Alonzo Highsmith explains why he flipped from Darnold to Mayfield

That's kind of a ridiculous article. Someone tells him he should go ask Rosen's girlfriend, then he doesn't go ask her, but he thinks that's a bad sign? I am personal friends with both Troy Aikman's college GF of several years and Aaron Rodgers college gf of a few years, they are both awesome women, and I wouldn't take their word for whether they were good guys or not, or whether or not it was a good idea to draft them.

What happens when there are other alphas on the team?

The mojo crap is fine if the Browns are desperate for someone to lead that perennial loser, but to think one popular frat boy will make the difference in a mans world?

‘Then, what happens when the interceptions pile up and the whispers start?

Edited by George C
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's kind of a ridiculous article. Someone tells him he should go ask Rosen's girlfriend, then he doesn't go ask her, but he thinks that's a bad sign? I am personal friends with both Troy Aikman's college GF of several years and Aaron Rodgers college gf of a few years, they are both awesome women, and I wouldn't take their word for whether they were good guys or not, or whether or not it was a good idea to draft them.

I can tell you this...I know people who know Rosen personally, not one of them says anything positive about him as a person.  They all say the same thing, he is a total deuche and has been for years.  And they know even more people who know him and again say the same thing.  There are a lot of people who just flat out don't like him, and its a pretty well known thing here around LA.  

Thats my issue with his character.  He's a fake tough guy competitor.  He sulks when he doesnt get his way.  Even in his post draft comments he talked about how he was mad he didnt go in top 3 then tuned out the rest of the draft with plans to fake a smile.  He's mentally weak, self absorbed, and seems to care more about himself than his teammates.  Baker on the other hand is a true fiery competitor that people rally behind.  

Who knows what happens in the future, but I felt Baker was the best QB prospect in the draft, and Rosen would be the last of the big 4 drafted.  And in the end, thats what happened. But none of it matters at all anymore, all that matters is how these guys do on the field.  And while Rosen reminds me more of Jeff George, Jay Cutler, and Ryan Leaf in terms of his personality and mental make up, it doesn't mean I am right about it.  But its concerning when so many people are turned off by him and teams need to research how to "manage" his personality and "get through" to him.  

I think the biggest risk with his personality is how he will handle the inevitable adversity he will face as a young player.  I dont have much confidence he will do well with it.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can tell you this...I know people who know Rosen personally, not one of them says anything positive about him as a person.  They all say the same thing, he is a total deuche and has been for years.  And they know even more people who know him and again say the same thing.  There are a lot of people who just flat out don't like him, and its a pretty well known thing here around LA.  

Thats my issue with his character.  He's a fake tough guy competitor.  He sulks when he doesnt get his way.  Even in his post draft comments he talked about how he was mad he didnt go in top 3 then tuned out the rest of the draft with plans to fake a smile.  He's mentally weak, self absorbed, and seems to care more about himself than his teammates.  Baker on the other hand is a true fiery competitor that people rally behind.  

Who knows what happens in the future, but I felt Baker was the best QB prospect in the draft, and Rosen would be the last of the big 4 drafted.  And in the end, thats what happened. But none of it matters at all anymore, all that matters is how these guys do on the field.  And while Rosen reminds me more of Jeff George, Jay Cutler, and Ryan Leaf in terms of his personality and mental make up, it doesn't mean I am right about it.  But its concerning when so many people are turned off by him and teams need to research how to "manage" his personality and "get through" to him.  

I think the biggest risk with his personality is how he will handle the inevitable adversity he will face as a young player.  I dont have much confidence he will do well with it.  

So IOW, a Jay Cutler clone?

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I live in LA too and know a bunch of serious UCLA fans and most of them loved him, and don't think he is a douche at all. It depends on whether or not you think a guy that speaks his mind is a douche. Not to mention that it was a fact that Kelly, Thurman, Andre and Bruce were all douches and egomaniacs coming out of college and well into their careers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I think its interesting to know how they had them ranked. I don't think its cool to **** on a kid after you pass on him. 

