What this says about WGR and the new BFAN

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is it? They have local programming 6am-9pm m-f as well as 11-2 Sat and Sun and only the 12-3 slot on weekdays could be considered homer time. 

Don't forget Pegula's Sabres sponsored radio from 10-12 M-F.

21 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Don't you have school in the morning?

Not for forty years junior, how about you?

22 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Bulldog??

OK, I will play - German Shepard!

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

For a station that touts being " The official radio for the Buffalo Bills and Sabres" to not break the Russ Brandon story speaks volumes about the disconnection that station has with the Bills, the players and management! Their insiders should have broke this , with the Pegulas blessing but did not because they are not trusted nor are they considered legit by ownership and management. I think it's now time for Kim & Terry to venture into ownership of their own Radio Station! Why not? Stock it with local and national professionals, maybe pick up a few of the ESPN Jocks that were let go. Homer network? Maybe. But they have the juice. BFAN Baby! It's about time ?

Their only insider is Sal.  He knew nothing about it as did the majority of the Buffalo media.  Give Graham credit... he’s a dammmmm good reporter

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Their only insider is Sal.  He knew nothing about it as did the majority of the Buffalo media.  Give Graham credit... he’s a dammmmm good reporter

I give Tim HUGE props! The point of my post is that, in a major market the flagship station of a major sports team would either have the exclusive on something like this or break the story. There really is no connection between the radio personalities at GRRR and the Bills. Which is sad IMHO. 

10 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

I give Tim HUGE props! The point of my post is that, in a major market the flagship station of a major sports team would either have the exclusive on something like this or break the story. There really is no connection between the radio personalities at GRRR and the Bills. Which is sad IMHO. 

Not true. In big markets the beat guys always get it first before radio. In fact in big markets the host are very rarely fans of the teams they cover. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Not true. In big markets the beat guys always get it first before radio. In fact in big markets the host are very rarely fans of the teams they cover. 

Sal Capaccio from WGR IS the Bills beat reporter , no?

On 5/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, Green Lightning said:

Radio station seldom break news. Their staff lives indoors. It's usually the newspapers and wires that have that access. Radio is where people ate going to talk about

It doesn't have to be that way. And it's a sad reflection that there is little competition (I'll single out Paul Hamilton as an exception) from the hosts to not simply break news but to actually be around the team.

The hosts (beyond Murphy and likely now Tasker) are never at practice beyond required appearances at training camp, or in the locker room. I'm told this is relatively unique to Buffalo. Hosts in other markets spend more time with the teams.

And it's spending time with the players in the players' environment, as opposed to having them on by phone, is how you get to know them. And also how you begin to break stories.

This will, to some, come off as "Oh, there goes wawrow popping off on GR, again."

Sure, maybe. But that was one of the issues i had with the morning show host who rooted for the tank while refusing to step foot in the locker room and confronting the players face to face. It seemed above him.

jw

On 5/2/2018 at 8:33 AM, 4thandGoal said:

I heard the story from WGR about 5pm-- not sure what time it actually came out but to me --they broke the story but WGR as a whole still SUCKS!!!  John Murphys show is not about causing controversy so if he wants ot be a homer-- so be it!!!  the other hosts dont have to be fans of our teams but dont berate people that for the opinion and hang up on them, 

WGR did not break the story.

Not even close.

jw

4 hours ago, john wawrow said:

It doesn't have to be that way. And it's a sad reflection that there is little competition (I'll single out Paul Hamilton as an exception) from the hosts to not simply break news but to actually be around the team.

The hosts (beyond Murphy and likely now Tasker) are never at practice beyond required appearances at training camp, or in the locker room. I'm told this is relatively unique to Buffalo. Hosts in other markets spend more time with the teams.

And it's spending time with the players in the players' environment, as opposed to having them on by phone, is how you get to know them. And also how you begin to break stories.

This will, to some, come off as "Oh, there goes wawrow popping off on GR, again."

Sure, maybe. But that was one of the issues i had with the morning show host who rooted for the tank while refusing to step foot in the locker room and confronting the players face to face. It seemed above him.

jw

Hi John, I spent most of my career in broadcast news and media, both radio and television. 30 some odd years ago when I started out I was a radio reporter covering government, the courts, and politics. And I had two other radio stations that I was competing with every single day to be first. It was great competition and it kept your head in the game. So I had three beats. Within a few years all that went away, the staff was let go,  and I ended up in studio, anchoring and making phone calls.

The cuts were just drastic. Same for television now. Everybody's general assignment and they don't have two minutes to rub together for the actual work of reporting. If they go out they have to come back with a package or story.  Attending committee meetings or governmental hearings is only reserved when there's something controversial going on.

And I hate to say it but that's the way of newspapers now. In Rochester, there's one D&C reporter covering all of government. Which means if you have a dozen priorities, you have no priorities.They are no longer beat reporters, they're doing spot government news. It's pathetic but that's the how it is.

