CBS Sports: Darnold v. Allen, Rookie Matchup to Watch

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

That could be the offensive scheme. That could be that the WR's sucked (which they did), and really did the guy know this, or was he guessing? Seems to me like Allen had plenty of pass attempts.

In comparison to the other big three

Allen- 649 28 games played 

Mayfield- 1157 at Oklahoma 40 games played

Darnold- 846... 27 games played 

Rosen-1170... 30 games played 

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ethos: Character and credibility, often inclusive of expertise and knowledge. (Thanks Aristotle :thumbsup:)

And on a sidenote... can we LEASE friggin hire Palmer as our QB coach for continuity's sake?!

And again NO.  If he is hired as an assistant QB coach (Bills already have one and not going to fire him for McD already has reputation as hire and fire guy) or offensive assistant then per NFLPA rules he cannot work with him between camps, etc.  He will need help digesting play book, fixing stances, etc. and that is best done between camps.

Really going to determine who takes over the Pats.  Overall, I like Alles chances to become a better Qb than Darnold.  Buffalo has a better team around Allen.  The organization finally seems to have a significant amount of security and direction.  Daboll should be the OC for a quite a few years.  I dont see Bowles lasting much more than a season or two, Danrold will be in a less stable situation.

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

I heard some anti Allen guy on WGR claim that Wyoming took the ball out of his hands and ran it,even though they have a terrible run game.

He said that points to the lack of trust in the QB.

Whats the truth?  His attempts do not lend to this theory,but I have no clue.

Wyoming football is all about running the ball and stopping the run. It's old-school football. People act like Mike Leach was his coach.

People are strange.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lol, really? Josh threw the ball 270 times and his backs combined carried for 253. That's a strong ratio when it comes to the ground game.

Even in 2016 Allen had 373 passing attempts and his lead back 349 carries.

They did lose a good RB and WR after the 2016 season. Perhaps the offense was much more "reserved" last year after losing 2 big keys to their offense the previous season.

16 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I love people around the NFL speak of Buffalo as though the weather there late in the season is radically different than lots of other NFL cities.  It's not.

We also don't play all the late season games at home.

Weather doesn't really impact Bills football enough to even be a minor concern. 

Except when it does.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Palmer doesn’t want To make the leap yet to the NFL.

He is super content doing the guru thing and will probably coach in college first 

...and can operate outside of CBA restrictions purview......probably easier to attract clients off season and who pay handsomely for it.....even though his career didn't amount to much, nice to see he found a profitable niche.......former QB's like Simms and Dilfer have pursued a similar path, staying involved in the game......

15 hours ago, Chris in Syracuse said:

Too bad that Miami didn’t draft Rosen.

It just dawned on me that in 1983 every now AFC east team took a QB in the first round that year. And of the 6 picked all were from AFC teams. 

In fact I just went back and technically all 5 AFC East Teams In 83 picked a QB, the Colts later traded Elway. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

20 hours ago, boater said:

CBS Sports listed  seven top rookie matchups two watch in 2018. The December Jets game was listed as Number 1.

Sam Darnold vs. Josh Allen: Ranking the best rookie matchups on the NFL schedule

An ESPN columnist is quoted via Twitter:

Lolz. I can live with the Hoth label. It's not accurate, but it does psych out opposing teams.

The game is touted as a sneak peak at a long running AFC East QB rivalry.

Planet Hoth ??

19 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Let's hope Allen vs. Darnold is THE matchup to watch for the next 20 years! I'm down.

As long as we win.

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I love people around the NFL speak of Buffalo as though the weather there late in the season is radically different than lots of other NFL cities.  It's not.

We also don't play all the late season games at home.

Weather doesn't really impact Bills football enough to even be a minor concern. 

True but it good to put that fear in the opponent's head.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

meh...he sounds the same to me.

Just excited about Allen's athleticism. But, who isn't?

Did you listen to all those interviews I posted? Did you listen to any of them? Doesn't seem like you did if Palmer is "just excited about Allen's athleticism" considering he talks very very little about Allen's athleticism.

Here's another WGR interview by Palmer just before the draft.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-25-quarterback-consultant-jordan-palmer-howard-and-jeremy

Another interesting thing, to me, is the post draft interview circuit for Palmer. He's had some regarding Allen, but none, as far as I can find, about Darnold.

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Transplant went from hating Allen as a prospect to defending him with his life. I look forward to a lot of very long and repetitive argument threads ?

I absolutely did... though not the defending him with my life thing. But yes, I loathed the idea of drafting him.

I also said before the draft that if we drafted him, I just hoped I could delude myself into getting excited about my new QB relatively quickly...

and I guess I did :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did you listen to all those interviews I posted? Did you listen to any of them? Doesn't seem like you did if Palmer is "just excited about Allen's athleticism" considering he talks very very little about Allen's athleticism.

