Matt Ryan Signs 5-Year Contract Extension at $30M per Season with $100M Guaranteed

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Josh Allen's 4 year contract is 21 million total.  I think some teams are realizing the huge gap between rookie QB and even a journeyman type QB.

More and more teams are trading up to get a rookie.

You could make an argument that it is smarter to draft another QB in the 1st IF your rookie isn't looking as good as you hoped in 3 years.

When a team pulls the trigger on resigning a QB they better be right or you end up with a "Tannehill" situation.

Star qb on a rookie deal is obviously ideal, followed by paying the big contract to a guy that is roughly top quarter of the league.

after that I think there’s a strong case that if you have $30m/yr and a decent first round pick to invest in your offense you are better off with the rookie qb(5m and 1st), and a star rb ($10m)and wr (15m)

conpared to giving a dalton/tannehill type 20+ and having the other two be a decent draft pick and mediocre vet at $5m

all napkin math to make a point but even if the qb is junk you probably darn near break even between the scenarios and if he’s good you are an immediate contender 

25 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Star qb on a rookie deal is obviously ideal, followed by paying the big contract to a guy that is roughly top quarter of the league.

after that I think there’s a strong case that if you have $30m/yr and a decent first round pick to invest in your offense you are better off with the rookie qb(5m and 1st), and a star rb ($10m)and wr (15m)

conpared to giving a dalton/tannehill type 20+ and having the other two be a decent draft pick and mediocre vet at $5m

all napkin math to make a point but even if the qb is junk you probably darn near break even between the scenarios and if he’s good you are an immediate contender 

Absolutely.  Of course what we are saying is a generality but let's look at JAX for an example.

2016 they are 3-13.  Bortles at QB (not doing very well at all).

JAX gets the 4th overall pick in the 2017 draft.

They pick Leonard Fournette, passing on both Mahomes and Watson.

2017 JAX has a great year but is it because of Bortles?

2018 JAX extends Bortles contract, have Fournette and are in big cap problems for 2019 (-35 million).

2018 Alternate deal is they got Watson (let Bortles go to FA) no Fournette and no cap issues in 2019.

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Josh Allen's 4 year contract is 21 million total.  I think some teams are realizing the huge gap between rookie QB and even a journeyman type QB.

More and more teams are trading up to get a rookie.

You could make an argument that it is smarter to draft another QB in the 1st IF your rookie isn't looking as good as you hoped in 3 years.

When a team pulls the trigger on resigning a QB they better be right or you end up with a "Tannehill" situation.

The reason it is smart to trade up back into the 1st or take a QB in the 1st is you have 5 years of cost control 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Absolutely.  Of course what we are saying is a generality but let's look at JAX for an example.

2016 they are 3-13.  Bortles at QB (not doing very well at all).

JAX gets the 4th overall pick in the 2017 draft.

They pick Leonard Fournette, passing on both Mahomes and Watson.

2017 JAX has a great year but is it because of Bortles?

2018 JAX extends Bortles contract, have Fournette and are in big cap problems for 2019 (-35 million).

2018 Alternate deal is they got Watson (let Bortles go to FA) no Fournette and no cap issues in 2019.

But hindsight is 20/20, and nobody really knows how these things will play out.

Bortles had a pretty solid year, but who knows if Watson would've done the same thing for them. Hell, even if he would be the same player no matter where he played, many teams didn't predict that. Some teams always look brilliant, while others walk away with egg on their face.

Hell, the Steelers could come out looking like geniuses if Ben goes down with an injury for a few games this year (seems like he's out a couple games every season), and Rudolph lights it up while the "big 4" fail. Everyone will think they knew something nobody else did, and fans will be asking why their team didn't draft the guy. It's just hard to know year to year what will happen.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:59 AM, Limeaid said:

They always have .. under the table.

I've always assumed there's some handshake on a post-retirement 'good will ambassador' job for life that will make up for the amount they cheated on the cap.

My how times have changed ...

Kelly, the former General and the most acclaimed quarterback in the moribund United States Football League, became the richest player in N.F.L. history by signing a five-year deal worth $7.5 million.

now this

The Titans re-signed Ryan Succop to the second-largest deal for a kicker in NFL history.  Succop signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension to remain in Tennessee, with $7.25 million guaranteed. He'll make $8.25 million over the first two years.

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I've always assumed there's some handshake on a post-retirement 'good will ambassador' job for life that will make up for the amount they cheated on the cap.

I've always assumed there's some handshake deal to redirect business to him while he is playing which is why he is unhappy his personal fitness guru no longer allowed on field and why there has been talk on him wanting a higher paying deal.

A friend showed up at work with a pic of him and Matt Ryan at a pub. He just ran into him but he was very nice, happy to do the pic.  Everyone bought their own drinks....

On 5/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, Fadingpain said:

You would think the NFLPA would try to alter this trend.  It's great for the QBs, but soon, the pay disbursal of an NFL team is going to be all the money to 3-5 guys, and everyone else in the league making nothing.

They predicted that as the end outcome of the cap back when it was instituted. 

The NFLPA is pointless and the idiot in charge doesn't work for all players, he works for the very top like a secondary agent. The rank and file guys have bought into his crap so they'll get thrashed in another CBA again like the last time when he promised to sue to get all the things they didn't negotiate into the CBA then lost every suit.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, Buffalo03 said:

There needs to be a cap on how much QBs can make. This is getting out of hand. This guy hasn't even won a Super Bowl

So.. he's an MVP. And he pretty much did if there were not a bad OC.

Worth every dime. Honestly if we don't pay top dollar for an MVP QB than we are dumb as dirt.

Oh wait, we are.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Just throwing this out there: if all contracts were guaranteed, wouldn't a lot of players take less? I mean, if you told a star receiver coming out of college that you'd give him 100 mil guaranteed for 10 years ( obviously the current system would have to be changed), he'd be crazy not to take it. The owners would be rolling the dice, but they can afford to gamble. Perhaps a team should be able to remove salary against the cap if a career ends due to injury before the contract expires. Just thinking. 

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So.. he's an MVP. And he pretty much did if there were not a bad OC.

Worth every dime. Honestly if we don't pay top dollar for an MVP QB than we are dumb as dirt.

Oh wait, we are.

I just don't think one player should take up that much of a salary. It destroys the salary cap. You could have the QB but if you can't afford the other pieces around him, it won't do any good

19 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I just don't think one player should take up that much of a salary. It destroys the salary cap. You could have the QB but if you can't afford the other pieces around him, it won't do any good

It definitely does, and matt Ryan has to pull some Russell Wilson football if he is going to carry his team. I'm sure Julio Jones gets an absurd amount too, and don't think matt would look half as  good without him. But there's no contingency plan. They found themselves and MVP QB and arguably the best receiver and their hand is forced. They know where their bread is buttered and it just has to be an aggressive passing offense.

To your point it's difficult to find a sweet spot. Wilson blew up his team and has had to live with it. Granted he's the best at being a winning QB with little to work with (like tyrod x1000).. not the best QB though.

I think a Dak Prescott is the sweet spot, could see him making 15 mil if he inks after his rookie deal. Good quarterback that simply will never command a huge amount of money. Your team kind of morphs itself into an identity when players exceed expectations and you just have to roll with it. 

I personally want to see the bills throw money in this secondary.. that's our identity. Every team finds it's best unit and runs with it. Rookies and fillers everywhere else. I'm hard pressed to find a truly balanced team. But i'd say the Panthers probably fit that bill.. and it's not exactly a great strategy.

I'd definitely take this deal over Kirk cousins. Good lord, case keenum was a cap godsend and they blew it up.