Is Kim qualified?

I'll put this out there ... in the days leading up to the draft, Kim Pegula made comments to the press about selecting a QB that would represent the city, be the face of the organization (and by that, I'm sure she was thinking the Pegula Entertainment whatever). A lot of that gets said, but it was just what I heard in her voice. Nobody in Miami, Pittsburgh, Arizona ... that sort of noise wasn't coming out and it certainly didn't come from the owner's wife in the manner I heard it. 

A few days later, the Bills select the "aw-shucks" QB and take what even our GM admits was a huge risk with the 7th pick. A few days later the ownership drops the president of two organizations. The entire organization's support of McDermott is ridiculously high. 

I don't think those three points are disconnected, not by a long shot. I don't know, to the OP if she is qualified. But I think the Pegula's - using the McDermott/Allen/Brandon examples - are on a sort of moral campaign to elevate standards over performance. An anti-Raider place, if you will, and they have been since bringing on McD. 

Does that make her qualified? To me, the best examples of top leadership represent communication, represent a culture, represent standards and enforces them. It's not at all about knowing the minutia of the actual business, necessarily.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

who knows but I don't care about other teams.

That's not the point.  The OP is asking whether or not Kim is qualified to be team president.

In order to address that question, don't you have to look at the qualifications of other people holding that job around the league, and what the job description actually entails?

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

What does it matter if Kim Pegula is "qualified" for the job of Bills president?   How much worse a job can she do in leading the team than her predecessors over the last two decades?  :angry:

• The last time the Bills won a playoff game was in 1995.
  • The last time the Bills won more than 9 games in the same season was 1999.
  • The Bills have had 6 GMs -- John Butler, Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, and Brandon Beane -- plus a two year stretch without one -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had 8 HCs (excluding temp HCs) -- Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, and Sean McDermott -- since 2000.
  • The Bills have had only 3 winning seasons since 2000.
  • The Bills have made the playoffs only once since 2000, and that was only by literally lucking into them.
  • The Bills mistakes on player personnel have been infamous, including trading away a future All Pro LT and a future All Pro RB for almost nothing to whiffing on draft picks like Aaron Maybin and John McCargo.

She will be responsible for none of that in her new role. If you were to draw an org chart it would be the owner at the top and then 2 lines, one to the GM and one the president. (Some teams have 3 lines with the coach reporting directly to the owner but we will us 2 for the sake of this conversation). Everything that falls underneath the GM would be football operations. There is a web down from there that is the pro and college sides.

The web underneath the president will be your CFO, CAO, CIO, CMO, CRO, COO, etc... it is your c-level executives. Their reports are comprised of VPs then directors then managers then coordinators, etc... There is no intersection or correlation between the president and the team performance. That has zero to do with their job. Kim’s role will be to oversee the business of the Buffalo Bills and Sabres. She will be in charge of ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, marketing, PR, stadium operations, IT, community relations, etc...That was the job that Russ Brandon held. 

So to get an answer you need to pretend that it is a different industry. Let’s pretend that the Buffalo Bills were the Buffalo Airport. Do you believe that Kim Pegula is capable of being the president there? If your answer is “yes” than you are fine with her in this role. If your answer is “no” you probably aren’t. She is running a business though not a roster.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok if that is what the job description is then yes she is qualified based off what she has already been doing for the NFL

Again what is the job description?  Until someone can accurately list that then there is no wat to judge her qualifications 

Running the day to day business operations of an NFL and NHL Franchise.

She may be qualified, but also this is her first time doing so, and she took on two teams, who have been absolutely horrid in recent history.

I'm concerned that may be too much for one person to handle. 

7 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

That's all fine and dandy, let's keep it that way. As soon as she has input on who to draft, she needs to step away. 

Two questions:

1) in his 20 years as Team President, do you think that Russ Brandon ever had input on who to draft?

2) as owners currently, do you think Terry Pegula and Kim Pegula have ever had input on who to draft?

