Bills or Cardinals had a trade in place with the Broncos?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/chris-simms-arizona-cardinals-heartbroken-over-missing-out-on-josh-allen

“They tried to trade to Josh Allen. Everything I know is that the No. 5 pick with the Broncos, the trade was in place, and it was with Arizona. And then [Bradley] Chubb was on the board and [John] Elway wasn’t willing to do that. [Those] were the things I was told. The Arizona Cardinals were heartbroken they did not get Josh Allen.”

I found this odd because everything we've been told, even from Beane himself, was that there was a trade in place with the Broncos (apparently it was 5 and a third for 12, 22, and a second).  Anyone else hear anything about the Cards and the Broncos?  We obviously had more to offer, so either Simms is making stuff up or confusing the Bills trade with the Cardinals.

The Bills and Broncos worked out a trade when Cleveland was on the clock for their first pick, that much I know. Would have been for both firsts and a second i believe. When Chubb was left, the Broncos bailed and we panicked because no one wanted to trade. Luckily, the Bucs changed their minds.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The Bills and Broncos worked out a trade when Cleveland was on the clock for their first pick, that much I know. Would have been for both firsts and a second i believe. When Chubb was left, the Broncos bailed and we panicked because no one wanted to trade. Luckily, the Bucs changed their minds.

I'm glad it worked out that way. If we had come out of the 1st round with just Allen it would have been hard to stomach. Getting Edmunds softened the blow for me.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Bucs changed their minds cause we overpaid by a lot, heh.  But there was really no one taking a QB till 11 barring a trade up.  We were fine IMO, someone between 7-10 woulda have taken our overpayment.

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

When Chubb dropped to the Broncos all trades went out the window.

I understand that Chubb is why a deal wasn't made, but assuming Chubb was off the board, if the Bills and Cardinals both had a deal in place with the Broncos, what happens ... do we end up throwing in another second?  I just found it interesting that we both had deals in place for #5 assuming Simm's information is correct.

Edited by essential

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This has been widely reported since 10 minutes after the Bills selected Allen.

It has?  This was the first I've read that the Cardinals also had a deal in place for #5.

6 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

So, the Browns passing on Chubb, essentially allowed us to retain our second Round #1 Pick, which we used to move up and grab Edmunds.  Fortunate sequence of events for the Bills.

Thank you Cleveland! The gift that just keeps giving! 

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The Bills had a deal in place with the Broncos for #5.   The tile says "or" not "and"

Yes, I've known the Bills had a deal in place with the Broncos since right after the first round.  While my title could have been worded better, you could also have read the first post as opposed to just the title.  My question had more to do with if the Cardinals information is true.  I had heard nothing till now that there was any competition for #5, and for Simms to say there was a deal in place with the Cardinals, when we know there was a deal in place with the Bills as well is very interesting to me.  Makes me wonder what happens if Chubb is off the board.

35 minutes ago, essential said:

Yes, I've known the Bills had a deal in place with the Broncos since right after the first round.  While my title could have been worded better, you could also have read the first post as opposed to just the title.  My question had more to do with if the Cardinals information is true.  I had heard nothing till now that there was any competition for #5, and for Simms to say there was a deal in place with the Cardinals, when we know there was a deal in place with the Bills as well is very interesting to me.  Makes me wonder what happens if Chubb is off the board.

Yeah I think if Chubb is off the board the Bills pay a lot more for Allen.  The Bills just had way more ammo and were willing to use it. so I dont think the Cardinals were a real threat there.  What I would love to know is what order the Bills had the QB's in.  Also would like to know if the Cardinals would have drafted Allen over Rosen.  Some of that we wont know for years.

• Like (+1) 1