Lol. He talks about his huge arm and "arm talent" a lot.

Can you please not go nuts over this QB, too? Just chill out and enjoy the ride.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Have we reached a point where we will reach for literally anything at all to hang our hats on when it comes to Josh Allen?

I'll be honest, I wasn't totally against the pick at the time, but I wasn't thrilled. Since then, I've become more optimistic about it for various reasons, but I'm not trying convince myself any way I can that he'll be good. I/we just don't know. There's no need to try and convince yourself of anything in order to justify the pick. I'm just going to trust that the people in charge know what they're doing, and see where it goes from here. Do I think he'll end up being a good one? Yes, and not based off of a hope that he will be, due to playing for my favorite team. My vindication will only come after he sees the field, and proves it, not from trying to read between the lines of Jordan Palmer interviews.

Not trying to be a jerk here, Transplant. Its just that I've seen plenty of posts here lately that try however they can to justify taking Allen over Rosen. And while many of them, I can agree with, it's the whole idea of what we as fans are doing that seems foolish. What's done is done, and quite honestly, it's pretty easy to understand why the Bills took Allen over Rosen IMO. Let's let their play on the field be our justification. ...

hey DPG.

prior to the draft, i really had no horse in the race here. i don't have the time to do any of the film study it would have required to have an educated opinion. if there was just one QB to study, perhaps that may have been doable but barely. as such, like you i simply was putting my trust in the brain trust at OBD to do their due diligence and try to select whom they believed worthy of their obvious efforts to secure a QB this draft. though i do remember telling Trans back in all the early chatter about who we would want that because he was so against Allen,  i was convinced that was who we were taking. said in jest at the time, i had no idea just how correct i was.

since we have now drafted Allen, i have been trying to find the time to watch his college game tape as i can. much like it has been bandied about on the forum of late, i really do not see what the pundits proclaimed prior to the draft.  i think Allen displays good accuracy and has a deft touch on the ball when he wants. obviously he played in a less than ideal environment so getting a truly accurate gauge on him is difficult at best. he did take a perrenial 2/3 win team and raise their level of play to get them to an 8 win team so that says a lot in my estimation ,as does the fact that they lost the last two games without him under center.

i say i didn't have any horse in the predraft race and that is mostly true. the possible exception was a concern for Rosen and his apparent fraility. i was concerned that he was just a couple of hits to the noggin from early retirement. i was afraid that if the Bills selected him that that would be our fate because, you know that just seems like a Billsy thing that would happen. for that reason alone, i am glad i will not have that constant worry in the back of my mind.

here's hoping Allen is everything OBD thinks he can be. if he is, i look forward to dominating not only the AFCE for the next 10/15 years, but to also kicking the **** out of the Patriots every chance we get. 

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, boater said:

CBS Sports listed  seven top rookie matchups two watch in 2018. The December Jets game was listed as Number 1.

Sam Darnold vs. Josh Allen: Ranking the best rookie matchups on the NFL schedule

An ESPN columnist is quoted via Twitter:

Lolz. I can live with the Hoth label. It's not accurate, but it does psych out opposing teams.

The game is touted as a sneak peak at a long running AFC East QB rivalry.

Did you miss the Indy game last year?

snowgameScaled.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

okay so... this is no longer Trans' thread. it was merged. had a tough time finding it again.

sometimes things just need to be left to fend for themselves. let the better thread on a topic win out.

but, what do i know...... 

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Lol. He talks about his huge arm and "arm talent" a lot.

Guess we view athleticism differently.

Also shows what happens to messaging based on the perspective of the listener, cause I heard very little in there about "arm talent" (I assume you mean strength) and more about work ethic, smarts, processing speed, misunderstood accuracy, etc.

But, to each his own.

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Can you please not go nuts over this QB, too? Just chill out and enjoy the ride.

I am. Are you?

The Josh McCown quote still makes me nervous.

The Jets have the perfect veteran QB that has all the experience in the world and wants to legitimately help the newcomer.

We have Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron for Allen to learn from.

32 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The Josh McCown quote still makes me nervous.

The Jets have the perfect veteran QB that has all the experience in the world and wants to legitimately help the newcomer.

We have Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron for Allen to learn from.

McCown can make all the nice public statements he wants. He didn't sign on to be a rookie's teacher. He's a competitive guy who played very well in 2017.

McCarron is a future coach, fwiw.

53 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

No life here. 

Thanks.

Well, I admit that was a bit harsh. It's just the referencing little details like that seems a bit fixated on the whole series. But I get it.  My wife dragged me to a couple and I found myself not willing to suspend my disbelief. She's cracker dogs about them.