I think the answer is "yes, unfortunately" and "yes, this has been hinted at"

So I don't understand why this point seems to be being raised as an objection to Kim Pegula as President of the Bills

At worst, she'll be continuing something that

1) the previous president was doing

2) she was already doing as a co-owner

At best, she'll have so many other new responsibilities she'll have less time to mix it in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Two questions:

1) in his 20 years as Team President, do you think that Russ Brandon ever had input on who to draft?

2) as owners currently, do you think Terry Pegula and Kim Pegula have ever had input on who to draft?

I think the answer is "yes, unfortunately" and "yes, this has been hinted at"

So I don't understand why this point seems to be being raised as an objection to Kim Pegula as President of the Bills

At worst, she'll be continuing something that

1) the previous president was doing

2) she was already doing as a co-owner

At best, she'll have so many other new responsibilities she'll have less time to mix it in.

No

Yes (but pretty minimally)

I think that the owners (and I guess Russ as the de facto owner at one point) sign off on people. I don’t think any of them ever pushed for a certain player but may have prevented a player from coming. As an example, the Pegula’s might have said “no” to Antonio Callaway this draft. If they don’t want that character in their organization i could see them vetoing someone.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

She will be responsible for none of that in her new role. If you were to draw an org chart it would be the owner at the top and then 2 lines, one to the GM and one the president. (Some teams have 3 lines with the coach reporting directly to the owner but we will us 2 for the sake of this conversation). Everything that falls underneath the GM would be football operations. There is a web down from there that is the pro and college sides.

The web underneath the president will be your CFO, CAO, CIO, CMO, CRO, COO, etc... it is your c-level executives. Their reports are comprised of VPs then directors then managers then coordinators, etc... There is no intersection or correlation between the president and the team performance. That has zero to do with their job. Kim’s role will be to oversee the business of the Buffalo Bills and Sabres. She will be in charge of ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, marketing, PR, stadium operations, IT, community relations, etc...That was the job that Russ Brandon held. 

So to get an answer you need to pretend that it is a different industry. Let’s pretend that the Buffalo Bills were the Buffalo Airport. Do you believe that Kim Pegula is capable of being the president here? If you answer is “yes” than you are fine with her in this role. If your answer is “no” you probably aren’t. She is running a business though not  a roster.

Good summary. 

I do not believe many of the people who are out raged have any large corporation experience or business in general.

She will be a leader who will set direction and strategy.  She will not be making draft picks.

This is not complicated and it seems the mob always needs a target.  Russ the target is gone, welcome to Kim as the mob target.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No (on question "in his 20 years....)

I think that the owners (and I guess Russ as the de facto owner at one point) sign off on people. I don’t think any of them ever pushed for a certain player but may have prevented a player from coming. As an example, the Pegula’s might have said “no” to Antonio Callaway this draft. If they don’t want that character in their organization i could see them vetoing someone.

With regard to Russ Brandon, that was kind of a trick question: his 20 years as team president included a 2 year stint as GM, so Yes.

There were always rumors and fan beliefs that he continued to "mix it in" after that - I am not in a position to know how true or false those rumors might be, you may have better gouge?

But after watching the video of the "War Room" when Sammy Watkins was drafted that the Bills put up on their web site, the prominent position of Brandon and Overdorf at the table, and the non-verbal cues from how Whaley looked at them and signalled them during the phone call, it is extremely hard for me to believe that Brandon was uninvolved.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No

I personally have concerns that Pegula may have vetoed (or down-rated) Rosen.  I have no evidence for this belief, simply reading TP's comments at the owner/player meeting leaked to the NY Times.  I don't see how an owner could not have a legit concern that at some point, Rosen might take up a cause that would not align with the owner's interests and be public and vocal about it and unwilling to sit down and hush up, and from his comments in the NY Times meeting it seems to me Pegula would deem that problematic.

But that's just my concern, and I hope I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With regard to Russ Brandon, that was kind of a trick question: his 20 years as team president included a 2 year stint as GM, so Yes.