Plus not to show my broadcast by yes, but I found that most government entities and agencies when they want to leak a story always opts for the paper. A lot of the news that the newspapers used to break was given to them because of their wider readership rather than just going with one of a dozen broadcast stations.

And then there's turnover. They pay like crap so everybody starting out, or looking for the next gig as soon as they start. Even 10 years ago there was always one person at a broadcast station who had a lot of institutional memory and knowledge that would have the contacts to break an occasional story. But those folks are getting few and far between.

All that said, I do agree with you about sports stations, particularly ones that are are they main broadcast vehicle of a pro football and hockey team. The drive time talk show hosts really do have to be in studio and spend the bulk of their time there. WGR has the luxury of two beat reporters and multiple talk show hosts that are not tied to the studio. (I am a fan of Paul Hamilton.)

Those are the guys who should be out, hanging with the team and breaking stories. Often though to gain access to get a little too comfortable with the teams are covering as they either don't have the time or inkling to do anything but rely on the team for the news and notifications - or they just buy the company line.

It's tough to find  an unbiased, educated view of what's going on. You often get a reporter who won't say boo, or columnist who will goes on rants just to provoke readers and get clicks.

Not to blow smoke at you, that's why I value what you do and I like Matthew Fairburn quite a lot as well. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Hi John, I spent most of my career in broadcast news and media, both radio and television. 30 some odd years ago when I started out I was a radio reporter covering government, the courts, and politics. And I had two other radio stations that I was competing with every single day to be first. It was great competition and it kept your head in the game. So I had three beats. Within a few years all that went away, the staff was let go,  and I ended up in studio, anchoring and making phone calls.

The cuts were just drastic. Same for television now. Everybody's general assignment and they don't have two minutes to rub together for the actual work of reporting. If they go out they have to come back with a package or story.  Attending committee meetings or governmental hearings is only reserved when there's something controversial going on.

And I hate to say it but that's the way of newspapers now. In Rochester, there's one D&C reporter covering all of government. Which means if you have a dozen priorities, you have no priorities.They are no longer beat reporters, they're doing spot government news. It's pathetic but that's the how it is.

Plus not to show my broadcast by yes, but I found that most government entities and agencies when they want to leak a story always opts for the paper. A lot of the news that the newspapers used to break was given to them because of their wider readership rather than just going with one of a dozen broadcast stations.

And then there's turnover. They pay like crap so everybody starting out, or looking for the next gig as soon as they start. Even 10 years ago there was always one person at a broadcast station who had a lot of institutional memory and knowledge that would have the contacts to break an occasional story. But those folks are getting few and far between.

All that said, I do agree with you about sports stations, particularly ones that are are they main broadcast vehicle of a pro football and hockey team. The drive time talk show hosts really do have to be in studio and spend the bulk of their time there. WGR has the luxury of two beat reporters and multiple talk show hosts that are not tied to the studio. (I am a fan of Paul Hamilton.)

Those are the guys who should be out, hanging with the team and breaking stories. Often though to gain access to get a little too comfortable with the teams are covering as they either don't have the time or inkling to do anything but rely on the team for the news and notifications - or they just buy the company line.

It's tough to find  an unbiased, educated view of what's going on. You often get a reporter who won't say boo, or columnist who will goes on rants just to provoke readers and get clicks.

Not to blow smoke at you, that's why I value what you do and I like Matthew Fairburn quite a lot as well. 

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2018 at 9:31 PM, Green Lightning said:

Thanks for the compliment.

I understand that there's less time for the hosts to get to practice. And I'm not suggesting they be there every day. Once a week or once every two weeks during the NFL season shouldn't be too much to ask, though.

As someone once told me, 80 percent of the job is being there. This is how you build relationships, close up, not from afar or tethered to a phone line.

And I'm not suggesting they break stories either, but rather gain perspective by building a relationship rather than merely speaking to the person on air.

It's not about getting quotes, so much as gaining insight into what makes the teams they talk about tick. It's no different from the colin cowherds and skip bayless of the world, who merely rely on hot takery without being there in the muck of it.

The further removed you are from the people you are supposed to cover, the less insight you can draw from a personal perspective. And the increased chance you get it wrong because there are no checks and balances to confront you and help shape your opinion.

For all the crap Jerry or Harrington get for their negativity, at the very least they are present in the locker rooms to face the people they are criticizing. At the very least, they're accountable to the people they cover.

I cover two pro sports teams plus deal with whatever comes up in this town, while writing a story a day and often more. And yet, I make time to be there to gather perspective for what I'm writing.

Is it too much to ask from those who "cover" the team, or rather simply talk about them, to do a little more?

jw

Edited by john wawrow
  • Like (+1) 1

Speaking of competition, there is some. The Buffalo Star is online and subscription only, so I can't tell you how good it bad they are. Tim Graham has an afternoon show on AM 1270. Plus Rich Genzler and Shredd & Regan have some sports content on their music shows. Am I forgetting anyone?