Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're a supervisor dating someone who reports to you, there's the line, and you walked across.  It may be consensual; your report may be happy.  But because the imbalance of power between a supervisor and a report always leaves some question as to how free the consent really was and whether it will affect the supervisor's behavior, AFAIK most companies say "no" very explicitly.  As in make you read and sign that you've read all kinds of legal stuff saying "I've been told don't do that and I acknowledge I've been told" explicitly

If you're in different reporting structures or on the same level and you keep it civil and non-disruptive, no one will care.

Exactly - most larger companies enforce strict sexual harassment / workplace sensitivity training that communicates this to some extent. In fact, it's in most employee handbooks. In addition, most larger companies also buy liability insurance to protect in situations like this as well, with their insurance premiums being cheaper if they can ensure all employees have gone through said training.

It's a big deal.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're a supervisor dating someone who reports to you, there's the line, and you walked across.  It may be consensual; your report may be happy.  But because the imbalance of power between a supervisor and a report always leaves some question as to how free the consent really was and whether it will affect the supervisor's behavior, AFAIK most companies say "no" very explicitly.  As in make you read and sign that you've read all kinds of legal stuff saying "I've been told don't do that and I acknowledge I've been told" explicitly

If you're in different reporting structures or on the same level and you keep it civil and non-disruptive, no one will care.

I met my wife, she was my boss.  Guess what, she still is! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I met my wife, she was my boss.  Guess what, she still is! :lol:

You're the rare success story. More often than not, you'll find situations where there is some abuse of power involved.

Congrats, you're a lucky one! 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Whats funny is the people that are b*tching about Kim not being qualified are probably the same people that voted for a completely unqualified President 

Yep, over the years, I have noticed that there are a lot of Obama supporters in here.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Whats funny is the people that are b*tching about Kim not being qualified are probably the same people that voted for a completely unqualified President. 

After all as The President says “grab them by the BEEP”

Seriously - how do they know she's not qualified? A (very) basic internet search tells a different story, where she was involved with Terry's company from 1991, up until they sold it in 2010. A 19-year career in the energy-business is nothing to laugh at.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Whats funny is the people that are b*tching about Kim not being qualified are probably the same people that voted for a completely unqualified President. 

After all as The President says “grab them by the BEEP”

Bobby, please contact your sources ASAP and let them know you’re talking silly again. 

1 minute ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Seriously - how do they know she's not qualified? A (very) basic internet search tells a different story, where she was involved with Terry's company from 1991, up until they sold it in 2010. A 19-year career in the energy-business is nothing to laugh at.

And nothing to do with running an NFL team either. 

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yikes. I'm going to guess you're in high school. You clearly have never worked in an office. Every work place has its share of !@#$s, men and women alike. But most people keep their heads down and do their work, and unless you're a prick everyone will mostly be friendly with you. And office relationships are fine. It isn't hard to see where the line is and not cross it. Russ obviously crossed the line many times and it finally caught up with him.

Well said, too much hyperbole is used when this stuff happens. Work place relationship will happen, the problem occurs when a guy crosses the line. Knowing not to cross the line simply requires basic social skills. These skills are often blocked by arrogance. A high ranking married male employee (Brandon) can’t expect not to encounter repercussions for his type behavior. It’s one thing for two single low level employees to date, it’s another for a married CEO to sleaze around the facility. 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And nothing to do with running an NFL team either. 

Fair enough.

However, I would argue that her career as an executive has afforded her some solid business fundamentals - the most important (in my mind at least) being to surround yourself with people who can make the proper football decisions for you.

Half of NFL owners don't have prior NFL team experience before owning the team - you think all they do is think about football? At the end of the day, owning an NFL franchise is about running a business, which almost universally, they all DO have experience doing.

Edited by Mr. ChumChums

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Whats funny is the people that are b*tching about Kim not being qualified are probably the same people that voted for a completely unqualified President 

I'm not bitching about it but I do think it's a fair criticism. People always criticize meddling owners. Look at what we said about Al Davis and Jerry Jones. Why should it be any different for her?

In fact, the criticism is stronger with her because they were football guys their whole lives and knew the ropes inside and out. Kim's a newb whose only been on the scene for 4 years.

As a side note, of course NFL owners never have a ton of experience running an NFL franchise. 

You just can’t earn enough money building NFL front office experience to ever afford to buy a team. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Terry and Kim wanted to ditch a guy with Brandon’s...colorful reputation. They seem to respond to a family values type of crowd, but needed to keep him on for a few years to learn the ropes while they built their own network of contacts. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Just a quick little thought. Investigation started either right before the draft or during. Pegulas are furious of what they find out. They let him sit at the draft table so he feels empowered and on top of the world- then Friday kim confronts and says “resign or be fired you POS”. Talk about chopping someone down if thats how it went.

Do we know he was at the draft table?  I didn't see any photos reflecting that. 

1 minute ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Fair enough.

However, I would argue that her career as an executive has afforded her some solid business fundamentals - the most important (in my mind at least) being to surround yourself with people who can make the proper football decisions for you.

Most NFL owners don't have prior NFL team experience before owning the team - you think all they do is think about football? At the end of the day, owning an NFL franchise is about running a business, which almost universally, they all DO have experience doing.

True. But as owner she could have hired a President like the guy Kirby suggested who is very qualified for the job and doesn't need the spotlight, and then made any executive decisions she needs to or wants to as his boss, and had a qualified person in that job. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Just laughing at all the people that say he is unqualified and never worked for her, with her, know her. It is funny to me

• Like (+1) 1