There were always rumors and fan beliefs that he continued to "mix it in" after that - I am not in a position to know how true or false those rumors might be, you may have better gouge?

But after watching the video of the "War Room" when Sammy Watkins was drafted that the Bills put up on their web site, the prominent position of Brandon and Overdorf at the table, and the non-verbal cues from how Whaley looked at them and signalled them during the phone call, it is extremely hard for me to believe that Brandon was uninvolved.

I personally have concerns that Pegula may have vetoed (or down-rated) Rosen.  I have no evidence for this belief, simply reading TP's comments at the owner/player meeting leaked to the NY Times.  I don't see how an owner could not have a legit concern that at some point, Rosen might take up a cause that would not align with the owner's interests and be public and vocal about it and unwilling to sit down and hush up, and from his comments in the NY Times meeting it seems to me Pegula would deem that problematic.

But that's just my concern, and I hope I'm wrong.

I guess that you are right. My point (that I didn’t articulate clearly) is that I’m sure that they signed off on many decisions but never made one. Maybe that’s a better way of putting it. The Pegula’s (and Russ when he was acting owner and GM) were asked, “is it okay if we _____?” They have never said, “we should take _____.” That role has always been on the football people. So, I’m sure that they have rubber stamped and vetoed different players but never pushed for a player.

43 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Running the day to day business operations of an NFL and NHL Franchise.

She may be qualified, but also this is her first time doing so, and she took on two teams, who have been absolutely horrid in recent history.

I'm concerned that may be too much for one person to handle. 

Ok so essentially a Program Manager. Meaning let your team and people do their jobs and handle issues they cant handle. Also ensure your people have the resources to do their job. 

So essetially what she has been doing prior to this Title. 

8 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

They brought this on themselves. They will have to answer to the fans. If we aren't getting results, they will have hire a real football president. 

Why. Because you know Beane and McD handle the football ops. And report directly to the Owner MEANING it is their power. No President to report to jesus people

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So to get an answer you need to pretend that it is a different industry. Let’s pretend that the Buffalo Bills were the Buffalo Airport. Do you believe that Kim Pegula is capable of being the president there? If your answer is “yes” than you are fine with her in this role. If your answer is “no” you probably aren’t. She is running a business though not a roster.

Thanks, Kirby.  Good info in general, but I have a specific question if you have info on how the Bills are and were structured. 

It was always my understanding that Jim Overdorf, who used to be charged with negotiating all the player contracts, reported through Chuck Lamattina to Russ Brandon.  This was a problem sometimes as it created a perception of divided accountability for some contracts which didn't seem to protect the Bills interests very well.

1) Has this changed?  Is Beane now taking a larger role in handling the cap, and is someone  reporting to Beane now handling player contracts?

2) How do other teams handle this?  It's not intrinsically unreasonable to have the Executive VP of Finance overseeing player contracts and the cap, but it does divide accountability.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so essentially a Program Manager. Meaning let your team and people do their jobs and handle issues they cant handle. Also ensure your people have the resources to do their job. 

So essetially what she has been doing prior to this Title. 

and a bit more.

Russ had a job, what ever that may be. So she will be doing her job, + what ever the hell Russ was doing.

For two sports organizations.

I would like for them to bring in at least one person to assist. 

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

and a bit more.

Russ had a job, what ever that may be. So she will be doing her job, + what ever the hell Russ was doing.

For two sports organizations.

I would like for them to bring in at least one person to assist. 

So essentially a no change seeing she was Russ Direct Supervisor. So in other words they just cut a management level out. 

Yep still qualified 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So essentially a no change seeing she was Russ Direct Supervisor. So in other words they just cut a management level out. 

Yep still qualified 

I never said she wasn't qualified. 

Russ answered to her, yes. But Russ was still doing day to day tasks that she will now take on, leaving less time for her to do what she was doing. 

So if a person under you is fired, and you don't fill the role, you take on more work, it's that simple.