[edited title] Robert Foster, UDFA - Roster shot?

The biggest knock on Foster was he didn't take care of the ball after catch. He had 35 career receptions and fumbled 3 of them, losing 2. He could be a return man, but will likely just be a decoy to stretch the field so the Bills can throw underneath him. Assuming he makes the team.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:14 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He could play. 

SF signed him to a 3 year contract last spring, then cut him before the season.  Why?

Jets signed him.  He was suspended 4 games for PED and cut.

When he did play, wasn't he always on again off again?  Some weeks he looked great, others he couldn't hang onto anything?

The problem is that may actually qualify as a starter on our WR depth chart. 

1 hour ago, napmaster said:

Didn't see this in the thread yet, so I'll add to the hype:

Why some teams didn't want Foster at the Combine:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/02/why_some_nfl_teams_didnt_want.html

One of Foster's nicknames at Alabama: "The Road Runner."

On a team full of fast players, Foster was arguably the fastest.

Well, Foster did get an invite to the Combine, and no one drafted him.  If they get anything from him, it's gravy.

Say what you will, but he's worked with Daboll before which gives him a head start. He should already come,in with some knowledge of how Daboll runs his offense, terminology, responsibilities. I could see him playing early in the season while the other young WRs play catch up. Hopefully he works out.

Bills fans have fell in love with UDFA WR's before, only to have it blow up in their faces.

I hope you folks aren't guaranteeing him a roster spot like it has been done in the past with UDFA WR's.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Foster was assigned #8 by the Bills, but he wore #1 in college. Have the Bills ever assigned #1 to a player? I can't recall one. Is there a reason why?

When you asked, I couldn't remember any. Found this website to check however (I don't remember any of the three mentioned for jersey #1): http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/06/all-time_best_buffalo_bills_by_jersey_number_part_1_1-33.html

"1. Mike Hollis

Only three Bills have worn the No. 1--all kickers--so there's not too much to choose from. Mike Hollis only played the 2002 season in Buffalo, but he connected on 25-33 field goals and all 40 extra points. The others who donned the No. 1 jersey, Efren Herrera (8 of 14) and Benny Ricardo (1 of 4) all had far less success.

Years with team: 2002"

On 5/1/2018 at 5:14 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure Foster makes the team.  Not a productive guy in college, and the speed stuff is a bit overblown.  Of the long shots I think Cam Phillips has a better shot, but the competition in camp should be fun to watch.

He will make the team with no problem!

On 5/1/2018 at 12:07 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Remember last year in the preseason we were all clamouring for Brandon Reilly?

Did he actually do anything wrong?

i note now that no one is even projecting him to make 53..

Great point!

Did he date one of the coaches daughters?

I remember in those preseasons games, he caught everything thrown his way!

The thing that football fans always, always, always seem to forget about these Preseason UDFA star wide receivers is this: To make the roster as the 5th or 6th receiver, you HAVE to be able to play special teams. It's arguably more important than being able to contribute in the passing game. It's why Brandon Reilly spent last year on the practice squad rather than the active roster. He wasn't productive on special teams.

So in terms of Robert Foster, he'd better be ready to contribute on special teams. If he's not, he'd need to unseat one of Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, Holmes, or even the two drafted kids -- McCloud and Proehl. I'm not saying he can't do it. I hope he DOES do it. But he's got to contribute in two of the three facets of the game to stick.

• Like (+1) 2

On April 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM, jr1 said:

We all know how not-terribly-useful highlight reels are-- especially out of college. At best, they may show us what a players ceiling is. In the case of WRs, they may show you a player's ability to extend their body, or highpoint a ball. What I saw in this highlight reel was a lot of catches from throws that were right on the money, at not a particularly high velocity. I would rather see the throws he dropped-- I think that would be more enlightening.

Aw far as YAC, I think college reels are even less useful. I remember a lot of hay was made over Sammy Watkins ability for YAC. His highlight reel showed him knocking defenders on their ass in ways that just do not happen in the NFL. Secondary defenses are a whole other thing from college.

I think Foster's best chance of making the team comes from the fact that we are so dismally thin at the position. Be that as it may, I love it when UDFAs make the roster. I love the story.

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

The thing that football fans always, always, always seem to forget about these Preseason UDFA star wide receivers is this: To make the roster as the 5th or 6th receiver, you HAVE to be able to play special teams. It's arguably more important than being able to contribute in the passing game. It's why Brandon Reilly spent last year on the practice squad rather than the active roster. He wasn't productive on special teams.

So in terms of Robert Foster, he'd better be ready to contribute on special teams. If he's not, he'd need to unseat one of Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, Holmes, or even the two drafted kids -- McCloud and Proehl. I'm not saying he can't do it. I hope he DOES do it. But he's got to contribute in two of the three facets of the game to stick.

Great point.

2 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

me too, esp WR and OT

A lot of people are talking up Ike Boettger, and rightfully so. He could be a real find. But, I'm also really hoping that Gerhard De Beer turns into someone special. Maybe it will take a year on the PS, but people who know him are talking up his intelligence, and work ethic. But, holy smokes! 6'7", and 320lbs, and athletic???

Edited by Rocky Landing

On 5/1/2018 at 6:20 AM, Doc Brown said:

We should have the annual Da'Rick Rogers award for undrafted free agents we're intrigued by that end up not making the team.

One of my favorite yearly competitions !