Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I cannot wait until Will Ferrell plays him in a spoof about a meathead QB.  The golf course scene will be EPIC.  Can we please crowdfund for this to happen?

Hey they could also cast Rapeslisburger as Will Ferrell in a movie about Will Ferrel.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

really.  you think this why?

rudolph's no.1 guy.

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

I have had my coffee!

I will say that I do not watch the Steelers games very often. But by way of supporting my opinion, The Steelers have been consistently good for about 30 years. Many of them with non-luminaries at quarterback. Here is a synopsis of Cowher's career there. (all from wiki)

'In Cowher's 15 seasons as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team won eight division titles and made 10 playoff appearances. Cowher led the Steelers to the Super Bowl twice, winning one. He is the second coach in NFL history to reach the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished by Paul Brown. Cowher resigned as head coach of the Steelers on January 5, 2007, 11 months after winning Super Bowl XL in 2006 over the Seattle Seahawks."

Ben was only there for 2 of those years.

The Steelers won again in Feb 2009.

Here are Ben's stats from that season. "For the fifth year in a row the Steelers offense was led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger,[16] who finished the season with 3,301 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, with 15 interceptions. "

Here are Warner's : Warner posted one of his best seasons in 2008, throwing for 4,583 yards and 30 touchdowns, with only 14 interceptions

Here are Ben's stats from the 2008-09 Superbowl. Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception.

Here are Warner's : Warner completed 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception. His 377 yards was the second most in Super Bowl history behind his own record of 414 yards in Super Bowl XXXIV. Tom Brady passed Kurt Warner record by throwing for 466 yards during a 28-3 comeback in Super Bowl LI.

So yes, Ben has played well enough that the team gets to the playoffs pretty often. But I am not so sure he "carries" them there. As I have shown, they got to the playoffs before him.  And last won a superbowl 9 years ago in a season and a game where he performed just ok.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I have had my coffee!

I will say that I do not watch the Steelers games very often. But by way of supporting my opinion, The Steelers have been consistently good for about 30 years. Many of them with non-luminaries at quarterback. Here is a synopsis of Cowher's career there. (all from wiki)

'In Cowher's 15 seasons as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team won eight division titles and made 10 playoff appearances. Cowher led the Steelers to the Super Bowl twice, winning one. He is the second coach in NFL history to reach the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished by Paul Brown. Cowher resigned as head coach of the Steelers on January 5, 2007, 11 months after winning Super Bowl XL in 2006 over the Seattle Seahawks."

Ben was only there for 2 of those years.

The Steelers won again in Feb 2009.

Here are Ben's stats from that season. "For the fifth year in a row the Steelers offense was led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger,[16] who finished the season with 3,301 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, with 15 interceptions. "

Here are Warner's : Warner posted one of his best seasons in 2008, throwing for 4,583 yards and 30 touchdowns, with only 14 interceptions

Here are Ben's stats from the 2008-09 Superbowl. Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception.

Here are Warner's : Warner completed 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception. His 377 yards was the second most in Super Bowl history behind his own record of 414 yards in Super Bowl XXXIV. Tom Brady passed Kurt Warner record by throwing for 466 yards during a 28-3 comeback in Super Bowl LI.

So yes, Ben has played well enough that the team gets to the playoffs pretty often. But I am not so sure he "carries" them there. As I have shown, they got to the playoffs before him.  And last won a superbowl 9 years ago in a season and a game where he performed just ok.

Um, Meanie? 

Your point to which I responded was that Roethlisberger is being carried by his "first impressions" in the league and has been "less effective ever since".

Arguing that the Steelers were a great team for a long time under Cowher but Ben was only there his final 2 years, does not prove or disprove that point (the number is actually 3, but that 's a nit).  Neither does comparing Big Ben's 2008 statistics or Warners.

The only thing that can support your point, would be to show that Ben has, in fact, been less effective ever since his "first impression" in the league, however you want to define that - first 3 years?  first 5 years? relative to more recently.

I don't think you can support that point.

We would agree that Ben does not "carry" the team, but since I explictly stated that, and it wasn't a point you tried to make, that's not too germaine.

27 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

rudolph's no.1 guy.

The only things that will affect how much Ben throws to Washington are 1) whether Washington is on the field 2) whether he runs his routes effectively and is open 3) whether he effectively hauls in whatever Ben throws his way

To not throw to an open, effective WR because he was the #1 college target of the backup QB your team drafted would be football stupid.  And Ben hasn't remained a top QB in the NFL for more than a decade by being football stupid.

Off the field, he has sometimes appeared to have the mental acuity of a potted plant, but that won't impact whether and how much he throws to Washington.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, Meanie? 

Your point to which I responded was that Roethlisberger is being carried by his "first impressions" in the league and has been "less effective ever since".

Arguing that the Steelers were a great team for a long time under Cowher but Ben was only there his final 2 years, does not prove or disprove that point (the number is actually 3, but that 's a nit).  Neither does comparing Big Ben's 2008 statistics or Warners.

The only thing that can support your point, would be to show that Ben has, in fact, been less effective ever since his "first impression" in the league, however you want to define that - first 3 years?  first 5 years? relative to more recently.

