Josh Allen - Game Film Links

Domdab99

59 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Just finished watching these edited game tapes with every Allen play on them:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football though. 

When it cane to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

Well, I like to think I'm man enough if I discover I'm wrong about something, and I think I'm wrong about Josh Allen. 

After going through these game tapes, listening to Dilfer, Palmer, etc., seeing Allen's life-story and what kind of man he is...I've to to say, I'm really excited about having Allen as the Bill's QB. The kid is amazing.

Some things I've seen over the last few days of study:

• Allen can obviously make any throw on the field.
  • His misses are almost always in a place where the defense cannot make a play on the ball.
  • His accuracy issues are inflated. According to the stats, Wyoming only dropped 6 passes all year - well, look at the game film - I can pick out at least 6 times A GAME that his receivers drop the damn ball - or are too damn slow to catch up to a well-thrown ball. 
  • His supporting cast was woefully slow and unimpressive. We know Allen has one of the quickest releases ever seen, yet he has to often wait for his receivers to get open before throwing the ball - putting him in more danger of being hit/sacked and/or throwing it into a crowd. 
  • HI OL was a freakin' sieve, he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 
  • His feet are INCREDIBLE. I'm not talking about his well-documented issues with footwork while passing - I'm talking about his ability to get out of trouble and gain yardage when there is none to be found. Just amazing athletic ability. And he had to use that ability a lot.
  • Sure, he air-mails a few here and there, but what QB doesn't? And he doesn't seem quite comfortable throwing swing passes, but that'll come. 

What I noticed more than anything was that Wyoming had ONE real player on the field - and that was obviously Allen. The running game was practically non-existent. Allen was the whole offense. 

Watch the Iowa game - the one BIG COLLEGE opponent they play. Wyoming is out-classed. But Allen is fine. He throws the ball where it's supposed to go, but gets no help from his teammates. they are slow and not as strong as Iowa, so they get swallowed up. 

Watch Texas State at 2:35 - he lofts a perfect ball to James Brice, but Brice can't catch up to the ball - he's not fast enough. It's like Allen has to hold back to get the ball to his guys sometimes. 

So what am I taking from all this? I also went back and looked at some of Carson Wentz's college games. I don't see much of a difference. While Allen is not quite the physical speciman Cam Newton is, it is obvious he has a much better arm and much better touch on the ball. 

Numbers don't lie. But they sometimes aren't the whole story. 

I was wrong.

And I cannot wait to see Josh Allen in a Bill's uniform. 

I will be a nice guy and take you off the hate list because it’s less than one week

????

• Haha (+1) 2

Great post... thanks for sharing.  I also didn't want Allen, based on the accuracy concerns.  I'll admit I didn't look that closely into the concerns, but I just saw it as a red flag.  But since the draft, I find myself amazed at how great a fit Allen is, and all the talent he brings to the table.  Looking forward to seeing him on the field!

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Just commenting because I literally read all this and got excited enough to dive into the pile of videos you have here.  2 plays into the first video and Allen has thrown a pick and ran around the corner and took a hit that will certainly shorten his NFL career if he does so with regularity and he's playing Utah State.  Judging from how excited you were/are I'm guessing it gets better but not what I expected so far.

That hit reminded me of the one Bledsoe took...the one that started the Tom Brady era.

19 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Thats prolly his worst tape. First year as starter though, but yeah wasnt a good game

See, I disagree. I think he was playing pretty well, but once the game was out of hand he had to force things. He's the whole offense, and their down by 24. It's ugly at the end, but he did lots of good things. He won't have to carry the whole team in the NFL.

I'm going on record as saying he will be one of the best QB's of his generation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I have seen this game pointed to as proof that he sucks. He is playing pretty damn good, but at the end of the game, the score is way out of hand, and he is forcing throws. He opens the game with a long string of completions. I'm not sure Tyrod has ever completed that many passes in a row on one drive.

Agreed.  Before the game got out of hand, I thought he played very well.  The pick six was a perfectly thrown ball that bounced out of the receiver’s hands.  I was also impressed with a few of his runs.  

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football though. 

When it cane to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

Well, I like to think I'm man enough if I discover I'm wrong about something, and I think I'm wrong about Josh Allen. 

After going through these game tapes, listening to Dilfer, Palmer, etc., seeing Allen's life-story and what kind of man he is...I've to to say, I'm really excited about having Allen as the Bill's QB. The kid is amazing.

• His misses are almost always in a place where the defense cannot make a play on the ball.
  • His accuracy issues are inflated. According to the stats, Wyoming only dropped 6 passes all year - well, look at the game film - I can pick out at least 6 times A GAME that his receivers drop the damn ball - or are too damn slow to catch up to a well-thrown ball. 
  • His supporting cast was woefully slow and unimpressive. We know Allen has one of the quickest releases ever seen, yet he has to often wait for his receivers to get open before throwing the ball - putting him in more danger of being hit/sacked and/or throwing it into a crowd. 
  • HI OL was a freakin' sieve, he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 
  • His feet are INCREDIBLE. I'm not talking about his well-documented issues with footwork while passing - I'm talking about his ability to get out of trouble and gain yardage when there is none to be found. Just amazing athletic ability. And he had to use that ability a lot.
  • Sure, he air-mails a few here and there, but what QB doesn't? And he doesn't seem quite comfortable throwing swing passes, but that'll come. 

