ESPN Insider: Anonymous Execs weigh in on Bills picks and QBs

33 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Rosen was impressive in the Cowherd interview though

i really think rosen turns a lot of people off by not being all about football all the time. it's as if he really likes football, and wants to be great at it, but it is not the all encompassing, be all, end all. i think that for him, it is a piece of his life, and not his whole life. i really believe that most football guys are going to want a guy that eats, breathes, and craps football. and i don't think that rosen it that guy. having said all that, i loved this kid and wanted the bills to grab him. but i am all aboard the josh allen train now!

Josh Allen's Pro Day Highlights

The Bills tested the bejeezus out of Josh Allen, and they think they've got their franchise guy.  They know a lot more about him than any media person or even the most ardent fan.  Weeks ago Josh said he loved Bills Mafia, and I thought that was pretty cool.  What I also thought was cool was his appearance on Josh Allen's Pro Day.  What an arm.  He will be our star for a long time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Biggest takeaways: 

1. There has to be something wrong with Rosen’s personality/character. Too many people don’t like the guy and in turn would pass on the player. 

2. Execs love the pick of Tremaine Edmunds and the fit in McDermott’s defense. 

Going into the draft, I was an "either Josh will make me happy," guy.  But I'm glad we picked Allen and not Rosen.  I like some cockiness and arrogance in a QB; I think it's necessary.  I think Mayfield has a great level of it and I think Allen's is there, but more quiet.  But Rosen ... I think his level of arrogance is over the top.  I think he's going to have a hard time in the locker room and gaining respect on the field.  If there was anyone whoever fit the, "I'm God's gift to the earth," mold, it is Rosen.  I'm not wishing failure on the kid.  But I think his ego will get the better of him.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

These guys sound like morons. Does anyone actually give a flip what kind of clothes Baker Mayfield wears? That factors in? Really?

no wonder these waterheads insist on anonymity.

Didnt people get like that with Mark Sanchez too? Or am imagining it

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

I thought so too, but at the same time he seemed to think he was above “the process”. The whole “you whine when people don’t give you squat, then you whine if I speak my truth” comes off as better than thou. Play the stinkin’ game if you’re smart. Cowherd got a kick out of it, but I can see how it would be off putting to many, and concern you as the face of the franchise.  

He was on a "patch up your image" interview tour. They crafted a bunch of answers (and likely submitted the questions to the interviewers). 

He is well spoken. He is smart. No surprise he can do some good last minute interviews.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

i always love the cold, snow, wind reasoning for picking a QBs. Let's look at those blustery game conditions last year: 

sept 10- 67*

sept 17- 87*

sept 24- 90*

oct 1- Dome

oct 8- 71*

oct 22- 79*

oct 29- 44*

nov 2- 71*

nov 12- 42*

nov 19- 73*

nov 26- 65*

dec 3- 47*

dec10- 29* (snow game!)

dec17- 25*

dec24- 49*

dec 31- 75*

playoff: 55*

You don't draft a guy based on his ability to play in cold weather, when two of your games are below freezing. 

Well Beane said that even if they played in a dome they still would have drafted Allen

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Pittsburgh Steelers

"I actually like Rudolph more than I like Josh Allen," this insider said. "Looking at the situation in Pittsburgh vs. the situation in Buffalo, I would almost bank on Rudolph's future more than Allen's future. Then, look at what the teams gave up to get a quarterback. The Jets are really happy Darnold was there for them, and it worked out great, and they need to be excited, but we cannot forget the No. 3 pick and three second-rounders they gave up to get him."

His brother [Tremaine, chosen 16th by the Bills] is going to be awesome for Buffalo.

I'm confused by this bit.  It reads as though Rudolph is Tremain Edmunds brother.  Was there another Edmunds in the draft and chosen by Pitts or ??

2 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

He was on a "patch up your image" interview tour. They crafted a bunch of answers (and likely submitted the questions to the interviewers). 

He is well spoken. He is smart. No surprise he can do some good last minute interviews.

Absolutely true, and at the same time, I still got a mixed message. 

59 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Rosen was impressive in the Cowherd interview though

Gotta take that with a grain of salt.  They are neighbors and with the bad press Colin was trying to give him a solid.  He wouldnt have treated Mayfield like that.

Edited by Mat68

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Biggest takeaways: 

1. There has to be something wrong with Rosen’s personality/character. Too many people don’t like the guy and in turn would pass on the player. 

I think that Badlands Meanie brought up some interesting points in another thread.  There is something going on here.

We have guys who got arrested, who were accused of various kinds of assault and arguably "shielded" by the hometown police and college shirking the investigation, guys who were accused of academic fraud and stealing, all that jive.  And yet I can't ever remember a fraction of the kerfluffle.

I'll put it out there, I think this is all a "dogwhistle" for the "F*ck (presidential candidate)" hat and the various strongly expressed views about college athletics.

I think NFL owners are scared to death Rosen will build a name for himself in the league and then become Kaepernick 2.0.

And they just might have a point, and there really isn't anything he could say to put them at ease on it.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Literally exactly what I have been saying about Rosen.  Nobody likes him.  I have said repeatedly he reminds of Jeff George and Jay Cutler with the body of Sam Bradford.  And here you have NFL execs making the exact same comparison. 

Yeah, so here's the paradox.  There have been plenty of QB who are arrogant a*holes.  Aaron Rodgers signed up for a couple years of hazing h*ll by walking up to meet Brett Favre for the first time and greeting him with "Hello, Grandpa!" (Seriously, Rodgers?  You called him "Grandpa" the first time you met?) You named 2 more.  Tom Brady isn't called "Tom Terrific" because he's beloved of all in the locker room, and Peyton Manning wasn't called "The Sherriff" because he was such a nice guy.

But can anyone recall a similar amount of kerfluffle about a guy's "likeability"?   That's what I thought, I can't either. 

It's not the QB job to be likeable, it's his job to play well and make the other team look like "fools with their pants on the ground".  Do that and your locker room charisma instantly elevates.

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Personality is my concern, but it took some time for the rough edges to wear off Jim Kelly too!

Rosen doesn't have rough edges like Kelly though, he has arrogant, obnoxious, entitled edges that rub people the wrong way. It would not surprise me if he gets Geno-ed by a teammate.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm confused by this bit.  It reads as though Rudolph is Tremain Edmunds brother.  Was there another Edmunds in the draft and chosen by Pitts or ??

Yes. Terrell at safety. First time ever two brothers have been drafted in the 1st round. Pretty cool

37 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

These guys sound like morons. Does anyone actually give a flip what kind of clothes Baker Mayfield wears? That factors in? Really?

no wonder these waterheads insist on anonymity.

21 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Didnt people get like that with Mark Sanchez too? Or am imagining it

All about Sanchez' clothes?  I don't remember that but maybe...good looking guy, liked to dress classy

Just now, CNY315 said:

Yes. Terrell at safety. First time ever two brothers have been drafted in the 1st round. Pretty cool

That is cool, thanks.  Did Pitt draft him?

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Rosen doesn't have rough edges like Kelly though, he has arrogant, obnoxious, entitled edges that rub people the wrong way. It would not surprise me if he gets Geno-ed by a teammate.

It would surprise me.  Also if Brady Quinn were to "take a poke at him" as the one exec irresponsibly suggested.

Rosen is not Geno Smith, your team's struggling 2nd round draft pick.  He's the guy your team just traded up in the first to draft.

Unless you're dumber than a can of dried latex, they all should be able to do that math.

And yeah, I seem to remember Kelly having some pretty arrogant, obnoxious entitled edges when he walked into the Buffalo locker room.

He was coming off 3 seasons earning big money for the time with the USFL and had just signed the biggest QB contract ever with the Bills.

He was marketed successfully as Mr Blue Collar Guy from PA, but he was far from those roots by 1986.

• Like (+1) 1

Living in Eugene and following Pac12 football, there were stories a few years ago about Rosen not being well liked. Long before this draft process and election cycle he had a rep as a douche in the Pac 12, as much as some like to think it, this is not something new made up for the draft or political atmosphere.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, so here's the paradox.  There have been plenty of QB who are arrogant a*holes.  Aaron Rodgers signed up for a couple years of hazing h*ll by walking up to meet Brett Favre for the first time and greeting him with "Hello, Grandpa!" (Seriously, Rodgers?  You called him "Grandpa" the first time you met?) You named 2 more.  Tom Brady isn't called "Tom Terrific" because he's beloved of all in the locker room, and Peyton Manning wasn't called "The Sherriff" because he was such a nice guy.

But can anyone recall a similar amount of kerfluffle about a guy's "likeability"?   That's what I thought, I can't either. 

It's not the QB job to be likeable, it's his job to play well and make the other team look like "fools with their pants on the ground".  Do that and your locker room charisma instantly elevates.

I get what you are saying...(capital words below to emphasize, not yell)

Except you are grossly inaccurate on the comparison of what Rosen's personality issues are and those other guys.  People don't like Rosen for different reasons than you listed.  

Rogers and Brady have the complete respect of those guys in the locker room and side line.  They earned it and they are true leaders.  They are confident, and they fight to win for the team.  

There is a MASSIVE difference in how Jeff George and Jay Cutler carry their "confidence" or "a-hole" traits as you put it than Rogers, Brady and Manning.  If you cant see that, then I don't know what to tell you.  Rosen doesn't make people think of how those big 3 HOF QB's lead...he makes them think of Cutler and George.  Thats the issue.  He very well might turn out to be great and get passed it.  But there is an ocean of difference in how he carries himself and how Rogers, Brady, and Manning do.  And thats why people are turned off by him, because they are not yet convinced he can lead a group of men out on the field.  

You can be a smart ass, you can be cocky, you can be even an a**hole...but if the guys on the field don't like you unanimously, you wont lead them anywhere.  And everyone seems to think he is a HARD guy to like...Brady, Rogers, and Manning are not hard guys to like.  

And the biggest issue, is how will Rosens fake tough guy attitude respond to adversity in the NFL?  He already failed miserably at his first shot in his post draft interview.  It was 100% ok to say 9 teams made a mistake...thats confidence, thats a chip, thats motivation...Great.  But to literally say you sulked, were mad, and tuned out when you didnt go top 3 (and he wasn't even expected to really go top 3) and claim you were going to FAKE SMILE when drafted because of it...thats a mentally weak, bruised ego, p*ssy thing to say.  That is 100% what people don't like about him...its all about him...its about what he looks like...its about his frail ego.  

Aaron Rogers went from being debated at #1 to falling all the way to the 20's to GB...did you seem him say he tuned out, had to fake a smile, or any of that BS?  Nope, because its a weak, whiny, bratty thing to do.  You just got chosen in the first round of the NFL draft and about to do what millions wish they could do and get paid a lot to do it.  But no, it was being pissy that he wasn't taken a handful picks later to the point he planned to FAKE A SMILE.  

I have ZERO issue with him saying 9 teams made a mistake and he will take it as motivation.  I have ZERO issue if he thinks he's the best QB or best player in the draft, hell I WANT my QB to think that.  Its another to be so butt hurt that you don't even expect to be happy to get drafted in the top 10 and feel you need to fake a smile when it happens.  

Especially considering just about anyone with any common sense knew he wasn't going top 3 in the first place.  Cle came down to Baker or Darnold...it was pretty clear NYG were taking Barkley, and Jets were certainly gonna take Darnold at 3.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Living in Eugene and following Pac12 football, there were stories a few years ago about Rosen not being well liked. Long before this draft process and election cycle he had a rep as a douche in the Pac 12, as much as some like to think it, this is not something new made up for the draft or political atmosphere.

I don't disbelieve you a bit.  My point is that plenty of other talented college QB have been arrogant douches, or arrested, or investigated for assault, or rumored to use drugs, or all kind of things that, IMHO, sound way more troubling than being a hard-working talented douche, yet (at least to my memory) their drafts and pre-drafts and post-drafts were relatively ripple-free relative to Rosen