CBS Sports: Darnold v. Allen, Rookie Matchup to Watch

11 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Your agenda is weird and sad

Do me a favor and don’t deflect your own deficiencies onto me. 

Thanks bro. 

9 hours ago, dlonce said:

I heard some anti Allen guy on WGR claim that Wyoming took the ball out of his hands and ran it,even though they have a terrible run game.

He said that points to the lack of trust in the QB.

Whats the truth?  His attempts do not lend to this theory,but I have no clue.

Also on Twitter.  Definitely a red flag. 

66F5676E-75B1-4817-92BF-F9E325BD7BBC.jpeg

On 5/4/2018 at 5:21 PM, Fadingpain said:

I love people around the NFL speak of Buffalo as though the weather there late in the season is radically different than lots of other NFL cities.  It's not.

We also don't play all the late season games at home.

Weather doesn't really impact Bills football enough to even be a minor concern. 

You would think Buffalo was in the Northwest Territories the way the media characterizes the area. Green Bay, Cleveland and Chicago have just as crappy weather.

13 hours ago, MPT said:

The guy was making the point that Wyoming actually ran it far more than other teams despite having a far worse running game. 

have you looked to see if the stats bear this out? Or are you just taking a loud mouth's word for it?

On May 5, 2018 at 11:46 AM, BillsFan17 said:

Lol, really? Josh threw the ball 270 times and his backs combined carried for 253. That's a strong ratio when it comes to the ground game.

Even in 2016 Allen had 373 passing attempts and his lead back 349 carries.

Correct. Wyo's O is basically power run. Something people should keep in mind.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 3:09 PM, Foxx said:

hey DPG.

prior to the draft, i really had no horse in the race here. i don't have the time to do any of the film study it would have required to have an educated opinion. if there was just one QB to study, perhaps that may have been doable but barely. as such, like you i simply was putting my trust in the brain trust at OBD to do their due diligence and try to select whom they believed worthy of their obvious efforts to secure a QB this draft. though i do remember telling Trans back in all the early chatter about who we would want that because he was so against Allen,  i was convinced that was who we were taking. said in jest at the time, i had no idea just how correct i was.

since we have now drafted Allen, i have been trying to find the time to watch his college game tape as i can. much like it has been bandied about on the forum of late, i really do not see what the pundits proclaimed prior to the draft.  i think Allen displays good accuracy and has a deft touch on the ball when he wants. obviously he played in a less than ideal environment so getting a truly accurate gauge on him is difficult at best. he did take a perrenial 2/3 win team and raise their level of play to get them to an 8 win team so that says a lot in my estimation ,as does the fact that they lost the last two games without him under center.

i say i didn't have any horse in the predraft race and that is mostly true. the possible exception was a concern for Rosen and his apparent fraility. i was concerned that he was just a couple of hits to the noggin from early retirement. i was afraid that if the Bills selected him that that would be our fate because, you know that just seems like a Billsy thing that would happen. for that reason alone, i am glad i will not have that constant worry in the back of my mind.

here's hoping Allen is everything OBD thinks he can be. if he is, i look forward to dominating not only the AFCE for the next 10/15 years, but to also kicking the **** out of the Patriots every chance we get. 

Good post, pretty much described my position as well. Ironic how things turn out sometimes.

To be honest, I haven't had the time to watch very much "film" of Allen at Wyoming, but I will say this: too often, people directly correlate completion percentage with accuracy, but that's not a true reflection. There's several things that factor into each pass being completed or not, and it's not always on the QB. I'm sure that there's several throws that he put in the right spot, yet the pass wasn't completed for one reason or another. I did read that, had he completed something like 15 or 16 more passes, his % would be above 60. Still not a great number, but would be a noticeable mark up from his actual completion percentage with just a few passes. 

