Buffalo News: GM Beane breaks down trading up twice in first round of NFL Draft

This is a fantastic article:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/inside-the-bills-gm-brandon-beane-breaks-down-how-he-traded-up-twice-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525465869

I see now it's behind a paywall. I was able to read it a few minutes ago and now I can't. If someone can copy and paste it that would be helpful.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/inside-the-bills-gm-brandon-beane-breaks-down-how-he-traded-up-twice-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525465869

I see now it's behind a paywall. I was able to read it a few minutes ago and now I can't. If someone can copy and paste it that would be helpful.

i just pulled it up so it may be a case of it going behind a paywall on a subsequent vist? anyhoo...i won't paste the entire article as that is against the DMCA and the Fair Use Act. however, according to their guidelines, i will post a snippet.

Brandon Beane thought he had prepared for every possible scenario in last week’s NFL Draft.

The Buffalo Bills’ general manager ran through situations where the team made both its first-round draft picks. He mapped out what it would look like to trade away one of those picks. He ran through hypotheticals that saw the Bills trade both second-round picks, keep them both or just keep one.

The one scenario Beane didn’t envision, however, is the one that played out. Seeing Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds slip down the board meant all of Beane’s planning went out the window.

“I can’t lie. I'd love to tell you that I planned that out, and I'm that good, but I didn't,” Beane said. “I thought I had every scenario, but I didn't have that one.”

In a wide-ranging interview with The Buffalo News, Beane methodically detailed the team’s approach to the draft, from working the phones in an effort to trade up to the nervous moments when he thought his quarterback might be getting away from him and then the jubilation in the war room after landing Edwards. ...

... With the No. 4 pick not an option, Beane turned his attention to No. 5. He spoke three times on draft day with Broncos boss John Elway.

“I felt like, what I shared with Terry and Kim, is Denver's our best landing spot,” Beane said.  “We were closing in on what it would cost. I was good with that.”

The Bills would trade No. 12 and No. 22 in the first round to the Broncos, along with one of their second-round picks, and get the No. 5 selection along with one of Denver’s third rounders.

“Literally about 8 o'clock, John calls me and says all right, here's what we'll do,” Beane said. “We finalized the deal, but it's contingent on his guy not being there.”

Beane has a suspicion the guy whom Elway wanted was North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb.

“But I didn't know. You never know,” he said. “Some people had said they really liked a corner, which I assume would have been (Ohio State’s Denzel) Ward if it was that, but it was Chubb.”

The Bills’ entire draft changed when the Browns selected Ward with the No. 4 pick. At first, Beane thought that was a bad thing.

“I was really nervous when Cleveland got on the clock. You've got your channels where you're getting information outside of the draft room. Somebody told me, it's down to Ward or Chubb,” he said. “Earlier in the day, people felt like they were probably going to go Chubb. That was my first four. I did say it was going to be Chubb, and we'll go to Denver. I was wrong.

“Not until they were on the clock did I get the text from somebody that said, 'Hey, Ward may go here.' I said (expletive).”

With Chubb still on the board, the trade with Denver fell through ....

... “I had just talked to John Lynch with San Francisco, he said, ‘We've got a guy, Brandon. I don't know, it would have to be pretty good to talk us out of that, unless he's gone,’ ” Beane said. “So I'm like, 'Let me see what this pick is. I was going to call him back as soon as Tampa put their pick in.' ”

Instead, the Bills’ phone rang 30 seconds after the Bucs went on the clock. Tampa General Manager Jason Licht was on the line.

“He said, ‘I'll do it for the twos, but we've got to do it right now,’ ” Beane said. “I said alright, I need another pick, though. I need a player. I don't care what it is, just give me your last pick, whatever it is. He said, ‘Alright, done.’ ”

The last pick ended up being No. 255, one away from the last pick in the entire draft. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Ok maybe everyone can read it when you click it for the first time. It is worth the read. We must have had Edmunds ranked very high the way Beane talked about him. We had a deal in place with Denver to get Allen, would have cost us both 1sts and a 2nd but we would have gotten a 3rd back. When Chubb fell Denver called off the trade and Beane was worried no one else before Miami would want to make the trade. Tampa came through at the last minute.

Its a good article. 

Couple of notes: Beane had a deal with Elway @ 5 unless Chubb is on the board, Beane didn't have the QB board finalized until after a late workout with Darnold, Beane would only traded to two pre-draft night. There is a bunch more.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Ok maybe everyone can read it when you click it for the first time. It is worth the read. We must have had Edmunds ranked very high the way Beane talked about him. We had a deal in place with Denver to get Allen, would have cost us both 1sts and a 2nd but we would have gotten a 3rd back. When Chubb fell Denver called off the trade and Beane was worried no one else before Miami would want to make the trade. Tampa came through at the last minute.

