[edited] Brandon Reilly - Speedy WR with a Roster Shot?

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes he is getting cut omfg

As crazy as that sounds...yes it might actually be true

The bills have not been aggressive in the WR market at all....Kerley probably the biggest addition (and by the looks of things is setting into that slot wr position quite nicely)

Reilly looks like a outside receiver to me.....he is big strong catches everything....ran a 4.42 so he had speed.

He is gonna get his shot

I'm right with you,I think Kerley is the sleeper in the large group.....i'm expecting him to be out next Woods,who was sorely missed last year.

4 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I agree. The Bills are desperate at WR.

Even the walk on concessions guy has a 50/50 shot to make the roster. 

Could be worse. They could sign one of the drunk Canadians in parking lot during preseason games.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I was just making a joke and you had to go personal....

Sorry thought you were serious since everybody is saying our WRs are bad.

And technically yours WAS personal; my nephew works concessions during game.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Big "Life of" Reilly fan.  Hope he makes it among all these has beens and never wases.

...just a wild and unsubstantiated hunch without turning this into another TT debate (68,741 threads already).........don't see where the passing game would become a viable threat, especially downfield which means WR's...forget the "they suck" crap.....they were INACTIVE most Sundays.....so by not activating Reilly, I do not believe he gets credit for an accrued season which (I think) means his RFA status gets extended for another year....IF (BIG IF) this is correct, he can play a role in 2018 with McCarron, Allen & Peterman hopefully to make the passing game a viable offensive threat, especially downfield......

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry thought you were serious since everybody is saying our WRs are bad.

And technically yours WAS personal; my nephew works concessions during game.

Can you ask him for me how it was working with Josh Allen??

Kidding

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I think everyone here wants to see Reilly make the team and have a Theilen like impact. I am not sure he will though. He was on the roster for the last 4 or 5 games last season and didnt see the field. 

Im not 100% certain but I’m pretty sure Reilly was inactive for those games so unable to play...

maybe it was to keep him from being snatched off the PS

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just a wild and unsubstantiated hunch without turning this into another TT debate (68,741 threads already).........don't see where the passing game would become a viable threat, especially downfield which means WR's...forget the "they suck" crap.....they were INACTIVE most Sundays.....so by not activating Reilly, I do not believe he gets credit for an accrued season which (I think) means his RFA status gets extended for another year....IF (BIG IF) this is correct, he can play a role in 2018 with McCarron, Allen & Peterman hopefully to make the passing game a viable offensive threat, especially downfield......

Tin-foil hat works for me, just as long as he makes it :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Im not 100% certain but I’m pretty sure Reilly was inactive for those games so unable to play...

maybe it was to keep him from being snatched off the PS

I think the same thing can be said then.....if the coaches thought he could help or was better than the WR's playing, then he would have been on the field. 

all I know is if this kid doesn't get a decent opportunity to help the Bills, it will be a real shame.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes he is getting cut omfg

As crazy as that sounds...yes it might actually be true

The bills have not been aggressive in the WR market at all....Kerley probably the biggest addition (and by the looks of things is setting into that slot wr position quite nicely)

Reilly looks like a outside receiver to me.....he is big strong catches everything....ran a 4.42 so he had speed.

He is gonna get his shot

I can still remember some ridiculous catches he made last preseason on some poorly thrown balls. Then he went down with the concussion. They gotta give him a shot.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [edited] Brandon Reilly - Speedy WR with a Roster Shot?
11 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I think everyone here wants to see Reilly make the team and have a Theilen like impact. I am not sure he will though. He was on the roster for the last 4 or 5 games last season and didnt see the field. 

Article on him.  Might be paywall.  Brief excerpt:

Reilly, who is 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, returned to Lincoln for part of the offseason and worked with former Nebraska receivers coach Keith Williams, who regularly trains a group of NFL receivers.  “His best football’s ahead of him,” Williams told the Lincoln Journal-Star. “I told him, ‘Bro, they won’t be able to guard you.’ He’s big, fast, quick, smart and strong, and he can catch. Plus, he isn’t an idiot. When he comes to practice, he gets to work. He’s focused.”

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/07/bills-receiver-brandon-reilly-i-like-my-chances-im-confident/

Given the premium on WR in the league, combined with the fact that many of them play in a simplified offense - I think it's possible that Beane may be trying to establish a "Linebacker U" type model where they pick up WR as late rounders/UDFA and try to stash them on PS or inactive for a year, to learn the game.  Then see what you've got their 2nd year, keep the best, cut the rest, rinse and repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Article on him.  Might be paywall.  Brief excerpt:

Reilly, who is 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, returned to Lincoln for part of the offseason and worked with former Nebraska receivers coach Keith Williams, who regularly trains a group of NFL receivers.  “His best football’s ahead of him,” Williams told the Lincoln Journal-Star. “I told him, ‘Bro, they won’t be able to guard you.’ He’s big, fast, quick, smart and strong, and he can catch. Plus, he isn’t an idiot. When he comes to practice, he gets to work. He’s focused.”

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/07/bills-receiver-brandon-reilly-i-like-my-chances-im-confident/

Given the premium on WR in the league, combined with the fact that many of them play in a simplified offense - I think it's possible that Beane may be trying to establish a "Linebacker U" type model where they pick up WR as late rounders/UDFA and try to stash them on PS or inactive for a year, to learn the game.  Then see what you've got their 2nd year, keep the best, cut the rest, rinse and repeat.

This was my feeling.....I felt like the bills were trying to stash him

Rewatching his highlights, he appears to have very good hands, fights to make the contestable catch, and finds a way to get open.  He looks more like a TE on the field.  He had a real good preseason game against the Ravens last year except for the game ending fumble at the end.  Did not see much of the high end speed but that might have been the Nebraska QBs tendency to under throw the longer ball.  I like the kid and think he and Streeter have a real good chance of making this roster and that both could be pleasant surprises this year.  I also don't see anything special with Holmes who seems to be a somewhat expensive ST player.  It will be interesting to see if they give Rielly and Streeter opportunities on ST this preseason.  Versatility is a must for WR 4, 5, 6.