How Brandon Beane's First Draft Set the Foundation for the Bills' Present and Future

On 5/2/2018 at 12:55 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Great read...

The article doesn’t mention the Cardinals trying to trade up to 7 so I wonder if this really happened...

It's written by a Bills PR guy from the Bills POV so that would be outside their scope...unless AZ comes out and says whether and what they offered, or TB reveals it, we'll never know for sure.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:45 PM, billsfan11 said:

Very interesting article, thanks for posting

...A+...young gun 40 something surrounded by young gun 40 somethings....this guy is already working on the  2019 road map to further success IMO........keep this gang in the fold....Colbert has been Steelers GM since 2000....THREE HC's in 48 years.....non-meddling owners...RESULT? SIX Lombardis on the shelf.....not a bad recipe for success IMO...........

1. How the Bills landed on 7. The key to where the Bills were going in the first round was with a player they ranked as the draft’s best on defense, and one that was never going be on their team: NC State DE Bradley Chubb. We mentioned last week in our pre-draft nuggets how Buffalo GM Brandon Beane wasn’t going to be held at gunpoint over his desire to go and get a quarterback. And since, we’ve been able to ascertain how Buffalo was able to move around the chessboard of the Top 12 picks.

To the Bills brass, two players held the key to how far the team would have to move up: Chubb and Barkley. Given the Giants’ and Browns’ reluctance to move the second and fourth picks, the bet here was that both guys would go in the Top 4, which meant the sweet spot for Beane and Co. was 5. And so before the draft, the Bills worked out the parameters of a trade with the Broncos that would’ve cost Buffalo both the 12th and 22nd picks. From there, Mayfield goes to the Browns at 1, Barkley to the Giants at 2, and Darnold to the Jets at 3, and both Denver and Buffalo are prepared to deal. And then Cleveland stuns both of them by taking Ohio State CB Denzel Ward, and Chubb’s presence on the board leads to Denver taking the deal off the table. So the Broncos taking Chubb caused the Bills to reset.

The Colts, with Quenton Nelson there at 6, weren’t moving. That left Buffalo talking to the Bucs, with concern that Arizona, Miami, New England, or even a dark horse like Pittsburgh or Baltimore could come up and steal Josh Allen. The Bears weren’t trading either, at 8, and so the Bills were working through scenarios with the Bucs and 49ers, whom they’d consider overpaying for the 9th pick. In the end, the key for the Bills was being able to hang on to the 22nd pick, which Tampa was asking for, and they were ready to give up to get to 5. The compromise: The Bills gave up both its second-round picks (53 and 56) to move up seven spots.

The upshot for Buffalo here is that Chubb falling a single spot from where it’d expected him to go basically added up to getting Virginia Tech LB Tremaine Edmunds. The Bills dealt the pick they got for Tyrod Taylor (65th overall) to Baltimore to go up six spots for the super athletic 19-year-old, and got a fifth-round pick back (Jacksonville State CB Siran Neal) to boot. The win for the Bills: They got their top-ranked quarterback, and one of the top few defensive players on their board, without having to give up next year’s 1, while holding on to one of their third-round picks (Stanford DT Harrison Phillips). Beane’s patience sure seemed to pay off.

Whether you like the exact QB picked or not, Beane really did execute the whole 1st round of the draft brilliantly. He stayed patient, held firm and kept pick 22, which almost none of us expected. Shoot, many here were all about giving up THREE 1sts, or two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd or some such combination of picks. Yet he landed his QB for a couple 2nds... 

It can't be an easy thing to do, staying that patient while players are flying off the board. I know I was freaking out from picks 2-6... lol. A lot of GMs would have panicked and given up that 1st. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Whether you like the exact QB picked or not, Beane really did execute the whole 1st round of the draft brilliantly. He stayed patient, held firm and kept pick 22, which almost none of us expected. Shoot, many here were all about giving up THREE 1sts, or two 1sts, two 2nds, and a 3rd or some such combination of picks. Yet he landed his QB for a couple 2nds... 

It can't be an easy thing to do, staying that patient while players are flying off the board. I know I was freaking out from picks 2-6... lol. A lot of GMs would have panicked and given up that 1st. 

His patience, stubborness, and good fortune all were at play to produce a good outcome for Beane in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, BillsFan4 said:

We gave up far less for a top QB than most everyone predicted. Now there are complaints that we gave up too much. lol.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 3

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

And then Cleveland stuns both of them by taking Ohio State CB Denzel Ward, and Chubb’s presence on the board leads to Denver taking the deal off the table. So the Broncos taking Chubb caused the Bills to reset.

I'm still stunned that the Browns passed on Chubb for a CB.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, that was a shock. Elway was shocked.

We lucked out because we would have done the trade with Denver otherwise.

Edited by Sky Diver

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't go that far since the Browns do have Garrett and Ogbah at DE.  Ward is going to fill a major hole for them. 

Chubb was the best defensive player in this draft. Ward was arguably the best CB in this draft. But this draft was loaded with good CBs, one of which could have been selected at the top of the second round. Chubb was a highly rated DE in a draft class that had few, if any other elite pass rushers. I'm not suggesting that Ward was a bad pick because that isn't the case. I just thought that they could have come out of this draft with an elite DE and still gotten a very good CB with their next pick. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And still to my mind he is primarily a nickel corner.  He might be a Chris Harris good nickel corner..... who can play on the boundary in base (not that teams play all that much base these days) but the position his skills make him potentially elite at is inside.  

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Chubb was the best defensive player in this draft. Ward was arguably the best CB in this draft. But this draft was loaded with good CBs, one of which could have been selected at the top of the second round. Chubb was a highly rated DE in a draft class that had few, if any other elite pass rushers. I'm not suggesting that Ward was a bad pick because that isn't the case. I just thought that they could have come out of this draft with an elite DE and still gotten a very good CB with their next pick. 

I don't actually agree that the draft was loaded at corner however.  I think a lot of corners in this draft can play and be good players but they are all quite scheme specific fits in my mind. Not a patch on the 2017 corner class.  I thought both DE and CB were relatively thin.  Just my opinion of course... but I only had 1 first round CB and 2 first round DEs (Chubb and Devenport).  I'd still have take Chubb at #4..... he was the #1 player on my entire board.  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't go that far since the Browns do have Garrett and Ogbah at DE.  Ward is going to fill a major hole for them. 

Then trade down and still get him.  No one else was going to take him in the top 10.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then trade down and still get him.  No one else was going to take him in the top 10.

I'm not so sure about that, but they likely could have traded down within the top ten and still got him.