The Most Scathing Draft Review You’ll Find- Rotoworld’s Evan Silva Rips Into Class and McDermott’s Personnel Evaluations

On 4/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, The 9 Isles said:

He is also an a-hole that battled with some Bills fans on twitter a while back. He is a thin skinned baby that holds grudges. Who cares what that baby says? 

If i recall correctly i think he is a big tyrod fan too so of course he will disagree and hate on everything the bills do

21 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

It was an uninspiring draft for a regime that continues to ship out talented players in favor of "their guys".

Their guy's include Benjamin(bad knees for a 3rd), Tolbert(couldn't have gone worse), and Star (look what the analytics say). 

This is not a very analytical staff and when your top message is culture you are simply not dedicated to building the most talented roster needed to compete year in and year out. 

Their "try hard" roster will get beat up and their jobs will be handed off in 2 years to someone interested in acquiring talent.

You sure do like to complain alot and about everything, even stuff that hasnt happened yet. Keep up the good work

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2018 at 7:05 AM, HiddenInLight said:

I'm sorry but that little blerb makes him sound like a petulant baby just because he doesn't like Josh Allen.  Whatever happened to professionalism in major sports news outlets?

Hahahaha!  And integrity?  Bwahahaha!

21 hours ago, bouds said:

Silva is definitely terrible, passive aggressive and sometimes just flat out aggressive, I don't understand why some of these guys behave this way.  I understand that they're inundated with stupidity but what do expect when you're dealing with the lowest common denominator on twitter?   That said, I do agree that we were a bit reckless with this draft, especially given our needs, so I agree with him in many many ways.  Does seem like he has an ax to grind with our front office.  It's weird, some guys (Greg Gabriel immediately comes to mind) drink the McBeane koolaid by the buckets, while a select few hate what we're doing.  Can't win them all.   

silva_twitter.thumb.jpg.71060ef9fd4fd23af0537c6a896794b4.jpg

silva_twitter2.thumb.jpg.254997f9a742723d5e52e5586dc88e95.jpg

I've yet to see Beane do a single smart thing. And his biggest decision so far has been to trade up for Josh Allen. You can't blindly trust these poorly-run orgs. Examine their moves for yourself.

Silva doesn't give Beane any credit for getting surprisingly good value on parting with a player like Glenn, whom I almost assumed had negative value considering what's left on his contract and the last two injury-riddled seasons.  And in retrospect there's no denying Beane got good value for Watkins and- probably a little less so- Darby.  

I think we significantly overpaid for Star and Chris Ivory is just a younger and slightly more useful Mike Tolbert, IMO.  But the Murphy contract was fairly commensurate to his worth and Vontae Davis was worth the one-year "gamble" at that price.

I haven't been wowed by Beane, but it isn't fair or accurate to say he hasn't done "a single smart thing."

Edited by Midwest1981

6 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

I've yet to see Beane do a single smart thing. And his biggest decision so far has been to trade up for Josh Allen. You can't blindly trust these poorly-run orgs. Examine their moves for yourself.

Silva doesn't give Beane any credit for getting surprisingly good value on parting with a player like Glenn, whom I almost assumed had negative value considering what's left on his contract and the last two injury-riddled seasons.  And in retrospect there's no denying Beane got good value for Watkins and- probably a little less so- Darby.  

I think we significantly overpaid for Star and Chris Ivory is just a younger and slightly more useful Mike Tolbert, IMO.  But the Murphy contract was fairly commensurate to his worth and Vontae Davis was worth the one-year "gamble" at that price.

I haven't been wowed by Beane, but it isn't fair or accurate to say he hasn't done "a single smart thing."

Who cares. This Silva guy is a giant douche bag who has a bug up his butt about the Bills. Big whoop.

• Like (+1) 1

bills fans have a problem w criticism.  It’s just an opinion. Calm down. So sick of hearing how we got our franchise qb before this dude even throws a football in camp.  Who the hell knows what we got.  I do know we gave up 2 other potential starters to get him. 

