CBS Sports: Darnold v. Allen, Rookie Matchup to Watch

CBS Sports listed  seven top rookie matchups two watch in 2018. The December Jets game was listed as Number 1.

Sam Darnold vs. Josh Allen: Ranking the best rookie matchups on the NFL schedule

An ESPN columnist is quoted via Twitter:

my favorite defense of josh allen is that buffalo is the planet hoth

Lolz. I can live with the Hoth label. It's not accurate, but it does psych out opposing teams.

The game is touted as a sneak peak at a long running AFC East QB rivalry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love people around the NFL speak of Buffalo as though the weather there late in the season is radically different than lots of other NFL cities.  It's not.

We also don't play all the late season games at home.

Weather doesn't really impact Bills football enough to even be a minor concern. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hoth was a moon...just saying!

and this match up will make or break these two teams for years to come!!!!!

go bills!

please be right!

but not not wide right!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I love people around the NFL speak of Buffalo as though the weather there late in the season is radically different than lots of other NFL cities.  It's not.

While I agree with you about snow/ blizzard conditions, the winds off of Lake Erie are a mess.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chris in Syracuse said:

Too bad that Miami didn’t draft Rosen.

I'm good with Tannehill.  Rosen has all the tools to be a very good NFL quarterback.  Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

If we ever had a home playoff game it might.

Ethos: Character and credibility, often inclusive of expertise and knowledge. (Thanks Aristotle :thumbsup:)

If Jordan Palmer has it... then Allen >>>>> Darnold.

All in all, I have listened to Palmer talk about Allen and Watson and Darnold a good bit... he really seems genuinely excited about Allen in interviews I've watched and listened to, slightly less about Darnold.

On the DP show a couple weeks ago, unprompted Palmer brought Allen's name up when Darnold to the Browns was referenced. You could call it salesmanship, but listen to the interview... he's genuinely excited... even saying that Darnold would be the clear #1 in any other draft, but not this one. Sounds like he almost gets coerced into coming back to talk about Darnold.

On Darnold's pro day, Palmer, at one point, says Darnold has probably about 20% less of the arm strength of his brother but about 20% more mobility. At another point in the interview he brings up how mobility is going to be necessary for Franchise QBs moving forward, but at the moments he talks about this in the interview, he's not bringing Darnold's name up. He also makes a point to bring up Allen's upcoming pro day in this interview.

As for Palmer's feelings solely about Darnold...

In other interviews like on the Rich Eisen show, for example, he just sounds so stoked about Allen.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-jordan-palmer-one-bills-live

Sorry if this was posted... I searched "Jordan Palmer wgr" and didn't find this

Interview from Palmer right after Allen was drafted

-Allen is so small town that his teammates are going to quickly become his family

-Allen's completion %, after watching the tape, should have been at least 4-6% higher... that he even reached 56% with all the factors working against him (protection, offensive weapons, guys open, dropped balls, etc) is amazing... Allen's significantly more accurate than his numbers imply.

-Incredible work ethic derived from being a farm boy... this is actually a really interesting part of the interview

-Raved as a unique QB, but Palmer used a combo of his brother, Big Ben and Deshaun Watson in comparison to the mould he might fit

-Incredible smarts. Palmer said his smarts/study habits were greater than Deshaun Watson, who he worked with last year. And he absolutely lauded Watson's smarts.

-Allen has only scratched the surface. 2 years of real college Football after being injured and out for a year after a JuCo after playing HS Football at a tiny little High School.

and a fun little tidbit...

- The funniest QB Palmer's been around... and he specifically brought up Fitzpatrick.

And on a sidenote... can we PLEASE friggin hire Palmer as our QB coach for continuity's sake?!

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ethos: Character and credibility, often inclusive of expertise and knowledge. (Thanks Aristotle :thumbsup:)

All in all, I have listened to Palmer talk about Allen and Watson and Darnold a good bit... he really seems genuinely excited about Allen in interviews I've watched and listened to, slightly less about Darnold.

On the DP show a couple weeks ago, unprompted Palmer brought Allen's name up when Darnold to the Browns was referenced. You could call it salesmanship, but listen to the interview... he's genuinely excited... even saying that Darnold would be the clear #1 in any other draft, but not this one. Sounds like he almost gets coerced into coming back to talk about Darnold.

On Darnold's pro day, Palmer, at one point, says Darnold has probably about 20% less of the arm strength of his brother but about 20% more mobility. At another point in the interview he brings up how mobility is going to be necessary for Franchise QBs moving forward, but at the moments he talks about this in the interview, he's not bringing Darnold's name up. He also makes a point to bring up Allen's upcoming pro day in this interview.

As for Palmer's feelings solely about Darnold...

In other interviews like on the Rich Eisen show, for example, he just sounds so stoked about Allen.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-27-jordan-palmer-one-bills-live

Sorry if this was posted... I searched "Jordan Palmer wgr" and didn't find this

Interview from Palmer right after Allen was drafted

-Allen is so small town that his teammates are going to quickly become his family

-Allen's completion %, after watching the tape, should have been at least 4-6% higher... that he even reached 56% with all the factors working against him (protection, offensive weapons, guys open, dropped balls, etc) is amazing... Allen's significantly more accurate than his numbers imply.

-Incredible work ethic derived from being a farm boy... this is actually a really interesting part of the interview

-Raved as a unique QB, but Palmer used a combo of his brother, Big Ben and Deshaun Watson in comparison to the mould he might fit

-Incredible smarts. Palmer said his smarts/study habits were greater than Deshaun Watson, who he worked with last year. And he absolutely lauded Watson's smarts.

-Allen has only scratched the surface. 2 years of real college Football after being injured and out for a year after a JuCo after playing HS Football at a tiny little High School.

and a fun little tidbit...

- The funniest QB Palmer's been around... and he specifically brought up Fitzpatrick.

And on a sidenote... can we PLEASE friggin hire Palmer as our QB coach for continuity's sake?!

It a big red flag when your coach takes the ball out of your hands during your senior season...