What I have done since the draft is read up on Allen, and I've definitely warmed up to him, but I'm not reaching for random, irrelevant things to convince myself or others that he's the guy. Quite honestly, though, it's easy to get caught up in the pre-draft hype and pundit chatter that circulates for months. As fans (the vast majority of us, not knowing what's fact, but going off of the words of "professionals"), we're easily convinced that the ideas that are spread in the chatter are accurate, but they're not always totally true. The "accuracy" concerns with Allen may not be as much of an issue as perceived, just like the character concerns with Rosen may not and up being either. But only time will tell. 

On 5/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, MJS said:

That could be the offensive scheme. That could be that the WR's sucked (which they did), and really did the guy know this, or was he guessing? Seems to me like Allen had plenty of pass attempts.

It comes from this Twitter thread (I'll post the highlights related to this):

Edit: I think people are taking this to mean that Wyoming clearly didn't think Allen was as good as the NFL does when in reality, that take assumes that all college teams coach their teams in a perfectly efficient manner, but in actuality, few college coaches (or even NFL coaches for that matter, i.e. last year's Bills offense) adapt to their personnel the best way that they can. It's not about a lack of faith in Josh to put the team on his back; it's about the coaching staff's stubbornness not to take advantage of what they have because they're more comfortable in their own set ways. I'd have to read more from Sharp to determine if he even meant this Twitter thread to attack Allen; the way this particular thread reads it sounds more like he's arguing that the Wyoming coaches are stupid.

Edited by DCOrange

On 5/6/2018 at 12:33 AM, reddogblitz said:

have you looked to see if the stats bear this out? Or are you just taking a loud mouth's word for it?

Neither, just clarifying what the guest was saying in the interview. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

It comes from this Twitter thread (I'll post the highlights related to this):

Edit: I think people are taking this to mean that Wyoming clearly didn't think Allen was as good as the NFL does when in reality, that take assumes that all college teams coach their teams in a perfectly efficient manner, but in actuality, few college coaches (or even NFL coaches for that matter, i.e. last year's Bills offense) adapt to their personnel the best way that they can. It's not about a lack of faith in Josh to put the team on his back; it's about the coaching staff's stubbornness not to take advantage of what they have because they're more comfortable in their own set ways. I'd have to read more from Sharp to determine if he even meant this Twitter thread to attack Allen; the way this particular thread reads it sounds more like he's arguing that the Wyoming coaches are stupid.

Sharp is certainly adamant about painting a certain picture, but all he's done is look at numbers, and make a conclusion based off of them. There's so many factors and variables in football, yet Mr. Sharp seems to things it's very cut and dry. He does nothing to elaborate on why the run game was so poor. No mention of studying tape, assessing the offensive line, etc., yet he puts out some tweets based off of numbers, and us common fans assume he's such a reputable "source" and take his word as gospel.

Now I'm not saying that he's off base or not on to something, but it just comes off as very bland "analysis" and somewhat agenda driven, and people like Mr. Carter here take it and run with it, saying that the coach was "taking the ball out of his hands", when really it could simply be more about a coach that sticks to a game plan or philosophy of establishing a commitment to running the ball, for whatever reason. Wyoming lost a good RB and WR after 2016, and (shocker) their rushing and passing yards overall decreased in 2017. And the quote about having a harder time when you're behind the sticks on 2nd and 3rd down is valid in all of football, yet Sharp seems to try and dismiss that idea...

It's been fun to read this thread.  Damnded if we do.  Damned if we don't.  

I'm excited.  I haven't agreed with everything McBean have done, but I'm trusting the process.

For what it's worth, only pundits and arm chair GMs seem to not like Allen.

Edited by JaxBills
Specify the subject

On 5/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, JohnnyK said:

Hoth was a moon...just saying!

and this match up will make or break these two teams for years to come!!!!!

go bills!

please be right!

but not not wide right!!!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hoth

"Hoth was a remote, icy planet that was the sixth planet in the star system of the same name."

*pushes glasses up*