On 4/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a bidding war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now you are still targeting the same guy at 7 and now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

They "overpaid" because they were about to lose him to the Cards.  If you believe that you could be getting your franchise QB and you trade away 2 2nds to get him along with a 1st rounder, I would say that is not too much to give up.

They didn't overpay but if they would of let the Cards take Allen Rosen would have feel right in our laps at 12. Even if we moved up to 10 to get Rosen it would of costed at the most a 4th rd pk. So at the end of the day Rosen and 2 2s or the project Allen and no 2s i think most Bills fans would of liked scenario 1 more. 

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

bills fans have a problem w criticism.  It’s just an opinion. Calm down. So sick of hearing how we got our franchise qb before this dude even throws a football in camp.  Who the hell knows what we got.  I do know we gave up 2 other potential starters to get him. 

There's nothing bothersome or injurious about it, personally- I just thought it was an interesting take.  And one shared by others, correctly or incorrectly, seeing as though a few 2019 mocks have us drafting in the top-10 (Rotoworld even has us possessing the top overall pick).

Silva is certainly wrong in this instance for failing to see that it was only a finite amount of draft picks, plus a lack of cap space, for failing to upgrade the weaponry around Allen or the line that's blocking for him.

It will be malpractice if Beane doesn't massively address those needs next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

ALLEN > Rosen.  Rosen is small in stature over played underwhelming child who is immobile and injury prone. Not to mention a pompous ass and a locker room killer.  The concern on Allen is accuracy which is based on people ONLY looking at his completion percentage. Not looking at the talent around him, the weather conditions, the nature of each pass like throwing a ball away to avoid a sack. A throw + a catch = a completion so before you claim he is inaccurate you need to watch EVERY game, EVERY throw and see if anyone was open and did the receiver drop the ball. 

Edited by Tatonka68

Well Silva is certainly sticking his neck, and other parts, out there. He's going to look awfully silly if these players he's railing against play well. Not that anyone will remember.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

24 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

ALLEN > Rosen.  Rosen is small in stature over played underwhelming child who is immobile and injury prone. Not to mention a pompous ass and a locker room killer.  The concern on Allen is accuracy which is based on people ONLY looking at his completion percentage. Not looking at the talent around him, the weather conditions, the nature of each pass like throwing a ball away to avoid a sack. A throw + a catch = a completion so before you claim he is inaccurate you need to watch EVERY game, EVERY throw and see if anyone was open and did the receiver drop the ball. 

You are accentuating the negative on Rosen just as those who dislike Allen throw shade to justify a very negative interpretation of Allen's potential.  OTOH, I do think Allen is worth the risk and the potential flaws with Rosen you indicate are real.

I dont see how the draft could be poor.  Only way is pre concieved bias.  Regardless of ones personal opionions Allen was rated as 1 of the top 4 Qbs with a range of where he falls depending on preference.  Buffalo had their pick of either Josh and went with Allen.  Small town kid from Wyoming seems like a perfect fit in Buffalo.  Based off of two trade ups its unlikley he is available at 12.  The next largest need of the starting 22 was linebaker.  They move from 22 to 16 and take the second or top rated linebaker in the draft.  Many would consider Edmunds one of the Blue chip prospects in the entire draft.  Coming off a playoff berth, in round 1 they fill their largest holes.  Neither would be considered "reaches" both are considered to have the most potential than any other player at thier positions.  

Going into day 3 and 4 the remaining needs are dl oline wr and secondary depth.  Round 3 they got an immediate contributor to the interior dline.  He would have started last year now he will rotate with Star and Kwilliams.  Run defense was terrible at spots NYj, New Orleans.   Johnson could become nickel, Tellar could become a starter at guard or dress on game day.  Neal adds good depth to a thin saftey group.  Wr was not totally addressed which is true.  But the draft was weak at wr so I can understand if Buffalo took players they liked more and rated higher.  