Pretty much the same thing from the Bills' website.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i just pulled it jup so it may be a case of it going behind a paywall on a subsequent vist? anyhoo...i won't paste the entire article as that is against the DMCA and the Fair Use Act. however, according to their guidelines, i will post a snippet.

think we may FINALLY Have a GM winner in charge?......has to be demoralizing for the TBD pundits' "fire McBeane, McD and McDaboll" gang now.....sure it is early on, but this FO, Admin & coaching staff sure as hell IMO is shaping up to be "Polian like"......a tad (COUGH) better than the post Polian gang of unqualified misfits plugged into positions NOT qualified for as well as the "over the hill" gang lauded because they were "re-tired"....hell, I'd bet McBeane already has detailed sketches drawn up as to his moves, probable Bflo draft slots, possible draftees, UFA's/RFA's for 2019 with $85+ mil in the cookie jar......

Thanks - enjoyed the read.

Some comments from Beane I had heard before, but he has now spelled out the terms for the trade with Denver..

12,, 22 and one of their second rounders for 5 and one of Denver’s third rounders...

Thank the Lord that Cleveland picked Ward..

• Like (+1) 4

Man, I REALLY want to read this but can't get past the pay wall.

I'm not asking for anyone to violate any laws, but if anyone can think of a way for me to read the whole article (short of subscribing), I'd sure appreciate it.

I have to give McBene a lot of credit prior to the draft day ( it was going to be #2 or nothing) and  especially when Denver deal fell through , he stayed cool got his QB and kept the 22nd pick which got us hopefully another QB on defense for the next decade or so !!!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

think we may FINALLY Have a GM winner in charge?......has to be demoralizing for the TBD pundits' "fire McBeane, McD and McDaboll" gang now.....sure it is early on, but this FO, Admin & coaching staff sure as hell IMO is shaping up to be "Polian like"......a tad (COUGH) better than the post Polian gang of unqualified misfits plugged into positions NOT qualified for as well as the "over the hill" gang lauded because they were "re-tired"....hell, I'd bet McBeane already has detailed sketches drawn up as to his moves, probable Bflo draft slots, possible draftees, UFA's/RFA's for 2019 with $85+ mil in the cookie jar......

This staff didn’t tolerate Russ Brandons crap either and kept him away from the football side. They have a vision and will sink/swim by it- my guess is they will swim and we’re all going to be happy campers in a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

That's great stuff.  Plenty of details. 

One thing that's changed under McBeane is that they aren't afraid to tell you stuff.  They are confident about what they can and can't say, and they share information. That's great for the fans.  

One question.  Beane says he knew very very little about the qbs on the day the Jets traded up.  Beand saod, essentially, that he was in no position to make a move like that at that time.  Well, the Jets traded a boat load to get to three, so they to know there were three qbs they would take.  How could they be so sure about threw when Beane didn't know anything?  Were the Jets just stupid and got lucky?

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

Man, I REALLY want to read this but can't get past the pay wall.

I'm not asking for anyone to violate any laws, but if anyone can think of a way for me to read the whole article (short of subscribing), I'd sure appreciate it.

Keep trying.  I got in around the 3rd or 4th try.  Not sure how, but I did.  Excellent article.  Makes me consider signing up for the Buffalo News.  $3 a month seems cheap.

Edited by PIZ

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What’s interesting is that the Bills would not have given up much more (if any) to move up to 5.  And that TB, not Buffalo, was the one who initiated the deal at 7, although I’m sure they had spoken.  Good stuff.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

What’s interesting is that the Bills would not have given up much more (if any) to move up to 5.  And that TB, not Buffalo, was the one who initiated the deal at 7, although I’m sure they had spoken.  Good stuff.

Umm - pick 22 would have been required to go to 5...

No new Linebacker if that happens ...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's great stuff.  Plenty of details. 

One thing that's changed under McBeane is that they aren't afraid to tell you stuff.  They are confident about what they can and can't say, and they share information. That's great for the fans.  

One question.  Beane says he knew very very little about the qbs on the day the Jets traded up.  Beand saod, essentially, that he was in no position to make a move like that at that time.  Well, the Jets traded a boat load to get to three, so they to know there were three qbs they would take.  How could they be so sure about threw when Beane didn't know anything?  Were the Jets just stupid and got lucky?

Maybe both? 

One thing that always surprises me is hearing “experts” who have been there before say late in the process that teams were just finishing up evaluations and putting a board together. Did the Jets do it sooner? Is that something to learn from?

They got lucky I think that Darnold fell to them (thanks, Cleveland!), but they had to know they’d get someone they were happy with there. Who were the others they coveted and in what order?  No idea but it’d LOVE to be a fly on the wall to see this in action.