[edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I think Foster has a great chance to make this team. I really think he just has to beat out Reilly, Streater, Dupre...not quite the biggest hill to climb. 

He was a 5* recruit so he has talent. The main knock is his lack of production, but he was on a team that didn't have a great passing attack. He was in the shadow of Calvin Ridley.

He could be a gem. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster is 6'2" 194, I don't think he is competing against two undersized slot receivers. Who do we have on the outside?

He is competing to make the roster as a wide receiver, PERIOD.

Benjamin
Jones
Kerley
Holmes

are likely making the roster. That leaves two spots at most. I'd LOVE it if Foster beat out Andre Holmes and could contribute on special teams and offense. Time will tell if he can do it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2018 at 5:14 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure Foster makes the team.  Not a productive guy in college, and the speed stuff is a bit overblown.  Of the long shots I think Cam Phillips has a better shot, but the competition in camp should be fun to watch.

I would think Daboll would know best how productive he can be. The fact he's here should tell you something.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I see your point.  However, that same point would make me question why he wasnt more productive under Daboll in college.

As stated earlier, the fact that Foster chose Buffalo knowing Daboll was running the show is one thing, and the fact that Daboll talked Foster up enough to McD and Beane so that they signed him ahead of other teams is another equally significant thing. The fact they both happened simultaneously is reason to believe this guy has a lot of untapped talent. There is also a very believable reason that he didn't put up good numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:37 PM, Sky Diver said:

Alabama didn't have a great passing game this year. He has talent. Hopefully he can refine his game.

Was their passing game limited due to the QB more than anything though?   I kind of think it was after watching two very separate halves of football in the National title game. 

29 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Was their passing game limited due to the QB more than anything though?   I kind of think it was after watching two very separate halves of football in the National title game. 

Yes, Hurts is a good runner, but not a pocket passer.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Yes, Hurts is a good runner, but not a pocket passer.

I think if Daboll had been able to run the offense through the QB he wanted it would have been much different.   This year I think he's got cart Blanche with the QBs, or at least he and McDermott have a clearly mapped out path of development for Allen.  

And I like that Daboll was in on that process of evaluating Allen.   If this goes right he'll be a head coach in a few years.   And I do believe Foster is a not so under the radar sleeper to make the 53.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 1:04 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. I think Foster has a great chance to make this team. I really think he just has to beat out Reilly, Streater, Dupre...not quite the biggest hill to climb. 

...4.41 forty an't too bad....

• Like (+1) 1

Happened to catch the interview with Chris Brown on One Bills Live Friday.  Chris said that Foster has impressed in practice and is a really good route runner.  He said Saban's knock on Foster was that he lacked Football IQ - the ability to slightly adjust routes slightly based on what he viewed from the D to get open.  Chris also said that Ray Ray McCloud has flashed some deep ability.  The interview is at about the 1 hour 40 minute of the show.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/OBL-68-AJ-McCarron-on-adjusting-to-Buffalo-Chris-Brown-on-Josh-Allen-at-OTAs/b6e2cdef-17c6-4b13-85a3-941e736b9a43

On 5/1/2018 at 6:56 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Kid had 35 catches for 389 yards and 3 TDs IN HIS CAREER.

Lets slow the hype train down a little bit, he'll be lucky to make the practice squad.

Yeah, I’m not sure I understand the hype around him. Very little production in college. I will admit that I only saw him play a few times, so my opinion doesn’t matter much. What is it that people see in Foster??

Just now, Maynard said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I understand the hype around him. Very little production in college. I will admit that I only saw him play a few times, so my opinion doesn’t matter much. What is it that people see in Foster??

He's pretty tall and reasonably fast. I am just surmising that Daboll thinks he has a shot and that is why we brought him in.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:46 PM, Soda Popinski said:

I kind of thought that was likely after watching 1 film clip of the QB in practice with Daboll this year

1 QB was throwing ducks and looked awkward in his drops. 

The other was smooth and throwing bullets. 

Looked up the numbers on the 'bama roster, Hurts = ducks.