So the only spot not solidified was Wr, in a touted poor wr draft.  The role needed is a deep threat.  Ginn should be proof that a vetran with speed can fill that role.  Based off what Buffalo needed and what they got I think the draft was an absolute win.  Buffalo's top 3 picks are as good or better than any teams.  Nit picking on day 3 is just that nit picking.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:21 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Well Silva is certainly sticking his neck, and other parts, out there. He's going to look awfully silly if these players he's railing against play well. Not that anyone will remember.

The fact that he cites the Bucs as a team that is doing things the right way tells you all you need to know about this clown.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

They didn't overpay but if they would of let the Cards take Allen Rosen would have feel right in our laps at 12. Even if we moved up to 10 to get Rosen it would of costed at the most a 4th rd pk. So at the end of the day Rosen and 2 2s or the project Allen and no 2s i think most Bills fans would of liked scenario 1 more. 

I think you’re wrong

I dunno, I think Rodger Sherman's review was a little more scathing:

"The red flags of draft QBs, all of which must apparently be treated equally:
MAYFIELD: too short to play QB in NFL?
ROSEN: too smart to play QB in NFL?
JACKSON: too fast, why put him at QB in the NFL?
ALLEN: cannot throw football to other football players"

You've also got his in depth review:

"
I would consider any team that used a first-round pick on Josh Allen to be the biggest loser of the first round. No good NFL quarterback has ever had statistics as bad as Allen’s college stats; his best-case statistical comparables include Brian Griese and Josh McCown.

There are just so many videos of him missing easy passes so badly. Sure, his arm is strong enough that teams should value his potential, but “extremely strong quarterback who may never learn how to throw to receivers” seems to me like a Day 3 pick, not a first-rounder. I remain baffled that he was treated like a top prospect throughout the entire draft process.

But the Bills didn’t just draft Allen. They traded up to get him, giving up two second-round picks to move up five spots. That’s a massive overpay on any draft value chart. And then the Bills also traded a third-rounder to the Ravens to move up from the 22nd pick to the 16th to select Tremaine Edmunds.

Trading up is the move of a team in win-now mode. The Bills did so—but they selected a quarterback whose supporters even consider him a project. That doesn’t jibe. I’m so happy that the Bills got to the playoffs last year, and so confused about their future."

Edited by BigDingus

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I dunno, I think Rodger Sherman's review was a little more scathing:

"The red flags of draft QBs, all of which must apparently be treated equally:
MAYFIELD: too short to play QB in NFL?
ROSEN: too smart to play QB in NFL?
JACKSON: too fast, why put him at QB in the NFL?
ALLEN: cannot throw football to other football players"

Ouch. That hurts a lot coming from him.

Rodger is a recently graduated Northwestern journalism student whose expertise is sub-par basketball on the college, pro, and intramural levels. He likes Ghostface and Left Hand Milk Stout.

HEADSHOT-v4-vox_0008_rodger-sherman-2.0.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Ouch. That hurts a lot coming from him.

Rodger is a recently graduated Northwestern journalism student whose expertise is sub-par basketball on the college, pro, and intramural levels. He likes Ghostface and Left Hand Milk Stout.

HEADSHOT-v4-vox_0008_rodger-sherman-2.0.

And this is Evan Silva (OP's guy)... Not like one is more intimidating than the other, nor does one's appearance mean they're any more or less intelligent/accurate than the other.

Many well respected "experts" and pundits haven't even played at the college or pro levels. On the other hand, sometimes there are guys from one sport who become analysts for other sports they weren't involved with. Hell, our very own Marcellus Wiley talks up basketball all the time. I hear him on ESPN radio making predictions and discussing opinions on NBA events daily.

My original point was there are many "scathing" reviews for the Allen pick, and it's easy to see why. You can be the biggest Allen supporter ever and still acknowledge the fact that he's got the most red flags and needs the most development time.

Silva.jpg

Edited by BigDingus