[edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I understand the hype around him. Very little production in college. I will admit that I only saw him play a few times, so my opinion doesn’t matter much. What is it that people see in Foster??

The possibility of a UDFA making the 53 is always a compelling story this time of year. The hype has less to do with his ability, and more to do with the notion that someone with so little experience could become a decent NFL player. I've been following DeBeer for these reasons, more or less. It helps that it's a position of such acute need. And, if our staff can find these sorts of people, then that gives us hope and confidence in "The Process," as it were.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:40 AM, Rubes said:

I love the threads this time of year that project one of our UDFAs as a steal and a starter.

Well, it is not like it has never happened before. Ever heard of Fred Jackson?

13 hours ago, cd1 said:

Well, it is not like it has never happened before. Ever heard of Fred Jackson?

How long did it take Fred to become a starter. 

Odds say Foster will be on PS this year. Though WR group is one position group someone can impress ans break into major contributor status right away. 

But just like Riley i think he spends most of the year on PS 

On 5/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Logic said:

One thing I've learned over the years is to not get my hopes up too high for "UDFA STEAL RECEIVERS!!!!!!!". Martin Nance, Da'Rick Rogers, and Brandon Reilly all say "hello".

Couldn't say it any better. Every year fans walk around with boners over a guy who is a UDFA claiming he's the 2nd coming. Looks like Foster and his 5 play/catch highlight video over X amount of years is the next guy to the plate.

Edited by Your Brown Eye

35 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I don't understand the hype around this guy. Has he done something to leapfrog the two WRs they drafted in front of him?

5* recruit, good speed, played for a team with a loaded roster. Wasn’t drafted because he wasn’t very productive. It didn’t help that Alabama has a running QB who isn’t a very good passer and he had Calvin Ridley ahead of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

5* recruit, good speed, played for a team with a loaded roster. Wasn’t drafted because he wasn’t very productive. It didn’t help that Alabama has a running QB who isn’t a very good passer and he had Calvin Ridley ahead of him. 

You left out the most important factor - he's the only WR who has played for Daboll...

Looking at tape, he runs like the wind. Running style reminds me of James Lofton. He's a gadget guy you need to get into open space somehow. End-arounds, screens, etc. Ceiling is an elite gadget guy, used on very specific types of plays. 

On 6/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, Sky Diver said:

Yeah, never underestimate what is sitting on the "bama bench...

On 6/9/2018 at 10:29 AM, Rocky Landing said:

The possibility of a UDFA making the 53 is always a compelling story this time of year. The hype has less to do with his ability, and more to do with the notion that someone with so little experience could become a decent NFL player. I've been following DeBeer for these reasons, more or less. It helps that it's a position of such acute need. And, if our staff can find these sorts of people, then that gives us hope and confidence in "The Process," as it were.

....over 30% of active NFL players were UDFA. The Patriots usually have the most every year. Considering how weak we are at wr, it wouldn't shock me to see Foster make this team....

On 6/10/2018 at 1:59 PM, Rob's House said:

I don't understand the hype around this guy. Has he done something to leapfrog the two WRs they drafted in front of him?

I think the hype is his height and speed. 

6’2

4.3 40yard

On 6/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, Rob's House said:

Yep. Play outside and not the slot.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:54 PM, KD in CA said:

If he was such a steal, wouldn't Saban have clued in his buddy Belichick about it?

When you are a scumbag, you change best buddies on whims. It's entirely possible that Daboll is his best buddy for a few months and then, say, Kim Jong Un.