The Most Scathing Draft Review You’ll Find- Rotoworld’s Evan Silva Rips Into Class and McDermott’s Personnel Evaluations

Silva is a notoriously difficult grader, anyway, but this is a particularly scathing review. I don’t agree with all of it (though I agree 12, 53, & 56 was an exorbitant cost for 7), but I do have to say that I sure hope the Bills’ plan is to give Allen the Goff/Trubisky treatment. What I mean is giving him the superb coaching, receiving options, and line protection the Rams and Bears have made a conscious and concerted point to do the last two offseasons.

Right now Allen has very little of what he’ll need to succeed- and he already has some individual development to do, of course.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/79600/174/2018-afc-draft-grades?pg=1

Edited by Midwest1981

The word is that the Bills were in a bidding war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now you are still targeting the same guy at 7 and now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

They "overpaid" because they were about to lose him to the Cards.  If you believe that you could be getting your franchise QB and you trade away 2 2nds to get him along with a 1st rounder, I would say that is not too much to give up.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This draft hinges on the success of Josh Allen.  Period.

As a prospect, Allen is one of the most polarizing Quarterbacks to come out of college in decades. 

Some people saw him as the #1 QB in the draft.  Others thought he should have been a Day 3 pick. 

So it's not surprising that everyone's draft reviews are going to reflect their opinion on Allen. 

Guys who had Allen ranked high are giving us A+ grades.  Guys who had Allen ranked low are giving us D- and F grades.

• Like (+1) 6

The idiot didn't even like the Edmunds pick.

He can go jump off a bridge with his stupid evaluation.

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

As a prospect, Allen is one of the most polarizing Quarterbacks to come out of college in decades. 

Some people saw him as the #1 QB in the draft.  Others thought he should have been a Day 3 pick. 

So it's not surprising that everyone's draft reviews are going to reflect their opinion on Allen. 

Guys who had Allen ranked high are giving us A+ grades.  Guys who had Allen ranked low are giving us D- and F grades.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why people seem to not take this into account.

• Like (+1) 1

It won't be long and you will hear about how the Arizona Cardinals coveted Josh Allen and how they were pissed about missing out on him.  Sure they will tell their fans that Josh Rosen is the guy they coveted, but the guy they wanted was Josh Allen.  I have 0 problem with Beane using #12 and the two 2nd round picks because that is the reason he acquired those picks, so NO ONE, including the Arizona Cardinals, could match him.  He even had an extra 1st if he needed to change things up and offer a different combo.  Beane mastered this draft and got his franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 3

This is it...

These talking heads are just trying to defend their own rankings. Their job is less accurate than a meteorologists so they  constantly have to defend their opinions and deflect what they got wrong.

High graders are hoping Allen works out and they look smart, low graders hope he busts. Confirmation bias at it finest.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a trading war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now all of a sudden you are still targeting the same guy at 7 but now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

They "overpaid" because they were about to lose him to the Cards.  If you believe that you could be getting your franchise QB and you trade away 2 2nds to get him along with a 1st rounder, I would say that is not too much to give up.

Exactly.  the market sets the price, the chart is just a guideline to relative value.  It seems that a lot of these draft experts don't do a lot of dynamic or situational thinking.  Like how much is a glass of water worth to a thirsty man in the desert vs. somebody on the Titanic?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I ageree, but that attitude is just absurd (but then so is grading drafts instantly). Frankly, I don't love the Allen pick, and if that was the only choice, or even the only first round choice, they made, I'd get giving them a C or lower; however, they also picked up the top linebacker in the draft, with a top ten grade from pretty much everyone, at 16, and a guy sometimes mocked in the 1st round at the end of the 3rd round. Ok, I get that it is "all about the QB," but by that logic, why grade anyone, because they should have taken a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a trading war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now all of a sudden you are still targeting the same guy at 7 but now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

I pretty much predicted the crap storm that would ensue after this draft. Too many divergent opinions on who the QB ought to be.

Of course I love the hypocrisy over the picks that were traded to move up. All I heard going in was no price was too high for your franchise QB. "Trade every pick if you have to! No other position matters! What are you saving those picks for anyway?" It's hard to take anything seriously anymore.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I pretty much predicted the crap storm that would ensue after this draft. Too many divergent opinions on who the QB ought to be.

Of course I love the hypocrisy over the picks that were traded to move up. All I heard going in was no price was too high for your franchise QB. "Trade every pick if you have to! No other position matters! What are you saving those picks for anyway?" It's hard to take anything seriously anymore.

I dont think any of us that were in the "Trade up and get your guy!" camp would say we overpaid. Heck, I cant believe we managed to pull it off with only trading away 2 2nds!

I was personally leaning towards Rosen, just because he seems to be the most "pro-ready", but at the end of the day I just wanted a chance to get the guy we wanted and not whoever was left over.

End of the day, The Bills got a QB in the Top 10 with their 1st overall pick. That has never been said before, and IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!! Cant wait to see Allen and McCarron battle in camp. Go Bills!

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think any of us that were in the "Trade up and get your guy!" camp would say we overpaid. Heck, I cant believe we managed to pull it off with only trading away 2 2nds!

I was personally leaning towards Rosen, just because he seems to be the most "pro-ready", but at the end of the day I just wanted a chance to get the guy we wanted and not whoever was left over.

End of the day, The Bills got a QB in the Top 10 with their 1st overall pick. That has never been said before, and IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!! Cant wait to see Allen and McCarron battle in camp. Go Bills!

My comments were directed at Jeremy White. The WGR morning weathervane.

Just now, Ifartalot said:

What Arizona gave up to  trade up for Rosen did make it look like the Bills overpaid for Allen.

To be fair at that point they had already lost the bidding war, so were likely able to negotiate down the price, with nobody else looking to trade up, which is what happened with the bills.  As much as it sucks to give so much value up for the move, I completely understand why they did it.

• Like (+1) 3

draft is over, it is what it is. anything reported, opinions (including my own) on this board can all be taken with a grain of salt.

the proof is in the pudding and we'll find out soon enough if they picked the right players or not. until then I could care less what some cat on rotoworld has to say.

• Like (+1) 2

Meanwhile, Mike Mayock has us taking 2 of his top 11 players (Allen and Edmunds).  If you leave a draft with two top 11 players, with picks 12 and 22 to start, you win.  

Also, Edmunds is a top 4 talent on many people's board.  Getting him at 16 was a steal, as was Phillips in the 3rd.  It's like we didn't need those 2nd rounders that we "overpaid" for.  

I've been a HUGE critic of drafting Allen.  By every metric he will be a top tier backup at best.  Hopefully those metrics are wrong, or AJ goes nuts this year, keeps Allen on the bench and we trade Allen in a year or 2 for a 1st and 2nd.  

Overall, I'd give us an A.  Esp. when you consider the UDFA haul we pulled in.  

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

What Arizona gave up to  trade up for Rosen did make it look like the Bills overpaid for Allen.

Perhaps Rosen isn't worth nearly the assets as Allen?  Several have said that AZ also coveted Allen...

Good news, we gonna find out over the next few years! :beer: