Draft Analyst Joe Marino of FanRag Sports on Bills Draft, Allen

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

From earlier today on GR-55.

On Allen: 

"I had him as a third round pick, my 90th player on the board, so I was very much a Josh Allen skeptic and nothing's changed.  Two major concerns: processing skills/reading coverage and footwork skills impacting his accuracy.  Those are 2 areas of concern that not a lot of quarterbacks have had success overcoming."    

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/5-3-joe-marino-discusses-bills-and-nfl-draft-schopp-and-bulldog

FP-- I promise I will pray a novena in your honor if you are right and Josh is a bust.  I promise I will buy you a round or several if we ever meet if Josh is a bust.  I will write a post that states 100 times that we "Should have listened to Faidingpain and the others when they said Josh was a bust, they were, in fact, correct."

Can we settle it there?  I don't want to be Pollyanna or anything but I would like to bask in the glow and warmth of the fact that the Bills for the first time in their history invested a top 10 first round draft pick in a QB...just about exactly one week ago.  Just for a couple of months until he starts hitting the media tent or something at training camp...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Good.  I've obviously made it known that the Allen pick was ridiculous and the record is well established on where I stand.

When we are going through all this crap again in 2 or 3 years with a new regime at the helm, I'll remind everyone.

Don't you people want to get it right?  Or do you just try to make yourselves feel good? 

I guess this team is a religion for you, and faith is all you need.

:thumbdown:

Pointing out a few of Allen's debilitating flaws is not a "hot take".

It might not jive with what you hope Allen to be, but that really isn't relevant to the discussion on Allen as a draft pick.

Good lord , the ego on you...

look at the big brain on Brad!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I think theres no question there are red flags all over the place on this kid regarding his projection into the NFL. He is quite polarizing. However, at this point we already picked him, so lets just get on board the hype train and let it play out. 

I've been on the hype train with Losman and Manuel. Very skeptical about jumping on it again until I see something 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Could you name 3 please?  They don't exist.

Sure.   Pete Prisco (Allen #5, top QB on his last big board).

Mel Kiper (ditto).  And Mike Mayock (#2 QB after Darnold)

I'm not saying these guys are "all that and a bag of chips" for accuracy,  but they are "so called experts" who have more media buzz and probably better research than Joe Marino of Fanrag spots. 

To claim there are no experts who rated Allen highly is just weird

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sure.   Pete Prisco (Allen #5, top QB on his last big board).

Mel Kiper (ditto).  And Mike Mayock (#2 QB after Darnold)

I'm not saying these guys are "all that and a bag of chips" for accuracy,  but they are "so called experts" who have more media buzz and probably better research than Joe Marino of Fanrag spots. 

To claim there are no experts who rated Allen highly is just weird

How about Matt Miller?? Had him No. 3 on his board last January. Couldn’t find the original link but it’s there somewhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/q-a-with-bleacher-report-s-matt-miller-on-josh/article_57008365-f04b-5650-9bc1-c7ebcf17e2f9.amp.html

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Mel Kiper Jr

Mike Mayock

Chad Reuter

Nice avatar!  B-)

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Here is Joe Marino's final Big Board...

Had Darnold at 48 ..

At least he liked Tremaine at 3

https://www.ndtscouting.com/marino-2018-nfl-draft-big-board/..

Joe Marino is not exactly the Dan Marino of draft analysts.  Are we going to ignore the fact that he works for a second rate website like FanRag sports?

Edited by BuffaloRush

The problem with draft analysis is draft analysis. The internet has turned every loser in his mom's basement into a self proclaimed draft analyst. The internet gives everyone regardless of skills and qualifications a voice, this forum being a prime example, yours truly included. But I honesty, and this is not hyperbole, thought "WTF is Joe Marino?" I have honestly never heard of the guy, which could be on me. Then I see the website and ask "WTF is fanrag?" And so for me, I won't even read it or give it any credibility and I am an Allen skeptic myself. But when you grade the guy as a 3rd, you're a moron. I'm no expert and I've watched tape on this kid, he's not the 90th rated player in this draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Roethlisberger's credentials in every aspect, including coming out of high school,  blow Allens away. Except for size, there's no comparison.

the question was Prototypical size and cannon arm.
I answered. he has been successful  . there are more of course

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Good.  I've obviously made it known that the Allen pick was ridiculous and the record is well established on where I stand.

When we are going through all this crap again in 2 or 3 years with a new regime at the helm, I'll remind everyone.

Don't you people want to get it right?  Or do you just try to make yourselves feel good? 

I guess this team is a religion for you, and faith is all you need.

:thumbdown:

Of course I want to get it right. I get it man. I was all in on Darnold and Rosen, and was upset when Allen's name was called. But what can I do? They didn't ask me before they picked him. If Allen fails, I doubt they will ask me before they pick the next QB. 

So I'll just go along for the ride like I always do. But in the mean time... 

I like having hope. 

I am not just just going to assume that Allen is already a bust before he's even thrown a single pass in a Bills uniform, and be miserable for the next few years. That seems absolutely pointless to me. Instead, I am going to try my best to find reasons to be hopeful until proven otherwise. 

But that's just me. I choose to be positive until given very good reason to be negative. And if/when that negative thing happens I'll get over it and try to find more reasons to be positive again. 

It has nothing to do with blind faith and treating the Bills like a religion. It has to do with not wanting to be a constantly negative and misaeable person (not saying you are). And it has to do with wanting to be hopeful for my hometown team that I love. What's the point in even being a sports fan if you can't have hope? 

We dont control any of this stuff. We are just fans. 

Me personally, I'd rather try to find the good things about Allen and try to spread hope to my fellow Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If you have "obviously made it known" and the record on where you stand is "well established," then wouldn't you agree anything from here on out is pretty much crusading?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Of course I want to get it right. I get it man. I was all in on Darnold and Rosen, and was upset when Allen's name was called. But what can I do? They didn't ask me before they picked him. If Allen fails, I doubt they will ask me before they pick the next QB. 

So I'll just go along for the ride like I always do. But in the mean time... 

I like having hope. 

I am not just just going to assume that Allen is already a bust before he's even thrown a single pass in a Bills uniform, and be miserable for the next few years. That seems absolutely pointless to me. Instead, I am going to try my best to find reasons to be hopeful until proven otherwise. 

But that's just me. I choose to be positive until given very good reason to be negative. And if/when that negative thing happens I'll get over it and try to find more reasons to be positive again. 

It has nothing to do with blind faith and treating the Bills like a religion. It has to do with not wanting to be a constantly negative and misaeable person (not saying you are). And it has to do with wanting to be hopeful for my hometown team that I love. What's the point in even being a sports fan if you can't have hope? 

We dont control any of this stuff. We are just fans. 

Me personally, I'd rather try to find the good things about Allen and try to spread hope to my fellow Bills fans. 

+1

And unlike any of the recent GM/HC combos we've seen, I have no doubt that if Allen doesn't deliver something tangible by the end of the season, McBeane will trade him for a 5th and work on moving up to take a QB next year.  So just sit back and trust the process.  There really is no alternative.