.  If Rudolph is a sensible, grounded kid (comes across as such), he'll be polite and respectful and see what happens, but also rely on the QB coach and OC and other QBs for development.

 

I think it's quite possible Aaron Rodgers would have had an easier time in Green Bay if he'd started out saying "Good morning, Mr Favre" instead of "Good morning, Grandpa"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

 

 

Having a solid backup QB might help along those lines.

 

I wouldn't call a rookie who has never taken a snap under center, has marginal talent, and needs a ton of work, a solid backup. The Foles thing was a blessing because he had been around awhile, knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid and had experienced success and failure in the NFL.

 

I know the hot narrative is now "the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup." All backup situations are not created equal. The Foles situation was a perfect storm.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Meh, talk is cheap, doesn't necessarily go with actions.  If Rudolph is a sensible, grounded kid (comes across as such), he'll be polite and respectful and see what happens, but also rely on the QB coach and OC and other QBs for development.

 

I think it's quite possible Aaron Rodgers would have had an easier time in Green Bay if he'd started out saying "Good morning, Mr Favre" instead of "Good morning, Grandpa"

Rudolph is definitely just that! I was very impressed with his combine interviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

 

I wouldn't call a rookie who has never taken a snap under center, has marginal talent, and needs a ton of work, a solid backup. The Foles thing was a blessing because he had been around awhile, knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid and had experienced success and failure in the NFL.

 

I know the hot narrative is now "the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup." All backup situations are not created equal. The Foles situation was a perfect storm.   

 

??  Why do you think "knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid" is a factor?  I didn't think Reich/Pederson's offense with Wentz was that much of a Reid-type clone?

 

I don't think anyone thinks Rudolph is a solid backup this year, but Landry Jones (who did at least win a game for them last year) is only under contract through 2018.

The best time to try to upgrade a critical position on the second day of the draft, is before you need the player to perform, and can give them a bit to develop.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

??  Why do you think "knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid" is a factor?  I didn't think Reich/Pederson's offense with Wentz was that much of a Reid-type clone?

 

I don't think anyone thinks Rudolph is a solid backup this year, but Landry Jones (who did at least win a game for them last year) is only under contract through 2018.

The best time to try to upgrade a critical position on the second day of the draft, is before you need the player to perform, and can give them a bit to develop.

 

I dunno. Dr. Fong was implying Rudolph is a solid back up. I'm not sure he will active at all this year. I get what you are saying, but you could replace Jones with pretty much anybody in free agency next year. They didn't have to go and spend that 3rd round pick on a QB. 

 

I've said it a few times, but Rudolph will never replace Big Ben or be good enough for that city. He's the ugly girl you date to bounce back after the hot one dumps you. He's Todd Collins. To me it doesn't matter who replaces Big Ben, because he won't be good enough. It's the guy who is drafted to replace Rudolph who will actually be the new franchise quarterback. That ugly girl could have been Jones or Dobbs or whatever. They didn't have to go and spend a third on this guy. 

 

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I agree with Big Ben. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh.  F. Big Ben.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rudolph was a steal in the 3rd round and, except for the large number of highly rated QB this year, would have been a low 1st, high 2nd round pick.   Pittsburg is usually going to be drafting in the 16+ slot and can not expect at getting a consensus top QB in the draft, without giving up something more than two years of 1st and 2nd round picks. ... so, taking two or three 1-for-4 shots for the replacement QB, rather than a very expensive 1-for2 shots is a smart move to do.    Rapensberger seems to be a self-centere butthead because the team put the team's interest over Ben's selfish interest.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's a moron. 

 

You beat me to it.  Roethlisberger may be a great QB on the field, but off the field, he's rivals your average golden retriever in IQ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ben becomes a FA after next season.  That could be his last with PIT.

Or maybe he's posturing for a contract renegotiation

 

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

 

You beat me to it.  Roethlisberger may be a great QB on the field, but off the field, he's rivals your average golden retriever in IQ.

Golden Retriever's are actually quite smart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Or maybe he's posturing for a contract renegotiation

 

Golden Retriever's are actually quite smart

 

PIT can't get Le'Veon Bell signed and are in a cap crunch next year too.

If Ben is thinking on more money in a extension contract good luck, especially after all his retirement talk.

