How does this year's roster stack up with last year's playoff team Baby

Every team always looks like they improved every year and the offseason just cuz they're filling holes with the draft and always figured out free agents and fixing their team up.

What is the board's opinion on how our team Stacks up to the team last year?

Quarterback has to be a crapshoot we can certainly do worse then Tyrod Taylor and we can certainly do better I say a wash I think AJ McCarron can match tie rods level worst case scenario speaking optimistically.

I think Shady won't get the production we're used to sing but he could play the best football of his career trying to make up for the huge deficiencies we have on offense

Offensive line definitely got worse

Receivers are going to be better with a healthy Kelvin Benjamin but they're still not Great by any means my opinion.

Front seven has to be better than last year by all appearances our new linebacker looks like he has no bust potential he looks like a day one stud. I don't know much about the defensive tackle we grabbed but the board seems to love him so I'll take that as a plus. Milano looks good and yeah has to improve I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.

The secondary my favorite unit and I said they're better this year Gaines is a huge loss but maybe Vontae Davis steps up primarily I think just the fact that this new secondary we built is going to have even better chemistry next year not to mention Trey white being a rookie if he shows any improvement from his phenomenal rookie season he'll be the best corner in the league. I also like taking a flyer pic on defensive back I see no reason and trying to beef up your strongest unit.

Special teams I don't really care just don't muff punts and I am happy.

Written from my phone's voice recognition so please blast me for any incoherent sentences my phone thinks I'm drunk and is doing a terrible job at making sentences

I guess I'm saying we're better but quarterback is going to make all the difference at the end of the day

I feel the best decision made this offseason is switching offensive coordinators! With this defense and a defensive minded coach, I am optimistic that a change of the offensive scheme could go a long way(I'm not saying we are gonna light the league on fire). But with new OC, new scheme and new qb I expect us to move the ball better which hopefully leads to more points, and just as important, keep our defense off the field a bit more.Excited for the moves we've made and can't wait to see the progress!

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I feel the best decision made this offseason is switching offensive coordinators! With this defense and a defensive minded coach, I am optimistic that a change of the offensive scheme could go a long way(I'm not saying we are gonna light the league on fire). But with new OC, new scheme and new qb I expect us to move the ball better which hopefully leads to more points, and just as important, keep our defense off the field a bit more.Excited for the moves we've made and can't wait to see the progress!

That's a great point I forgot to mention I mostly just curious to see why some people think we're in tank mode when by all appearances we look improved

Of course I didn't quarterback is a total wild card and if we we get too many interceptions it's a swing from 10 and 6 to 4 and 12 I cannot predict our record at all

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the only thing that makes it hard to say that we won't be at least at our previous level is the turnover on the o-line, and the uncertainty of the QB position. 

That being said, I think the line will be patchwork, but doable. I also don't recall Tyrod "winning" many games for us, so if AJ can play smart we should be about the same level pass wise. Our run game hurts by losing TT, but a consistent pass attack will more than make make up for that.

I think something that was an issue with Dennison (and hopefully it won't be with Daboll) is that in this league, you can't  just say you're going to be a run first team. You have to back that comittmemt to the run with a creative passing game. We had no creativity in the offense last year so stacking the box was perfectly fine to stop us. 

Edited by whatdrought

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think the only thing that makes it hard to say that we won't be at least at our previous level is the turnover on the o-line, and the uncertainty of the QB position. 

That being said, I think the line will be patchwork, but doable. I also don't recall Tyrod "winning" many games for us, so if AJ can play smart we should be about the same level pass wise. Our run game hurts by losing TT, but a consistent pass attack will more than make I play for that.

If we win the turnover battle like we did last year I think we'll be good. Of course that's Tyrod specialty if we can get improved quarterback play weekend we can afford to lose a few turnovers

I think the defense got even stronger with our draft and FA moves. We have the makings of something special. 

