How Did Beane and McDermott “Drain The Swamp” At One Bills Drive So Quickly?

One of the most remarkable things about the hiring of McDermott and Beane (to a lesser extent) is how they have eesentiallu completely turned over the entire organization and the football roster as well.

if you recall in 2014, when Terry Pegula bought the team very little changed.  Russ was moved to President as PSE but the overall structure seemed very similar (one exception was Rex reporting to TP and not the GM).  Essentially the same decision makers who “tarnished the brand” for year were still employed and in power to make questionable decision.

Cut to 2017, when McDermott was hired he immediately made big changes by firing the following long-time employees

PR Scott Berchtold (still a “consultant” but powerless”)

GM Doug Whaley 

Jim Monos (Director of Pro Personnel

Buddy Nix (Still was working as a scout)

Whaley’s Entire Scouting Dept

James Trapp (Chaplan)

Paul Lancaster (Director of Engagement)

Michael Lyons (Director of Analytics)

Entire Analytics Staff

Bud Carpenter (Trainer)

Shone Gibson (Trainer)

This leaves Jim Overdorff as really the last connection to Ralph Wilson.

So here is my question - how did McDermott do it?  It just seems unprecedented that someone could come in an clean house within the span of year - nonetheless a coach and GM.

I remember hearing that Marrone was not happy with some of these people and yet he was not successful at getting any of them fired.  He had problems with Whaley but Terry elected to keep him.  I guess what I’m wondering is why was McDermott and Beane able to drain the swamp, whereas Marrone was not able.  

It seemed as though the Pegula’s were pretty happy with their staff and yet within a year everyone was fired.  

How do you think this went down behind the scenes?

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 2

I agree with 26. But, when Pegula’s originally purchased the team, they specifically stated they were going to leave things as they were, admitting that they were ‘green’. Understandable but, not so shockingly, led to the same result on the field. 

When McD was hired, I believe they had realized that a complete overhaul was needed and that this included culture. Ridding an organization of people is one way to very clearly let people know that a new sheriff is in town and they have McD the power to do it. 

I, for one, am glad they came to the realization. 

• Like (+1) 2

thats what happens when a franchise is on moth balls for 20 years and someone comes in, throws the curtains aside and opens a window to the outside world.

lack of "continuity", bad luck, Patriots, etc did not cause the drought.  Buffalo Bills "management" did.

• Like (+1) 8

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is this something unusual when a team hires a new coach and GM?  No. 

Agree CB. 

My speculation...McD showed the Pegulas a plan to transition leadership in the administration, personnel, player and coaching side.  They liked the plan and gave him the direct pipeline but they wanted to be kept informed.  This would be a normal transition.  Whaley, Berchtold, etc were all as good as gone the day he walked in...but you don't fire the personnel staff in January when they have all the draft information.  

McD built his coaching staff and looked at the other parts of the organization including the players.  He found that the loser mentality permeated parts of the organization he didn't anticipate, but he wanted a second set of eyes that he trusted to evaluate players, personnel and administration.  Enter his hand picked GM - Brandon Beane.  Beane worked on his staff first, then reviewed McD's assessment of players...Watson (low effort diva); Darby (not a fit for the hard nosed cover corner); Dareus (keep him but get rid of him if his attitude starts to go south) --then together they started to work the plan.  They were patient and open-minded but once a decision was made they acted quickly with Terry's full support.

Brandon's public persona of a slick, fast talking, marketing deal maker just wasn't ever going to fit McDermott's style.  I speculate that the reported rift was over Watkins -- Russ saying -- no way he's all we've got to market and he's all over our electronic and print materials and McDermott saying that's no longer how we make decisions and by the way get out of my face...this is a football team not a promotions event. 

Just speculating -- but I think this is probably a bit more than normal new coach turnover but clearly shows McDermott and Beane are in charge.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

Easy.   When he interviewed with the Pegulas he mapped out his path to success in great detail, i'm 100% sure a big part of that was jettisoning all those people and hitting the reset button.  The Pegulas agreed and the rest is history. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I agree with 26. But, when Pegula’s originally purchased the team, they specifically stated they were going to leave things as they were, admitting that they were ‘green’. Understandable but, not so shockingly, led to the same result on the field. 

