[edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?

On 5/1/2018 at 6:51 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I like him. I think he definitely competes for time and I do hope he is good enough to start in the slot.

I don't think we should count the chickens before they hatch. Him and Ray Ray are long shots to make the squad let alone see the field.

Daboll is by far the biggest factor in this signing and why there is hope he makes the 53. For a guy that didn’t do much Daboll surely convinced Beane That Foster has the talent and Foster surely didn’t blame Daboll for his lack of field time and production as a senior at Alabama. 

Individually each of those things matter. The fact they both exist together with the signing is significant. He has a real chance. 

I think we are going to add a veteran speed WR that takes one of our spots. If we don’t, I think we go into the season with Foster on the roster, Ray Ray because he serves multiple purposes and Proehl on PS. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Daboll is by far the biggest factor in this signing and why there is hope he makes the 53. For a guy that didn’t do much Daboll surely convinced Beane That Foster has the talent and Foster surely didn’t blame Daboll for his lack of field time and production as a senior at Alabama. 

Individually each of those things matter. The fact they both exist together with the signing is significant. He has a real chance. 

I think we are going to add a veteran speed WR that takes one of our spots. If we don’t, I think we go into the season with Foster on the roster, Ray Ray because he serves multiple purposes and Proehl on PS. 

Duly noted Sir.

did you have a veteran of speed in mind ?

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Duly noted Sir.

did you have a veteran of speed in mind ?

Not really. Mike Wallace may be cut and I never loved him but he’s the kind of player they need. 

A lot of it it depends on what their plans are for this year. If they think AJ is their starter I don’t think anything they do matters. And the year is a wash. I think Allen starts day one. Then a speed guy is a necessity. Although, that said, you sign Dez and suddenly the defense can’t load the box and stop Shady. They HAVE to worry about Benjamin, Dez and big ass arm Allen. 

I think no matter who is starting Bills need to force a DB to cover a run fast and deep guy. And hopefully pull  a safety !
No matter who is at QB this season.

Bills have had the box loaded for two years now. Prove defenses wrong and loosen it up. WRs need to get over coverage once in awhile and earn some respect. been missing that

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think no matter who is starting Bills need to force a DB to cover a run fast and deep guy. And hopefully pull  a safety !
No matter who is at QB this season.

Bills have had the box loaded for two years now. Prove defenses wrong and loosen it up. WRs need to get over coverage once in awhile and earn some respect. been missing that

I don’t think teams will care if AJ is our QB. I think they will spend all of their time and resources on taking Shady out and make McCarron beat them deep. I personally don’t think he can or will. 

The best thing the Bills can do for Shady and their run game is to start Allen day one. I hope and predict they will. Wouldn’t bet on it. But imo it’s the only thing to do to win games this year. 

11 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I don't think we should count the chickens before they hatch. Him and Ray Ray are long shots to make the squad let alone see the field.

I hear you but I disagree. Receiver is one of the worst positions on this team. The only locks to me are Benjamin and Jones. Holmes probably makes it for special teams. I think Kerley makes it as well. Foster, Proehl, McCloud are competing with guys like Streater, Reilly, Dupre to make the team for the last 2/3 spots. I would not exactly call that a longshot. Plus Beane used draft picks on Proehl and McCloud and the Proehl pick was a sticking point in the Josh Allen trade. I think they ultimately keep: 

KB

Jones

Kerley ?

Holmes ?

Proehl

Foster

McCloud

Typically, they keep six, but I am keeping seven To me, McCloud is a return man who can play some reciever and be the third running back as well. I think he makes the team on versatility. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Kid had 35 catches for 389 yards and 3 TDs IN HIS CAREER.

Lets slow the hype train down a little bit, he'll be lucky to make the practice squad.

It’s hard to get touches at Alabama when the roster is so loaded with top talent.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Which, I guess, is another way of saying he isn't top talent?

You just don't know with players. Which is why I always say take the wait and see approach.

Foster will get his chance

Allen Hurns made his mark at UDFA in 2014 on a terrible Jacksonville WR corps. So, who knows.

• Like (+1) 2

Foster clearly has the talent to contribute.

As I said earlier in this thread, it really will come down to whether or not he can be a quality contributor on special teams. If so, he can carve out a spot on the 53 man roster. If not, he'll be a practice squad candidate at best.

One thing I've learned over the years is to not get my hopes up too high for "UDFA STEAL RECEIVERS!!!!!!!". Martin Nance, Da'Rick Rogers, and Brandon Reilly all say "hello".

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, napmaster said:

Didn't see this in the thread yet, so I'll add to the hype:

Why some teams didn't want Foster at the Combine:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/why_some_nfl_teams_didnt_want.html

One of Foster's nicknames at Alabama: "The Road Runner."

On a team full of fast players, Foster was arguably the fastest.

"He's a freakish athlete," Evans said. "He can do some things that, you'll look at some of these guys at the combine and be like 'OK, they're good' but then you'll see Robert and be like 'Why isn't he like top-five?' ... A lot of people are going to be surprised by what he does."

Which is why those NFL teams probably no longer believe that they'll be able to land Foster late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent.

So if teams did not knowledge of him in combine why did no one draft him?  Seems the writer as doing the agent's job pushing player.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:14 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He could play. 

SF signed him to a 3 year contract last spring, then cut him before the season.  Why?

Jets signed him.  He was suspended 4 games for PED and cut.

When he did play, wasn't he always on again off again?  Some weeks he looked great, others he couldn't hang onto anything?

Maybe they should do an eye test on him.

Why do I get impression when Beane signed him he told Brian Daboll:

I thought "What the hell, maybe he'd be useful to you like a gerbil." Never thought you'd pick him.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?
On 5/13/2018 at 2:49 PM, Logic said:

The thing that football fans always, always, always seem to forget about these Preseason UDFA star wide receivers is this: To make the roster as the 5th or 6th receiver, you HAVE to be able to play special teams. It's arguably more important than being able to contribute in the passing game. It's why Brandon Reilly spent last year on the practice squad rather than the active roster. He wasn't productive on special teams.

So in terms of Robert Foster, he'd better be ready to contribute on special teams. If he's not, he'd need to unseat one of Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, Holmes, or even the two drafted kids -- McCloud and Proehl. I'm not saying he can't do it. I hope he DOES do it. But he's got to contribute in two of the three facets of the game to stick.

Foster is 6'2" 194, I don't think he is competing against two undersized slot receivers. Who do we have on the outside?

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster is 6'2" 194, I don't think he is competing against two undersized slot receivers. Who do we have on the outside?

Agreed. I think Foster has a great chance to make this team. I really think he just has to beat out Reilly, Streater, Dupre...not quite the biggest hill to climb.