How Brandon Beane's First Draft Set the Foundation for the Bills' Present and Future

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't actually agree that the draft was loaded at corner however.  I think a lot of corners in this draft can play and be good players but they are all quite scheme specific fits in my mind. Not a patch on the 2017 corner class.  I thought both DE and CB were relatively thin.  Just my opinion of course... but I only had 1 first round CB and 2 first round DEs (Chubb and Devenport).  I'd still have take Chubb at #4..... he was the #1 player on my entire board.  

I'm aware that we both agree that Cleveland should have taken Chubb. Even if the Browns wanted to select the only first round CB in this draft they did so by passing up on one of the top rated players in the draft and also the top rated defensive player in this draft. (As you stated with your own evaluations.) The Browns still had the top pick in the first round and  could have gotten a lesser rated CB but still a good CB prospect. I'm sure you also agree that the best way to elevate your defensive backfield is to have a top tier pass rushing line. The addition of Chubb to that line would have made it one of the best in the league. In my mind they squandered an opportunity to add a more impactful player in this draft. This is one organization that can't afford to make such mistakes.  

On 5/4/2018 at 6:11 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's written by a Bills PR guy from the Bills POV so that would be outside their scope...unless AZ comes out and says whether and what they offered, or TB reveals it, we'll never know for sure.

Post draft smoke and mirrors.  Love it.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not so sure about that, but they likely could have traded down within the top ten and still got him. 

The next CB wasn't picked until 18.  Who might have taken him in the top 10?  I saw one mock who said Broncos at 5 but we know they were trading out until they saw the Browns pick.  This pick made no sense at all.   Either take the impact player (Chubb) or trade down and still get your guy.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The next CB wasn't picked until 18.  Who might have taken him in the top 10?  I saw one mock who said Broncos at 5 but we know they were trading out until they saw the Browns pick.  This pick made no sense at all.   Either take the impact player (Chubb) or trade down and still get your guy.

The 49ers easily could have take him at 9.  I would have taken Chubb too, but I can see their rationale given the need and the fact that they have Garrett and Ogbah as I mentioned earlier. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 49ers easily could have take him at 9.  I would have taken Chubb too, but I can see their rationale given the need and the fact that they have Garrett and Ogbah as I mentioned earlier. 

They could have picked Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson--both solid choices.  They wanted O-lineman (not that i agree with their pick).

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

They could have picked Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson--both solid choices.  They wanted O-lineman (not that i agree with their pick).

Ward was the highest rated CB in the draft and they had the need. We'll never know since he was gone at 4. 

Just now, Elite Poster said:

I remember how mad people used to get when Doug Whaley would trade up in drafts.

What happened to fill the holes crowd? 

Beane has been telegraphing the trade up move to grab a potential franchise QB for quite a long time.  It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane has been telegraphing the trade up move to grab a potential franchise QB for quite a long time.  It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. 

We also traded up for a linebacker. A move that if Whaley made this board would collapse, explode.

Btw, I loved the Edmunds pick.

Just now, Elite Poster said:

We also traded up for a linebacker. A move that if Whaley made this board would collapse, explode.

He used the accumulated draft capital to get two guys he really wanted to hopefully fill two gaping holes.   Edmunds was too good to pass up and the need was massive. 

39 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Doug traded up for Linebacker as well who never saw the field...

From pick 49 to 41 all for the bargain price of two fourth rounders..

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Doug traded up for Linebacker as well who never saw the field...

From pick 49 to 41 all for the bargain price of two fourth rounders..

I mean was it really his fault? Kid unfortunately got hurt in camp then they changed coach and scheme. 

The same exact thing could happen to Edmunds but there's a lot of homer cocoa going around these days.

5 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I mean was it really his fault? Kid unfortunately got hurt in camp then they changed coach and scheme. 

The same exact thing could happen to Edmunds but there's a lot of homer cocoa going around these days.

I think the move up for Ragland  of 8 spots in the 2nd  (not taking his injury or scheme fit  into account...I'm just looking at the price paid to move from 49 to 41) was an overpay, and that seemed to happen a few times on Doug's watch..

Maybe they could have waited at 49 and he might have dropped.. Maybe.. we will never know and he obviously had Rex in his ear, but perhaps he should have told Rex to buzz off...

Beane swapped a 3rd for a 5th to move up six spots in the first ( 22 to 16) for a prospect that a lot of so called experts have rated in the 5 to 10 range...

But.. lets see how Edmunds works out.. I don't want to be getting his bust made up for Canton yet when he hasn't even hit Rookie camp..

Also on the other side of the fence.. last year McDermott moved up for Dawkins and that seemed to work out OK... I appreciate its not an exact science..

Maybe the moral should be that if you are moving up for someone they better be a success!

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think the move up for Ragland  of 8 spots in the 2nd  (not taking his injury or scheme fit  into account...I'm just looking at the price paid to move from 49 to 41) was an overpay, and that seemed to happen a few times on Doug's watch..

Maybe they could have waited at 49 and he might have dropped.. Maybe.. we will never know and he obviously had Rex in his ear, but perhaps he should have told Rex to buzz off...

Beane swapped a 3rd for a 5th to move up six spots in the first ( 22 to 16) for a prospect that a lot of so called experts have rated in the 5 to 10 range...

But.. lets see how Edmunds works out.. I don't want to be getting his bust made up for Canton yet when he hasn't even hit Rookie camp..

Also on the other side of the fence.. last year McDermott moved up for Dawkins and that seemed to work out OK... I appreciate its not an exact science..

Maybe the moral should be that if you are moving up for someone they better be a success!

They also moved up for Zay and traded a 3 for KB. Spent 3 picks for 2 guys that haven't really done much for us.

Also that Edmunds trade up included the first pick in the 3rd - essentially a 2nd. I don't think we overpaid but still assets nonetheless. We are speaking of all hypotheticals.