When McD was hired, I believe they had realized that a complete overhaul was needed and that this included culture. Ridding an organization of people is one way to very clearly let people know that a new sheriff is in town and they have McD the power to do it. 

I, for one, am glad they came to the realization. 

Thank you - this is my point as well.  It is common for changes when you bring in a new GM to run the organization but many of these changes were made before Beane was hired.  

Essentially McDermott got Terry to fire people who were either above him (Whaley) or those who were on a lateral level that reported to Terry directly (Berchtold).

Then there is Beane who was able to get rid of some of the long time mainstays (Carpenter) and some of the people that Russ put in place (Lyons).  

How did did they convince Terry?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Standard fare across the NFL and certainly nothing amazing about it with a new GM/Coach tandem in place. 

Right, and it always should have been done when the regimes changed. But what we're talking about here is a team that was holding onto a failed GM from a decade ago who somehow weathered countless regime changes and an ownership change. 

I think the OPs point is that, for the first time in a d**n long time, Buffalo is actually starting to function like an NFL team. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, whatdrought said:

Right, and it always should have been done when the regimes changed. But what we're talking about here is a team that was holding onto a failed GM from a decade ago who somehow weathered countless regime changes and an ownership change. 

I think the OPs point is that, for the first time in a d**n long time, Buffalo is actually starting to function like an NFL team. 

They essentially did that when the previous GM and scouting staff were let go after the 2017 draft with Beane subsequently hired.  All of a sudden it's a revelation? 

honestly, this was something I was expecting once the Pegulas took ownership of the team. Basically bring in all their own people. I bet in hindsight that is exactly what they would have done instead of keeping everyone and hiring Rex.

McBeane are going to be made men if Allen turns out to be even average - and someone who can win games with the help of a strong D. Their leash is may be even 4 years long now.

Interesting that Overdorf is still on board. For all of the flack many give him, he must be super at his job as the cap expert. Beane said they meshed immediately. I guess we can't fault JO for all the bad contracts Whaley drew up. Maybe he's just the pencil pusher to get them hammered out and signed with the agents.

Edited by HansLanda

They essentially did that when the previous GM and scouting staff were let go after the 2017 draft with Beane subsequently hired.  All of a sudden it's a revelation? 

Right... Which is when McD took over... I am missing your point. 

I think (and I could be wrong) that OP is pointing to the fact that in a little over a year, since the introduction of McD (and subsequently Beane) a whole lot of "fat" has been cut off of this team at every level. 

This is obviously highlighted this week because of the development with Russ who seems to have been the Rasputin of OBD (or some other character with lots of power that leaves you scratching your head) 

The point is, this is not normal for what Buffalo has been since 1999 (maybe even further back) and it is refreshing to see a wave of rejuvenation and re-invention that is evident in the business side, and the football side. 

Scouting staffs usually follow the GM’s.  What is rare is how McDermott was able to get rid of staff who either outranked him or were completely lateral.  Marrone and Rex were both unable to do this.   It’s also rare how Beane was able to get rid on long time staffers who were thought of to be “untouchable”

Just now, whatdrought said:

Right... Which is when McD took over... I am missing your point. 

I think (and I could be wrong) that OP is pointing to the fact that in a little over a year, since the introduction of McD (and subsequently Beane) a whole lot of "fat" has been cut off of this team at every level. 

This is obviously highlighted this week because of the development with Russ who seems to have been the Rasputin of OBD (or some other character with lots of power that leaves you scratching your head) 

The point is, this is not normal for what Buffalo has been since 1999 (maybe even further back) and it is refreshing to see a wave of rejuvenation and re-invention that is evident in the business side, and the football side. 

You have had a GM continuum for quite a long time in Buffalo that ended with Beane being hired as a total outsider to work with McDermott.  That's why there has been such a purge and again I find nothing jaw dropping or amazing about it. Standard NFL fare. 

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Standard fare across the NFL and certainly nothing amazing about it with a new GM/Coach tandem in place. 

But as he said. it IS unusual for Buffalo.

Also it is next to unheard of in the entire NFL for a rookie head coach to come in and do all of that.

Rookie coach comes in, fires the GM (in essence). Can you think of a single example of that ever having happened on any team at any time?

If not, why are you in here saying it is normal?

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 3