Is Kim qualified?

On 5/2/2018 at 5:40 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News said other ex-player hockey presidents were "laughing" at Kim Pegula's promotion. Well Russ was equally qualified to be a hockey president as Kim.

Not really.  At least Russ had a lot of experience as a president of a team in a sport much bigger than hockey in the US before becoming president of the Sabres.

18 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Not really.  At least Russ had a lot of experience as a president of a team in a sport much bigger than hockey in the US before becoming president of the Sabres.

The "laughter" was supposedly due to a lack of hockey experience, so Kim and Russ are at the same level there.

8 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Some people need a microscope for their most personal appendage...

I was speaking in general terms regarding what is endemic on these pages......

And i am a bit too loose with my comments.
really take life more seriously at my age..

On 5/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not necessarily.  You could distribute the work differently, for example - hand off some projects that were in your control (which means people 2 levels down are doing more), or hire a new person 2 levels down to take on some extra projects.

I am currently reading a book about Organizational change. Going to six sigma by a fellow who worked for Cummins.

The subject is really how to drive long term change and how to trickle it down. How to manage it measure it and adjust as you go.
Can Imagine the New message has already been conveyed across to all affected parties from top to bottom, and what roles they play. How they will achieve the larger concept via many underlying projects.

I am sure, quite sure tha Terry and Kim Pegula have long term vision for their New Kingdom ; )
And Beane and McD have theirs for the Buffalo Bills.

She just needs to keep everyone on task via short term accomplishments combined over the next 5- 10 years to repair/ rebuild the Foundation of Buffalo sports. Bills are my focus.

Wishing and them great success ! 0:):D

It's for the good of everyone to show patience and " trust the Process " . :P

so to your point Hap, yes I agree. They will figure it out.

Go Bills !!

32 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'm guessing she's been looking over Russ Brandon's shoulder for a while now. She has the easy job. Beating the other 31 teams to the Lombardi Trophy is the hard part.

I can imagine they have been quite attentive to details through out the their " regime" 

Its having an effective plan in place for the change that takes so much time.

I read a transcript of Business Model that was proof of a method.

Surround your self with Professionals smarter than you. And be one hell of a good judge of character and reading the interactions of teams.

Kim can likely do that. 

Terry is too mushy. he probably likes Math equations  :P

• 3 weeks later...

Kim Pegula says she stepped in as Bills, Sabres president to bring stability

ATLANTA — Before Kim Pegula assumed the role of president of the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and three other professional sports franchises under the Pegula Sports & Entertainment umbrella, she and her co-owner husband, Terry, considered their options.

One was to hire someone to replace Russ Brandon, who resigned as the company’s managing partner and president on May 1 for what The Buffalo News has reported was due to workplace and personal misconduct. Another was for Kim to carry the title on an interim basis until a full-time replacement was found.

In the end, they decided their flagship sports properties, the Bills and Sabres, had already experienced enough upheaval and they didn’t want to create more by bringing in a new person to head their business operations.

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Kim Pegula says she stepped in as Bills, Sabres president to bring stability

ATLANTA — Before Kim Pegula assumed the role of president of the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and three other professional sports franchises under the Pegula Sports & Entertainment umbrella, she and her co-owner husband, Terry, considered their options.

One was to hire someone to replace Russ Brandon, who resigned as the company’s managing partner and president on May 1 for what The Buffalo News has reported was due to workplace and personal misconduct. Another was for Kim to carry the title on an interim basis until a full-time replacement was found.

In the end, they decided their flagship sports properties, the Bills and Sabres, had already experienced enough upheaval and they didn’t want to create more by bringing in a new person to head their business operations.

...the Brandon underlings are being retained and will carry the "heavy lifting" for Kim until she gets fully up to speed......when they purchased the club, she initiated a top to bottom review of all departments, personnel and job description functions which got scrapped with the Marrone exodus..the had to keep Brandon and Whaley who were under contract to maintain some organizational stability....Terry referred to the Bills in the Inner Circle as "HER baby"....so I wouldn't underestimate her ongoing understudy to become very knowledgeable in all Bills operations....Terry's "czar push" was to find a Polian like person to actually groom her to become President......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the Brandon underlings are being retained and will carry the "heavy lifting" for Kim until she gets fully up to speed......when they purchased the club, she initiated a top to bottom review of all departments, personnel and job description functions which got scrapped with the Marrone exodus..the had to keep Brandon and Whaley who were under contract to maintain some organizational stability....Terry referred to the Bills in the Inner Circle as "HER baby"....so I wouldn't underestimate her ongoing understudy to become very knowledgeable in all Bills operations....Terry's "czar push" was to find a Polian like person to actually groom her to become President......

They have people in place capable of handling the job. Polian was to stabilize the football department. There was no turmoil on the business side (which is what a team president oversees). Russ was good at his job just not good in the me too era. There are people in place (like Bruce Popko) whose name you’ll start to see. They are the ones doing the work, Kim is the one relaying the message. To be very clear though, Kim is learning from Popko & company not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, nucci said:

The NFL sells itself...let your football people do their jobs, put a winning team on the field and try to make the game day experience fun....

You said it all man......... Whats your name man?....   Forrest Gump!!! For real though,  this stuff gets way too over complicated around here.  Just build the teams right...... Forget the billboards,  the cheesy season ticket slogans,  etc...... Just do it right and they will come........ Its not hard people

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

You said it all man......... Whats your name man?....   Forrest Gump!!! For real though,  this stuff gets way too over complicated around here.  Just build the teams right...... Forget the billboards,  the cheesy season ticket slogans,  etc...... Just do it right and they will come........ Its not hard people

It’s actually a zillion times harder than that. You don’t think every team just says, “let’s just win this year and we are fine?” That’s an awful business strategy. There are 32 teams and that will always be somewhat cyclical (the Patriots are an obvious outlier). You have to build a business model and plan that is sustainable whether you are 14-2 or 2-14. Your budget is what it is regardless of your record. Obviously winning helps you achieve those numbers but there is not one team, in any level of professional sports, that’s business model is “let’s win and it will be okay.”

