New Helmet Rule & Changes to Kickoffs Adopted

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4. When the ball hits the end zone, it's immediately ruled a touchback. There is no need for a player to down the ball in the end zone to initiate a touchback.

Huh?  Isn't it still a live ball? What if a squibb kick bounces into the end-zone?

10 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Dont know if I like the touchback part. No returns out of the endzone allowed?

Only if the ball hits the ground.  This could be called “The Bills Rule” for their failure to cover a kickoff in the end zone that the Jets recovered for a touchdown.

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4. When the ball hits the end zone, it's immediately ruled a touchback. There is no need for a player to down the ball in the end zone to initiate a touchback.

Mike Gillislee approves this rule change.

As long as guys are still allowed to run behind their pads and lower their shoulders to make hits i'm ok.   Yes the head comes down when the pads come down but if the runner or tackler is not initiating contact with the head, there should not be a penalty.   

The lowering of the head is still a gigantic issue at the most basic level of football. peewees and pop warner, I still see 10yard apart straight up hits on instagram being celebrated, it's a stupid drill and it should not be encouraged.  Same with  coaches yelling that players need to get their head across the body when making a tackle.   Just make the tackle don't worry about head placement, take the head out of the game.  i coached peewees, and on angle tackles, we concentrated on getting a players belly button on the runner, forget the head, get them to tackle with the HIPS, and shoulder pads.   head in front, head behind no matter hit and wrap up and drive through.    But it's still being taught incorrectly from the get go. 

I think these changes will retain the "feel" of a kickoff - and reduce injuries (which is their goal).

What I am more curious about is how this will affect an onside kick attempt - given the fact the receiving team now has to wait until after the ball gets to the 45 to initiate any contact - it really seems like an onside could be "more" effective.  I wonder if they tried this out at all - or consulted with ST coaches?

• 2 weeks later...

I have still seen no meaningful data linking kickoff plays specifically to CTE or even head trauma in general.

The NFL appears to be intent on creating a track record of action so as to create the illusion that they are taking preventative measures to help prevent head trauma. 

Modifying kickoffs is not going to impact overall cases of CTE IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing K/Os go away simply b/c they are used as a scam nowadays to pack in more commercials. 

Someone scores?  Give the ball to the other team on yard line X.  And keep the game moving! 

K/Os are rarely exciting, and they almost always give rise to a penalty anyway.

Preserve the ability to do an  onside kick if scoring team wants to.  With the caveat that the kicking team has to actually do the onside kick if they line up for it.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:11 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Are kickoffs really more prone to injury than other plays? I can’t say that I’ve noticed that. If they get rid of kickoffs that’ll be one less thing for second string players to do, and will move the NFL one step closer to becoming the virtually unwatchable NBA on turf!

easily

it was a great method of taking out someone on the other team by hitting him at full speed, especially the smallest person on the field

if you could line him up and truck him while he wasn't quite paying attention to your approach, good night Sir...........

I agree with the OP, but force is mass times acceleration, not velocity. M x V = Momentum

On May 23, 2018 at 8:13 AM, Soda Popinski said:

So 5 x 5 on kickoffs, what about onside kicks?   Same rule?  

You'd be getting TD returns like crazy! Think about all that open field!

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2018 at 6:59 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

EDIT: By the way, Lorax is a good interview. He pretty much gave Josh Allen a pass on the whole racist tweet thing, stating what many of us have said: thank God there was no social media when I was 16. The whole thing was on what was once called Mike & Mike.

He should have just said those things behind the hand ball courts with his buds when they snuck out to smoke a cigarette as opposed to memorializing it.

Twitter is dumb IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

• 1 month later...