4-30: Brandon Beane on WGR - Allen Begins as the Number 3 QB

4-30: Bills' GM Brandon Beane on WGR (22:36)

#Bills general manager Brandon Beane joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR!

Beane - Josh is big, strong, and athletic. He had to earn everything, he earned his spot on Wyoming's team. He was that team. I get the stats, but there were games where he barely threw the ball. He's more than just a passer, he's a complete player. #Bills

Beane - I think he is Buffalo. The fans will realize why we picked him. He will have to earn everything and work hard to play for the #Bills.

Beane - we looked at all of these guys, looking at their progressions and where these guys go. Josh has done that in college. We put each of the QBs through mental testing while meeting with them, and Josh did very well. #Bills

Beane - we really liked Josh Allen. We liked the other QBs too, but we knew he was a fit here as a person and a player. He had a lot of things that we liked, but we felt if we got Josh, we'll have a good fit here. #Bills

Beane - The Pegulas were here for support and to meet Josh. If he earns his way to the No. 1 QB spot, he will be the face of the franchise. That's important from the ownership's standpoint. It was my decision in the end on which QB we took, and I understand what goes with that.

Beane - Allen will come in as the No. 3 QB on the roster. McCarron and Peterman will be ahead of them. Allen has some catching up to do. He ends up winning the starting job, but everything is a competition. #Bills

Beane - Allen will come in as the No. 3 QB on the roster. McCarron and Peterman will be ahead of them. Allen has some catching up to do. If he ends up winning the starting job, he wins the job. Everything is a competition. #Bills

Beane - Allen lost sight of what he should have been deleting with the tweets. He was embarrassed about them, but he didn't make excuses. He understands he will have to come in here and set the record straight with his teammates. #Bills

Beane - we talked about the situation before the draft, and we all felt comfortable with the situation. #Bills

Beane - this was not a strong WR class to begin with. It started to drop off after the first few guys. We were looking for some more weapons, but we had to trust our board. #Bills

Beane - We're not done. We're continuing to look and get some weapons on offense before our first game in September. ##Bills

Beane - Tremaine is a great, young man. Very mature for a 19-year-old. We do have a hole at LB. I think he will come in and help very quickly, but he will have to earn it. #Bills

Beane on not selecting a WR earlier: “It wasn’t a strong receiver class. We would’ve liked to have added more weapons. But we wanted to stay true to our board.” Said he didn’t want to miss taking another good player just because they wanted a WR.

Beane on Allen - "He wasn't the only guy that we'd have been happy to take".

That's...revealing.

If happy to take someone further down the board, you probably don't trade up.

Beane - Dez Bryant is a very good player. He may not be the same player he was five years ago, but he's still a very good player. It's something we'll talk about. #Bills

Beane - It is a sense of relief that we were able to make the playoffs, deal with our salary cap, and now we're heading in the right direction. Happy we didn't have to deal any of the picks in the 2019 NFL Draft. #Bills

Beane - we really haven't focued on Kelvin Benjamin's contract situatuion. We'll see how he fits in with Daboll's offense and the quarterbacks over the summer, and then we'll go from there. #Bills

Beane - two of the teams we spoke to wanted multiple first rounders in a trade up in the #NFLDraft. That was off the table, especially the 2019 1st round pick. #Bills

Beane - Tremaine Edmunds was just too good of a value player to not go up and get him where we did. #Bills

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 8

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 4-30: Brandon Beane on WGR

After listening to Brandon Beane this morning... I'm proud to say I was right! Allen wasn't they guy...he was one of their guy's. Me & Jeremy White was pretty much on the same page. I've posted PLENTY of times that I believe it was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen then Allen (which I had wrong cause he clearly had Allen over Rosen).  But when I said did they get their guy....this forum blew up! & said I was wrong for saying that. 

When you've been apart of this game as long as I have... you can read things that the normal fan doesn't even know what to look for. Thank you Beane for making my point!

& he also confirm what I said, The Giants, Browns, Broncos & Colts were not trading cause they're guys was on the board!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

After listening to Brandon Beane this morning... I'm proud to say I was right! Allen wasn't they guy...he was one of their guy's. Me & Jeremy White was pretty much on the same page. I've posted PLENTY of times that I believe it was Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen then Allen (which I had wrong cause he clearly had Allen over Rosen).  But when I said did they get their guy....this forum blew up! & said I was wrong for saying that. 

When you've been apart of this game as long as I have... you can read things that the normal fan doesn't even know what to look for. Thank you Beane for making my point!

& he also confirm what I said, The Giants, Browns, Broncos & Colts were not trading cause they're guys was on the board!

You should start a new thread and label it "victory lap"

seriously, do it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane on Allen - "He wasn't the only guy that we'd have been happy to take".

That's...revealing.

If happy to take someone further down the board, you probably don't trade up.

Thanks for posting this transcript.

I read the quoted as Allen was their highest rated QB realistically available when the Bills could get him.  The others they were "happy to take" were fall back options.  

• Like (+1) 6

29 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

It wasn't Rosen or they would have taken him.  I don't think Mayfield was in their plan either.  To me, Darnold was the only other top guy they were going to take.

• Like (+1) 6

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 4-30: Brandon Beane on WGR - Allen Begins as the Number 3 QB

Bills GM Beane: Josh Allen Will Begin as No. 3 QB

The Buffalo Bills traded up to obtain the services of Josh Allen. The team won't hand the rookie the starting gig right off the bat, however.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Buffalo Bills traded up to obtain the services of Josh Allen. The team won't hand the rookie the starting gig right off the bat, however.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

If he can not get past Peterman quickly... the fan base is entitled to panic a bit

Those Dez comments certainly seem different than the other quote from him saying something to the effect of "We watched him on tape, we don't need to go any further".

I'm glad to hear him address the lack of attention on the skill positions, other than at the tail end of the draft.  Bottom line, not every position can be addressed, he did very well to get one of the top 4 QBs, a player viewed as a top ~10 position player by the majority of analysts, a Kyle Williams clone, a Richie clone and some well regarded DBs without touching future draft capital.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

It wasn't Rosen or they would have taken him.  I don't think Mayfield was in their plan either.  To me, Darnold was the only other top guy they were going to take.

And they will have years to regret it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If he can not get past Peterman quickly... the fan base is entitled to panic a bit

He will pass Peterman on the depth chart between the time he cocks his arm to throw his first pass in rookie mini camp and it gets within a yard of its target. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

At least he's ahead of the kid from Shippensburg.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Thanks for letting all us normal fans know that

darnold was probably their first choice

they probably would have started anyone they drafted at number 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He specifically mentioned Robert Foster as a standout UDFA which makes me think he has a good chance of sticking around, especially with the Daboll connection.

How does he have a better chance at sticking then the two WRs the Bills actually picked ahead of him, no way al three are going to stick.

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

So .... how long you been speaking English?

53 minutes ago, yungmack said:

At least he's ahead of the kid from Shippensburg.

Who said? Could be AJ, kid from Shippensburg, Josh, then Nate.

The kid from Shippensburg could have been the guy all along and Josh was just the smokescreen....

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Haha (+1) 1