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They have people in place capable of handling the job. Polian was to stabilize the football department. There was no turmoil on the business side (which is what a team president oversees). Russ was good at his job just not good in the me too era. There are people in place (like Bruce Popko) whose name you’ll start to see. They are the ones doing the work, Kim is the one relaying the message. To be very clear though, Kim is learning from Popko & company not the other way around.

...yes they do and they are assuming bigger responsibilities under Kim.....sorry but Polian was also to be charged with grooming Kim to be President/Administrator of the organization, which may be a very fine line of disagreement...today there is FAR greater/superior organizational stability IMO versus when RW went into panic mode after firing Donohole, followed by "re-tiring" Marv and putting Brandon in positions woefully unqualified for....similar upheaval was with Marrone's exodus....overall, I'd bet today's organization can seamlessly overcome the Brandon exodus without missing a beat.....just my opinion.......

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s actually a zillion times harder than that. You don’t think every team just says, “let’s just win this year and we are fine?” That’s an awful business strategy. There are 32 teams and that will always be somewhat cyclical (the Patriots are an obvious outlier). You have to build a business model and plan that is sustainable whether you are 14-2 or 2-14. Your budget is what it is regardless of your record. Obviously winning helps you achieve those numbers but there is not one team, in any level of professional sports, that’s business model is “let’s win and it will be okay.”

Its not just a lets win this year thing....... Are they really thinking its a sure thing they are winning now??? But in this particular region just showing commitment to building the right way is more than the usual,  which is happening right now, and its much more than has worked so far...  ..  Winning!!!

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yes they do and they are assuming bigger responsibilities under Kim.....sorry but Polian was also to be charged with grooming Kim to be President/Administrator of the organization, which may be a very fine line of disagreement...today there is FAR greater/superior organizational stability IMO versus when RW went into panic mode after firing Donohole, followed by "re-tiring" Marv and putting Brandon in positions woefully unqualified for....similar upheaval was with Marrone's exodus....overall, I'd bet today's organization can seamlessly overcome the Brandon exodus without missing a beat.....just my opinion.......

That’s not the case. They wanted to stabilize he football department. People get confused as to the org chart. Think of the business side and the football side as to separate businesses. There isn’t much/any crossover. The team president oversees the business operations, marketing, stadium ops, community relations, public relations (some crossover on that), ticket sales, IT and sponsorship. I worked in sports for multiple teams for almost a decade. I’m pretty well-versed as to the way that it flows.

The reason that they can overcome Russ leaving is because he left behind talented sports business executives. Dave Wheat and Bruce Popko jump out as guys that have been high level executives for years in sports. Either one of them could have had (and may had) chances to interview for other team president positions. This isn’t at all “new” to them. 

4 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Its not just a lets win this year thing....... Are they really thinking its a sure thing they are winning now??? But in this particular region just showing commitment to building the right way is more than the usual,  which is happening right now, and its much more than has worked so far...  ..  Winning!!!

Winning will always help. That’s obvious. It just isn’t always going to happen. It doesn’t for anyone. You can’t build your budget for the upcoming year based on results on the field. The reason a team asks for your renewal at the end of the previous year is to monitor the revenue for the upcoming year. They need to know where they stand. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not the case. They wanted to stabilize he football department. People get confused as to the org chart. Think of the business side and the football side as to separate businesses. There isn’t much/any crossover. The team president oversees the business operations, marketing, stadium ops, community relations, public relations (some crossover on that), ticket sales, IT and sponsorship. I worked in sports for multiple teams for almost a decade. I’m pretty well-versed as to the way that it flows.

The reason that they can overcome Russ leaving is because he left behind talented sports business executives. Dave Wheat and Bruce Popko jump out as guys that have been high level executives for years in sports. Either one of them could have had (and may had) chances to interview for other team president positions. This isn’t at all “new” to them. 

...differing opinions and I am just pointing out what I know without revealing sources........not my style ....this is where we should leave it and move on....I'm good.....

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...differing opinions and I am just pointing out what I know without revealing sources........not my style ....this is where we should leave it and move on....I'm good.....

Then you and I have heard totally different things (and Polian never came so I’ll trust what I heard). It’s not a coincidence that the Pegula’s put RB over the Sabres after they took over the Bills. They didn’t replace him, they promoted him. They knew that he was good and could stabilize their business.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Then you and I have heard totally different things (and Polian never came so I’ll trist what I heard). It’s not a coincidence that the Pegula’s put RB over the Sabres after they took over the Bills. They didn’t replace him, they promoted him. They knew that he was good and could stabilize their business.

...bud. I am not a braggart nor will I ever be...I respect posters too much to flood the plain with BS (Dunkirk Don I will NEVER be).....our company has been suite holders for 20 years and the depth and extent of relationships at the highest level exist.....so let's just leave it there and move ahead with 2018 football discussion with mutual respect attained....:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Removing an executive is not an inexpesive endevor.  The Pegulas found reseason to fire Brandon with cause.  Not sure but assume that will cost them nothing vs forcing early retirement or buying his contract out.  The transition may have accured a year or 2 early but not unexpected.  Bringing in someone on the outside to hold the position for a year makes no sense, nor does promoting someone just to remove in the near future.