Even after getting Allen, Beane still won't give you the order of how he ranked the QBs, which is fine. You want everyone to believe you got your guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

So IOW, a Jay Cutler clone?

Yup...the two guys he reminds me the most of are Jay Cutler and Jeff George.  Guys who had all the tools but personalities and mental make up just weren't there.  I think those guys are his ceiling personally, and thats not a bad career per se, but also not exactly the bench mark you look for when taking a QB top 10.  Neither of those guys really put what they needed to put in to be great either, something else thats questioned about Rosen...his desire and love for the game to be great.  

I wouldn't have been upset if we drafted him, even though I would still have the same concerns.  He still has a lot of upside like any of the top QB prospects did.  But he was the guy that I felt had the most risks of the top 4 between this issue and the durability concerns.  But now...F him, he isn't a Bill hahaha.   Go Allen, F Rosen.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Even after getting Allen, Beane still won't give you the order of how he ranked the QBs, which is fine. You want everyone to believe you got your guy.

Bean has said that they had a few guys they liked and would have taken. Im sure Darnold would have been the guy if they had the first pick. 

And Highsmith shouldn't go around badmouthing kids in college, he was one of the Miami Hurricanes who wore army fatigues to the Fiesta Bowl National Championship game because they thought they were warriors, then got embarrassed and lost to Penn State 14-10. Miami may have had the best team of all time and were punks.

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I live in LA too and know a bunch of serious UCLA fans and most of them loved him, and don't think he is a douche at all. It depends on whether or not you think a guy that speaks his mind is a douche. Not to mention that it was a fact that Kelly, Thurman, Andre and Bruce were all douches and egomaniacs coming out of college and well into their careers.

I am sure there are a lot of people who think highly of him...but the point is, he has created a divide with his personality, where you didnt have that with the other prospects.  So that alone adds a layer of risk.  

Again, all the prospects had pros and cons, not just Rosen.  But the reason people dont like him isnt because he speaks his mind, its his me first attitude that people see in him.  

37 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

How do you meet two beards like that? Is there a hotline?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am sure there are a lot of people who think highly of him...but the point is, he has created a divide with his personality, where you didnt have that with the other prospects.  So that alone adds a layer of risk.  

Again, all the prospects had pros and cons, not just Rosen.  But the reason people dont like him isnt because he speaks his mind, its his me first attitude that people see in him.  

He worked his ass off, was fearless under the rush, and got murdered on and for that team. Never did a thing selfish on the field. Was VERY prepared, super smart, studied film. The "selfish" is just stupid criticism. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He worked his ass off, was fearless under the rush, and got murdered on and for that team. Never did a thing selfish on the field. Was VERY prepared, super smart, studied film. The "selfish" is just stupid criticism. 

And yet others dont feel the same.  So theres that.  And 5 teams in the top 9 picks who could use a QB, 3 of which drafted one, also passed on him.  So theres that too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, jmc12290 said:

How do you meet two beards like that? Is there a hotline?

They are both truly awesome. One is the sister of Rick Neuheisel and was part of my pack of friends when I lived in Phoenix, and the other married a buddy of mine from Newport Beach.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

And yet others dont feel the same.  So theres that.  

Don't feel the same about what? Name one time that he was "selfish" in a game or that affected the team. He was the complete opposite. Abused his body for the team.

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I know, right? 

" Highsmith did lots of traveling to prepare for the draft. “I was at an airport,” he said. “UCLA’s volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He’s this or that. We all know how people talk. “So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, ‘What’s Rosen like?’ He said, ‘Aaaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She’s one of the players. She’s over there.’ “I’m like, ‘All right coach. That’s good enough.’ “I don’t know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me.”

Literally "something about him that bothered me".  If this is the best effort of a high-level NFL FO scouting executive, the "right hand man" to the GM, I gotta say I'm kind of under-impressed here.  Maybe it's a good thing for Green Bay that Dorsey "lured him away"

• Like (+1) 2