Roethlisberger publically questions Steelers using 3rd pick on QB

I don’t blame the Steelers FO for doing their due diligence and bringing in a raw QB.

Is Rothey THAT insecure to think Rudolph is going to unseat him!

He’s a douche-nozzle, pure and simple.

I have spoken!!!

Landry Jones was AWFUL when Ben was out. The Steelers needed to address that as a problem.

The Steelers are smart to think that if Ben is hurt for a few games, they will need somebody. And he seems to get hurt more often as he gets older.

Even if Ben can play for a few more years, they should address the need for his eventual replacement. 

The idea that even a top pick can benefit from watching and learning is wise.

Heck, maybe they should have moved up to get somebody better.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ben forced them into this position. The Steelers have a good roster. They probably don't feel like leaving themselves open to a position where Ben shock retires and they are left with a lot of talent that can't win because they don't have a Quarterback. If he didn't keep talking about retiring maybe they do spend that 3rd on a "win now" player. They basically turned a receiver who is one failed test away from out of the league and who they were not gonna re-sign into a developmental QB who could be the successor. That is good roster management in my book. 

Forcing people into positions definitely didn't work for him in the past.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Big Ben has always been an overrated piece of trash

An overrated piece of trash with 2 Super Bowl Rings, 3 Conference titles, elite stats for over a decade, and a first ballot reservation to Canton :rolleyes:

Ben put his foot in his mouth on this for sure, but I do understand what he's trying to say.  Ben knows he only has a few years left and would like to go out on top.   Drafting developmental 3rd and 4th round QBs every year aren't the missing pieces to dethrone the Patriots*

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Ben is starting to get knicked up as well no?

Yep.  Not to mention, as Yolo didn't say but meant, he's starting to look like the Michelin Tire man.  Which is not going to do him any favors as far as avoiding injury.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ben forced them into this position. The Steelers have a good roster. They probably don't feel like leaving themselves open to a position where Ben shock retires and they are left with a lot of talent that can't win because they don't have a Quarterback. If he didn't keep talking about retiring maybe they do spend that 3rd on a "win now" player. They basically turned a receiver who is one failed test away from out of the league and who they were not gonna re-sign into a developmental QB who could be the successor. That is good roster management in my book. 

Absolutely.  The best value in a replacement QB is a guy you can take in the 2-4 round and develop.  The odds are lower, but when you have a QB, you can afford to play those odds and draft a guy you like every year, then move on if they don't work out.  The Steelers are absolutely doing what they should.

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ben didn’t seem happy about Rudolph joining the team that is for sure. Ben’s responses to mentoring Rudolph were also telling on how he feels. Ben will not be playing at 40 years old. I can see Ben playing two more years and then giving way to the next QB for Pitts. It could be Rudolph. 

Ben went on like an a** about Rudolph.  First he's all offended Rudolph says he doesn't expect Roethlisberger to mentor him, interprets it as "he says he doesn't need me, I'll just point at the playbook".  Then Ben rightly points out that his job #1 is to get ready to play, which is exactly aligned with what Rudolph said taken in context...that Rudolph understands Ben's Job #1 is to get ready to play, not to mentor rookie QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

How? 

Hes always been a moron. Nothing's changed.

Rapefulburger and Marsha are close to the end. If McBeane can build a contender and Allen turns into a franchise guy (there's always hope), the Bills could be the creme de la creme.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

An overrated piece of trash with 2 Super Bowl Rings, 3 Conference titles, elite stats for over a decade, and a first ballot reservation to Canton :rolleyes:

Take out one word and you exactly state my opinion.  Weeeeeell, except that some of his off field behavior might make balloting into the HOF take longer

12 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Ben put his foot in his mouth on this for sure, but I do understand what he's trying to say.  Ben knows he only has a few years left and would like to go out on top.   Drafting developmental 3rd and 4th round QBs every year aren't the missing pieces to dethrone the Patriots*

Maybe.  Or maybe having the best backup QB you can get your hands on at a reasonable cost is a critical missing piece.  Worked out for Philly.

10 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Big Ben has always been an overrated piece of trash

I think he is the best example of how much a first impression can carry you far.

He won the superbowl early on and has been much less effective ever since. He has also been a negative in terms of leadership and personality and obviously his off field behavior.

39 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think he is the best example of how much a first impression can carry you far.

He won the superbowl early on and has been much less effective ever since. He has also been a negative in terms of leadership and personality and obviously his off field behavior.

Meanie, have you had your morning coffee yet?

Big Ben has never been the sort of QB who can totally carry a team.  There are only 2 (maybe 3 or 4) of them in the league. He benefits from a strong run game and an offensive scheme that suits him (most QB do)

But there's only been 1 year where the Steelers had an effective, top 10 D and he didn't carry them into the playoffs - and that was 2012, when he missed 3 games and was arguably hampered afterwards.  In his 14 year career, there are only 3 years where his team hasn't had a winning record; their worst record was 8-8.

He has played at a high level consistently for 14 years.  His stats such as completion percentage, #TD, TD/INT, passing yards, YPA etc have either improved or held steady.  He is in no way being carried by a "first impression" and become "less effective ever sense". 

He does have his negatives for off-field behavior, but he got married in 2011 and has either stopped or kept any off-field crap out of the news since then.

I think he's probably kept on with being a douche, based on his recent comments and his "maybe I'll retire/maybe I won't" schtick, but he's an excellent QB.

25 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

poor washington probably won't see many balls thrown his way.

really.  you think this why?

Of course they didn't believe you Big Ben. Last off-season you weren't sure if you wanted to play anymore. Can't just now say never mind I want to play 3-5 more years and expect the coaches and GM to believe you. They have to prepare for the future. It's easy to say you want to play 3-5 more years in the middle of April.