But....................one never knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Shut up, Ben.  Do you hear Brady b*tching in public about all the QB New England has drafted in rounds where they could get a really good player who could help the team win now?  Which team has won more?

 

But notice the Pats drafted a QB no one ever heard of and passed on every QB that had any rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steelers have so many weapons and a solid O-Line, I could see Foles going there and winning a Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But notice the Pats drafted a QB no one ever heard of and passed on every QB that had any rep.

 

Not sure what's your point? 

 

NE has used 2 - 3rd round picks and a 2nd on QB in the last 8 years.  Not every year, every 2 or 3 years.

image.png.a64b43496a71c984a777cd878372f2b6.png

 

Steelers have used 2 4ths and a 5th in the same time frame.  

image.png.49681304c900fa7e50a86ca588b08f33.png

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Not sure what's your point? 

 

NE has used 2 - 3rd round picks and a 2nd on QB in the last 8 years.  Not every year, every 2 or 3 years.

image.png.a64b43496a71c984a777cd878372f2b6.png

 

Steelers have used 2 4ths and a 5th in the same time frame.  

image.png.49681304c900fa7e50a86ca588b08f33.png

 

 

 

 

My point is right after (supposedly) Brady had Jimmy G shipped out of Foxboro, Belichick drafts an absolute nobody in 2018 instead of a Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta, etc. Brady doesn't cry (in public at least) because he's Krafty Bob's boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

My point is right after (supposedly) Brady had Jimmy G shipped out of Foxboro, Belichick drafts an absolute nobody in 2018 instead of a Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta, etc. Brady doesn't cry (in public at least) because he's Krafty Bob's boy.

 

'K thanks for clarifying. 

 

I'm sure there's some truth to that.  OTOH, Jimmy G was going into free agency and reportedly refused to sign a contract that gave him a pretty hefty salary - I believe it was said to be $18M with a lot of guarantees.  The "smart GM" thing in that case is to get something, rather than nothing (analogous to what we did with Sammy Watkins).

 

Belichek could have not drafted a QB higher for a number of reasons:

1) no one he liked well enough

2) eschewing backup QB in favor of other positions to hopefully get them a SB win

3) he's putting on his "walking shoes" and if he leaves the Pats*** with an empty QB pantry, he doesn't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Or maybe he's posturing for a contract renegotiation

 

Golden Retriever's are actually quite smart

Yep, and they even do a better job of understanding consent than Ben.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think he is the best example of how much a first impression can carry you far.

 

He won the superbowl early on and has been much less effective ever since. He has also been a negative in terms of leadership and personality and obviously his off field behavior.

 

The Stillers in general have been "much less effective" since they won their last SB.  In recent years, their defense simply hasn't been as good as it needs to be for them to win in the playoffs, especially when they play in the same conference with Brady and the Pats, and their cap troubles have limited their ability to fix it.   Getting together a good enough team to be true Super Bowl contenders under the salary cap is a major problem for just about all of the teams with great QBs ... except for NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ll be the Pittsburgh Steelers long after he retires, not the Pittsburgh Roethlisbergers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 4, 2018 at 9:37 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

He's a dick, but he is right. If you are trying to win now you use that third rounder to help try to win a Super Bowl

 

 

So true!  The Seahawks did exactly that in 2012....

 

Look it up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, maryland-bills-fan said:

Rudolph was a steal in the 3rd round and, except for the large number of highly rated QB this year, would have been a low 1st, high 2nd round pick.   Pittsburg is usually going to be drafting in the 16+ slot and can not expect at getting a consensus top QB in the draft, without giving up something more than two years of 1st and 2nd round picks. ... so, taking two or three 1-for-4 shots for the replacement QB, rather than a very expensive 1-for2 shots is a smart move to do.    Rapensberger seems to be a self-centere butthead because the team put the team's interest over Ben's selfish interest.

 

Wouldn’t it be GREAT if Ben was shown the door after another season or two??!!  “Sorry Ben, but remember when you said maybe you just don’t have it anymore? You were right!” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, SoTier said:

You beat me to it.  Roethlisberger may be a great QB on the field, but off the field, he's rivals your average golden retriever in IQ.

 

You know, I've known some pretty smart Golden Retrievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

So true!  The Seahawks did exactly that in 2012....

 

Look it up

 

Ah yes that one time with that one guy (who actually had talent) for that one team that didn't have a quarterback. Great odds! 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×