How Did Beane and McDermott “Drain The Swamp” At One Bills Drive So Quickly?

New ownership that doesnt turn a blind eye to ineptitude?

They were bound to make some mistakes as they navigated the waters early on, sure. 

However, at least on the Bills side of things, they appear to have learned a bit more, and when they went with McDermott they really hit it out of the park.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

But as he said. it IS unusual for Buffalo.

Also it is next to unheard of in the entire NFL for a rookie head coach to come in and do all of that.

Rookie coach comes in, fires the GM (in essence). Can you think of a single example of that ever having happened on any team at any time?

If not, why are you in here saying it is noraml?

I mean, McDermott basically ran the show from day one. Almost felt bad for Whaley cause the guy was meddling in limbo with the writing on the wall.

But McDermott basically handled Tyrod's contract, the draft, the bringing in of Beane, etc...

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You have had a GM continuum for quite a long time in Buffalo that ended with Beane being hired as a total outsider to work with McDermott.  That's why there has been such a purge and again I find nothing jaw dropping or amazing about it. Standard NFL fare. 

Find me an NFL team that has three people working in the building, on payroll, who all have (at one time or another) held the title (or some approximation thereof, as the case may be) of General Manager. 

That's what we had with Russ, Nix, and Whaley on staff when McD was hired.

That is unusual, and that is what McD (or Pegula, however that worked out) fought to end.  

Edited by whatdrought

Whenever my company "takes over" another company,  we tend to keep most of the staff until 1 we understand the culture and what makes it click 2 identify who the "healthy" movers and shakers are and 3 how it will manage the bottom line. There have been situations we have kept all the staff and just added more and other times it was a major overhaul.  Terry and Kim are not looking at this as a money making venture but rather a successful winning one.  It takes more time to develop for the long haul vs faster profit.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Scouting staffs usually follow the GM’s.  What is rare is how McDermott was able to get rid of staff who either outranked him or were completely lateral.  Marrone and Rex were both unable to do this.   It’s also rare how Beane was able to get rid on long time staffers who were thought of to be “untouchable”

Whaley screwed himself with embarrassing public press conferences in 2016 after Rex was fired and the Pegulas were ready to move on.  Once McDermott was hired the writing was on the wall with Whaley muzzled.  Beane was hired to work closely with McDermott in a totally new football department.  Changes over the course of the past year were expected with nothing unusual about it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whaley screwed himself with embarrassing public press conferences in 2016 after Rex was fired and the Pegulas were ready to move on.  Once McDermott was hired the writing was on the wall with Whaley muzzled.  Beane was hired to work closely with McDermott in a totally new football department.  Changes over the course of the past year were expected with nothing unusual about it.

Agree to  a point but 2 basically rooks coming in and having that much influence.....actually pretty cool.  Obviously McD had a plan, sold his plan and gold plated his plan.  Hence a total makeover of some people who were at one point untouchable.  The Bills were fortunate to have hired McD.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

One of the most remarkable things about the hiring of McDermott and Beane (to a lesser extent) is how they have eesentiallu completely turned over the entire organization and the football roster as well.

I just see it as a strong-willed HC molding an organization to his liking by taking advantage of having ownership more than willing to delegate that authority to him.   Whaley was not a strong personality and McD initially stepped into that vacuum, then brought in his buddy Beane to solidify his position.   

Terry has said in the past that all he knows how to do is drill holes in the ground.   McBeane is the jelly to that peanut butter...

Edited by Lurker

20 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

New ownership that doesnt turn a blind eye to ineptitude?

They were bound to make some mistakes as they navigated the waters early on, sure. 

However, at least on the Bills side of things, they appear to have learned a bit more, and when they went with McDermott they really hit it out of the park.

I mean, McDermott basically ran the show from day one. Almost felt bad for Whaley cause the guy was meddling in limbo with the writing on the wall.

But McDermott basically handled Tyrod's contract, the draft, the bringing in of Beane, etc...

He did. He worries me a bit because he looks worn down and on edge. I hope he gets in a nice 2 week vacation somewhere far away.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

thats what happens when a franchise is on moth balls for 20 years and someone comes in, throws the curtains aside and opens a window to the outside world.

lack of "continuity", bad luck, Patriots, etc did not cause the drought.  Buffalo Bills "management" did.

this

Pegula's alone drained the swamp IMO.... It was their confidnece in Beane that allowed them to do it, and only after they had plenty of time to assess all thie issues and feel they had th eright parts in place ot move forward with

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really?  How often does the head coach come in an get the GM and long time PR rep (who some believe was behind the leaks to the media) fired within the span of months.  That so unprecedented as I stated

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Really?  How often does the head coach come in an get the GM and long time PR rep (who some believe was behind the leaks to the media) fired within the span of months.  That so unprecedented as I stated

Whaley injured himself (He wasn't hired by the Pegulas) and McDermott won the Pegulas' confidence.  Not so amazing when you have the ear of the owners.  Jaw dropping for you, then okay. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

From my view, the humiliating 2 month span between the Pittsburgh game that it was leaked that rex would be gone, through the trainwreck press conferences on Anthony Lynn and Doug whaley sealed berchtoldt's fate.

Where did you get that a McDermott had a say in the firings of Bills  organizational management?   Was this made up by you?

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Results give you credibility 

This.

None of those folks on the OP list got us to the playoffs. McBeane did. Now the Pegs are feeling secure throwing their eggs in what they surely believe is a sturdy basket.

I believe tue Pegs want a long tenure coach. Even if he's not the greatest coach in the league, ala Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis, I truly think they get a very long grace period (4 or more years imo), and even moderate success will keep them around for twice that long.

And it's about freakin' time.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

From my view, the humiliating 2 month span between the Pittsburgh game that it was leaked that rex would be gone, through the trainwreck press conferences on Anthony Lynn and Doug whaley sealed berchtoldt's fate.

Exactly. Both were a direct reflection on his work. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whaley injured himself and McDermott won the Pegulas' confidence.  Not so amazing when you have the ear of the owners.  Jaw dropping for you, then okay. 

Except it is rare...find me one example where a HC came in and got his GM fired within month?  Gruden couldn’t even do that in Oakland, even though he’s essentially coach and GM.  

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Except it is rare...find me one example where a HC came in and got his GM fired within month?  Gruden couldn’t even do that in Oakland, even though he’s essentially coach and GM.  

The GM got himself fired.

• Like (+1) 1