I don't think you can support that point.

We would agree that Ben does not "carry" the team, but since I explictly stated that, and it wasn't a point you tried to make, that's not too germaine.

The only things that will affect how much Ben throws to Washington are 1) whether Washington is on the field 2) whether he runs his routes effectively and is open 3) whether he effectively hauls in whatever Ben throws his way

To not throw to an open, effective WR because he was the #1 college target of the backup QB your team drafted would be football stupid.  And Ben hasn't remained a top QB in the NFL for more than a decade by being football stupid.

Off the field, he has sometimes appeared to have the mental acuity of a potted plant, but that won't impact whether and how much he throws to Washington.

my original point was just a (tongue in cheek) comment...

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I cannot wait until Will Ferrell plays him in a spoof about a meathead QB.  The golf course scene will be EPIC.  Can we please crowdfund for this to happen?

I always felt he looked more like Seth Rogan, but to each their own.

I wonder if he took the team into consideration when he forced him self on to women and had to settle outside of court on rape allegations.

Or when he decided it was a better move to ride his motorcycle WITHOUT A HELMET, and crashing the thing almost ending his career if not his life.

Moreover, as touched on, the guy has publicly wavered on his own future in the league. 

Edited by BillsFan17

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He's a dick, but he is right. If you are trying to win now you use that third rounder to help try to win a Super Bowl. 

Having a solid backup QB might help along those lines.

I love Big Ben as a qb (not a person) but I think he’s taken too many heads to the hit. He threatens to retire every year.  Also, he’s that threatened by a 3rd round pick?  He seems very insecure. 

Also, I love the Steeelers draft. I can’t believe how lucky they get with wrs.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You have to wonder, with him saying all this, how helpful he will be to Rudolph? I mean that certainly can’t be reassuring to Mason. I don’t know how I’d feel if I were him.  Ben’s an asshat anyways....

2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

You have to wonder, with him saying all this, how helpful he will be to Rudolph? I mean that certainly can’t be reassuring to Mason. I don’t know how I’d feel if I were him.  Ben’s an asshat anyways....

Meh, talk is cheap, doesn't necessarily go with actions.  If Rudolph is a sensible, grounded kid (comes across as such), he'll be polite and respectful and see what happens, but also rely on the QB coach and OC and other QBs for development.

I think it's quite possible Aaron Rodgers would have had an easier time in Green Bay if he'd started out saying "Good morning, Mr Favre" instead of "Good morning, Grandpa"

12 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

Having a solid backup QB might help along those lines.

I wouldn't call a rookie who has never taken a snap under center, has marginal talent, and needs a ton of work, a solid backup. The Foles thing was a blessing because he had been around awhile, knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid and had experienced success and failure in the NFL.

I know the hot narrative is now "the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup." All backup situations are not created equal. The Foles situation was a perfect storm.   

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Meh, talk is cheap, doesn't necessarily go with actions.  If Rudolph is a sensible, grounded kid (comes across as such), he'll be polite and respectful and see what happens, but also rely on the QB coach and OC and other QBs for development.

I think it's quite possible Aaron Rodgers would have had an easier time in Green Bay if he'd started out saying "Good morning, Mr Favre" instead of "Good morning, Grandpa"

Rudolph is definitely just that! I was very impressed with his combine interviews. 

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wouldn't call a rookie who has never taken a snap under center, has marginal talent, and needs a ton of work, a solid backup. The Foles thing was a blessing because he had been around awhile, knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid and had experienced success and failure in the NFL.

I know the hot narrative is now "the Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup." All backup situations are not created equal. The Foles situation was a perfect storm.   

??  Why do you think "knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid" is a factor?  I didn't think Reich/Pederson's offense with Wentz was that much of a Reid-type clone?

I don't think anyone thinks Rudolph is a solid backup this year, but Landry Jones (who did at least win a game for them last year) is only under contract through 2018.

The best time to try to upgrade a critical position on the second day of the draft, is before you need the player to perform, and can give them a bit to develop.

• Like (+1) 1

??  Why do you think "knew the offense from his time with Andy Reid" is a factor?  I didn't think Reich/Pederson's offense with Wentz was that much of a Reid-type clone?

I don't think anyone thinks Rudolph is a solid backup this year, but Landry Jones (who did at least win a game for them last year) is only under contract through 2018.

The best time to try to upgrade a critical position on the second day of the draft, is before you need the player to perform, and can give them a bit to develop.

I dunno. Dr. Fong was implying Rudolph is a solid back up. I'm not sure he will active at all this year. I get what you are saying, but you could replace Jones with pretty much anybody in free agency next year. They didn't have to go and spend that 3rd round pick on a QB. 

I've said it a few times, but Rudolph will never replace Big Ben or be good enough for that city. He's the ugly girl you date to bounce back after the hot one dumps you. He's Todd Collins. To me it doesn't matter who replaces Big Ben, because he won't be good enough. It's the guy who is drafted to replace Rudolph who will actually be the new franchise quarterback. That ugly girl could have been Jones or Dobbs or whatever. They didn't have to go and spend a third on this guy. 

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I agree with Big Ben. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown