Bronxbomber21

[edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?

Remember last year in the preseason we were all clamouring for Brandon Reilly?

Did he actually do anything wrong?

i note now that no one is even projecting him to make 53..

He has all the physical tools to be great. Injuries in college pretty much kept him off the field or unproductive but he should be fresh for training camp. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Remember last year in the preseason we were all clamouring for Brandon Reilly?

Did he actually do anything wrong?

i note now that no one is even projecting him to make 53..

......darn good showing in pre-season.....at the same time, by not activating him, he neither gets a credited or accrued season...so now with a new QB corp with a "deeper (pun)" perspective of the field, the kid gets another shot and OBD gets an additional year....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2018 NFL Draft: 20 undrafted rookies in most favorable situations

7) Robert Foster, WR, Bills

College: Alabama

The skinny: The Bills selected a couple of quick receivers in the late rounds (Ray-Ray McCloud, Austin Proehl), but found the larger downfield receiver in Foster after the draft. Josh Allen's arm needs to be stretched out, and Foster has the size/speed combo to make that happen.

Looks pretty explosive.  Considering our current unit he has a shot for the 53, most likely PS until KB gets his knee blown out

His moves are eerily reminiscent of A. Reed... Worth a look, that's for sure.

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

14 hours ago, eball said:

Watch out for Austin Proehl.

I agree.  He may be our Wes Welker.  He was injured and I think that kept him from breaking out onto the national radar.  He is one of those shifty water bug receivers that is so hard to cover off the line.  That first step is so fast they have separation almost immediately.  Could come in handy for a QB behind an O line that can't give him a lot of time for routes to develop.

Foster has one thing going for him.  He should have an inside track on the playbook.  What he does with that will determine his position with the team.  

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree.  He may be our Wes Welker.  He was injured and I think that kept him from breaking out onto the national radar.  He is one of those shifty water bug receivers that is so hard to cover off the line.  That first step is so fast they have separation almost immediately.  Could come in handy for a QB behind an O line that can't give him a lot of time for routes to develop.

He's got that Welker/Edelman cockiness about him too.  I'm amazed the Hoodie didn't snatch him up.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:48 AM, ScottLaw said:

If there's one position an UDFA can make this team at and even start its at receiver... because the Bills WRs are awful. 

We probably got our choice of WR UDFAs this year. I'm assuming agents look at team needs and try to send their clients somewhere they actually have a chance to make it.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:20 AM, Doc Brown said:

We should have the annual Da'Rick Rogers award for undrafted free agents we're intrigued by that end up not making the team.

We could also use some help on the interior D-line...

...I wonder if Michael Jasper is still available?

On 5/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

i haven't looked at his stats yet. how big is he? hope he's over 5'9.

The biggest knock on Foster was he didn't take care of the ball after catch. He had 35 career receptions and fumbled 3 of them, losing 2. He could be a return man, but will likely just be a decoy to stretch the field so the Bills can throw underneath him. Assuming he makes the team.

5 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i haven't looked at his stats yet. how big is he? hope he's over 5'9.

He's a shade over 5'9".

On 5/1/2018 at 1:14 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He could play. 

SF signed him to a 3 year contract last spring, then cut him before the season.  Why?

Jets signed him.  He was suspended 4 games for PED and cut.

When he did play, wasn't he always on again off again?  Some weeks he looked great, others he couldn't hang onto anything?

The problem is that may actually qualify as a starter on our WR depth chart. 

1 hour ago, napmaster said:

Didn't see this in the thread yet, so I'll add to the hype:

Why some teams didn't want Foster at the Combine:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/why_some_nfl_teams_didnt_want.html

One of Foster's nicknames at Alabama: "The Road Runner."

On a team full of fast players, Foster was arguably the fastest.

Well, Foster did get an invite to the Combine, and no one drafted him.  If they get anything from him, it's gravy.

All we need is one of them to step up, Kelvin Benjamin is an OK #1, not bad, not good but solid.

We need Zay, Kerley, Proehl, Ray Ray or Foster to be good and we are respectable, just takes one of them.

I got my money on Zay, Kerley or Foster.

Say what you will, but he's worked with Daboll before which gives him a head start. He should already come,in with some knowledge of how Daboll runs his offense, terminology, responsibilities. I could see him playing early in the season while the other young WRs play catch up. Hopefully he works out.

The key for him is if he can beat the press at the LOS. 

Bills fans have fell in love with UDFA WR's before, only to have it blow up in their faces.

I hope you folks aren't guaranteeing him a roster spot like it has been done in the past with UDFA WR's.