1983 Bills vs Dolphins

Great game I just watched bits and pieces on YouTube.  I posted below I'd anyone's interested.  

Two things that struck watching this replay versus today's game is there is no score on the screen always.  You'd have to wait like 5 or 10 minutes to get the score if you tuned in late.  Also 35 yard field goals then were not considered automatic.  Kickers then couldn't come close to Hauska's leg strength.

The Dolphins were 12-4 that year as well.  Here's too hoping 30 years from now someone will be posting the Patriots MNF game this year in the same positive light

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Cribbs could have been in the Hall of Fame is he did not play in the USFL.  

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Absolute stud

I just don't think those who weren't around to see him play can properly appreciate how good of a rusher and receiver he really was.

it's also not just the years he missed in the USFL, but the consistency to further hone his craft during those years.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Smerlas was in this game, but no Jim Haslett or Shane Nelson.  Bermuda Triangle must have been prior to 83.

Quick check - Nelson only played thru 82, and Haslet was on the team but does seem to have played much in 83, assuming he was injured.

8 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Joe Ferguson will always be my favorite football player. 

Big Ferrgie fan, but I despised him hanging his head coming off the field.

The kids of today would consider that a cutting offense.

It was a whole different game back then. The league didn’t have to keep the fans interested through scoring. The generation after us was the video game generation.

Got to see all memorable games,except comeback game.

I had seats on the Bills side right on the 50 yard line 15 rows up. I bought them in the late 70s, when attendance wasn’t very good. Had them for 30 years until My family and I decided to hang out in Florida through most of football season.

Edited by dlonce
  • Like (+1) 2

It's crazy to think Marino could have been our QB in this game and if anything would have been different if he had been our QB for nearly two decades. I don't think we would have went to four Super Bowls but I think we could have went to one or two. Although, if we had Marino, we would never have had the K-Gun which is what made our offense so dynamic to getting to those Super Bowls

Edited by Buffalo03

That '83 team was an enigma, wrapped in a riddle.  Got off to a good start, only to drop a bomb at home against the Jets on MNF.  They were 7-4 at one point but lost four our of their last five to fall out of playoff contention.  All the main parts, save for coach Chuck Knox, remained from the 1980-81 playoff teams, but they just couldn't get over the hump.  By the next season, they fell to 2-14 with a similar disaster to follow in 1985.  By '86, their savior had arrived and things began to turn upward.  

9 hours ago, dezertbill said:

Watching games back then was so different.  The games seemed so much bigger.   Listening to Van was also a trip.  You could hear the AM radio buzz.

the Golden Era of your sports watching life is when you were 11.

That was 1977 for me.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's crazy to think Marino could have been our QB in this game and if anything would have been different if he had been our QB for nearly two decades. I don't think we would have went to four Super Bowls but I think we could have went to one or two. Although, if we had Marino, we would never have had the K-Gun which is what made our offense so dynamic to getting to those Super Bowls

We not only would have gone to Super Bowls we would have won them. It's not a popular opinion especially considering Kelly's health but Marino was better.