What I noticed more than anything was that Wyoming had ONE real player on the field - and that was obviously Allen. The running game was practically non-existent. Allen was the whole offense. 

Watch the Iowa game - the one BIG COLLEGE opponent they play. Wyoming is out-classed. But Allen is fine. He throws the ball where it's supposed to go, but gets no help from his teammates. they are slow and not as strong as Iowa, so they get swallowed up. 

Watch Texas State at 2:35 - he lofts a perfect ball to James Brice, but Brice can't catch up to the ball - he's not fast enough. It's like Allen has to hold back to get the ball to his guys sometimes. 

So what am I taking from all this? I also went back and looked at some of Carson Wentz's college games. I don't see much of a difference. While Allen is not quite the physical speciman Cam Newton is, it is obvious he has a much better arm and much better touch on the ball. 

I was wrong.

I really appreciate your honesty and willingness to take another look at Allen. More and more people seem to be taking a second look and are not as down on the pick. I began watching games of all the prospects in January and Allen really stood out to me (rare physical traits jump out). However, many on the board thought he was a 3rd or 4th round talent. I started to question what exactly I was seeing in the games. As more and more draft pundits came out against Allen I really began to second guess my original opinion (that Allen is a top 10 talent with high upside). Following the Senior Bowl, I stopped paying attention to Allen because the buzz began that he would go to Cleveland. I went back to look at a few games leading up to draft when it was reported that the Bills had visited Allen in Wyoming and he was in for a pre-draft visit. I liked what I saw again but still assumed he would go to Cleveland. I actually ended up spending more time watching Darnold and Rudolph who I thought might have been our backup plan. 

In the end, I was happy the Bills drafted Allen and have gone back to watch many of his games again. I remain optimistic and share many of the same opinions you shared above. Statistics can be an excellent tool but they can be a little faulty at the college level for a variety of reasons. Welcome aboard the Allen train!

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

A thought just occurred to me that's kind of interesting:

Our first round picks, Allen and Edmunds, are both extremely young and raw in the game, but both have elite (like...possibly among the greatest of all time at their position) physical ability. Both of them have boom or bust potential. If both of them boom, though? The Bills could get pretty good pretty fast.

Thought this two, Beane used two first round picks to get the QB of the offense and the defense.

both are tremendous physical specimens the Bills need to coach up to overcome the flaws..

maybe that’s the process  

15 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

See, I disagree. I think he was playing pretty well, but once the game was out of hand he had to force things. He's the whole offense, and their down by 24. It's ugly at the end, but he did lots of good things. He won't have to carry the whole team in the NFL.

I'm going on record as saying he will be one of the best QB's of his generation.

Its not just forcing things, the picks he threw in that game were really bad. I dont think hes as badly inaccurate as most, but that wouldnt be the game id show to prove it

Edited by BillsSbSoon

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  Before the game got out of hand, I thought he played very well.  The pick six was a perfectly thrown ball that bounced out of the receiver’s hands.  I was also impressed with a few of his runs.  

If you were looking to like him, there were a lot of plays to love about him. And a bunch of poor ones. His line and receivers were awful though.

Hey, he's our guy now so I'm going to support him. But the sudden transformations I'm reading is reminiscent of St Paul's conversion. Really I think I need more than a couple days to backtrack 100% of the numerous red flags I see flying.

6 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Its not just forcing things, the picks he threw in that game were really bad. I dont think hes as badly inaccurate as most, but that wouldnt be the game id show to prove it

The first one looks bad. But if you realize that it was 4th and 14 and they went for it, it tells a different story. The second one was right in the receivers hands and he has to make that catch. The third one was bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

I was wrong.

Great post!! Did you see him at the senior Bowl?? Highly recommend watching. He looks like a star when paired with playmakers on offense and an offensive line that can withstand pressure for more than 2 seconds 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The first one looks bad. But if you realize that it was 4th and 14 and they went for it, it tells a different story. The second one was right in the receivers hands and he has to make that catch. The third one was bad.

I know it was 4th down. It wasnt that bad considering it was basically a punt. But yeah 2 of those picks were awful.

Allen was Wyoming's offense, he carried them on his back. In Buffalo he is going to be asked to do next to nothing. We made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor throwing for 2,800 yards and 14 TDs, all Allen has to do is throw for 20 TDs and limit turnovers and we should make the playoffs 2 years in a row.

We should have a strong defense and Allen has a way better supporting cast than he's ever had in his entire life. He's never had a running back like LeSean McCoy or receivers like Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin. Fans say our talent on offense is weak but to Allen this is like waking up on Christmas morning and gifts under his tree, he has never had this much talent to work with at any point in his career from the time he played in peewee through high school and college until now, he is gushing right now.

• Like (+1) 2