The offense is hard to gauge. It will all depend on the QB position and if Shady is still the Shady we've come to know and love. More turnovers could spell situations our defense can't get us out of. If the QB play is more effective in necessary situations then we could be even better. At worst I expect a 7-9 campaign. If we click on O then we could be a 10-11 win team. 

Edited by H2o

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think the defense got even stronger with our draft and FA moves. We have the makings of something special. 

The offense is hard to gauge. It will all depend on the QB position and if Shady is still the Shady we've come to and love. More turnovers could spell situations our defense can't get us out of. If the QB play is more effective in necessary situations then we could be even better. At worst I expect a 7-9 campaign. If we click on O then we could be a 10-11 win team. 

Shady always seem to take responsibility and step up when he knew he had to take games over 

Call it wishful thinking but I think that's Shady's personality looking at this season and know that if he can carry the offense Phil cement his place in the Hall of Fame

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Shady always seem to take responsibility and step up when he knew he had to take games over 

Shady has been a beast. My favorite Bills player right now. The guy is our heart and soul on offense. At the same time he is getting older and he has a lot of wear on those tires. I hope that he can still be the same Shady for at least 2-3 more years and does so wearing a Bills jersey. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

If we win the turnover battle like we did last year I think we'll be good. Of course that's Tyrod specialty if we can get improved quarterback play weekend we can afford to lose a few turnovers

We had an insanely good turnover ratio last year but it came at the expense of conservative offense that didn't score points and we still lost because we couldn't stop the run and our pass defense was bend not break because it was on the field for so long (see run defense).

the addition of big bodies and a thumper in the second level should make a difference with the run defense which should allow us to get off the field sooner allowing the offense to take more risks and play for points. 

I honestly do think that we are a better team than last year, but we'll need some things to click together and a couple players to really come into their own. 

Save McCoy, I feel like we lost three or four of our best offensive players this year.  Our offense was ranked very low last year (29th in yards and 22nd in points).  This year, we have maybe one or two proven lineman, no reliable WRs, and no proven QBs.  I suspect we will fall off a bit or stay even with last year's rankings.  Sometimes an OC or QB change makes all the difference.  Can McCarren be a difference maker like Watson or Garoppolo last year?  I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting it.

On defense we should be much better than our 26th ranking. FA and this draft class filled a couple needed holes.

I predict 7 wins.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Definitely think the depth improved on the roster at a lot of positions.  Last year our depth was terrible.  It’s all going to come down to the obvious.. QB play 

And the QB play is going to come down to the run game.  If some one can step up and replace Richie the offense will be improved.   

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Shady has been a beast. My favorite Bills player right now. The guy is our heart and soul on offense. At the same time he is getting older and he has a lot of wear on those tires. I hope that he can still be the same Shady for at least 2-3 more years and does so wearing a Bills jersey. :thumbsup:

Ivory can take the beatings. what he is built for. and spelling Shady is why they got him. Coaches know how to treat him this year.

Running team again. will be better with with improved passing game 

keep him healthy and he will play top notch for  couple more years for sure.

31 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Definitely think the depth improved on the roster at a lot of positions.  Last year our depth was terrible.  It’s all going to come down to the obvious.. QB play 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

Defense will be much improved.  Don’t think the offens is better.

On paper perhaps. Both counts.
New Coaching/s

We were totally unable to stop the run at times.  And for the year, we got no pressure on the passer.  Fixed I believe, with the Dline additions.  Plus, our backers were too slow in coverage.  Fixed with Edmunds and Milano moving to a starting role.  Only material loss was Gaines and I believe he is at minimum offset by Davis.  So I think defense will be much, much better.

Offense - we will miss Tyrod's running and refusal to turn the ball over.  I think Dabol/McCarron/Allen can make up for that with a more adequate passing game.  Zay should be materially better this year if his head is right, and Benjamin should be too if healthy.  I wonder who plays center?  If it was Groy I think it would be a good bet for a push with Wood.  I noticed no drop off two years ago, and Woody was getting older.  Groy is in his prime.  If it is Bodine, who knows.  I also think Richie may be a loss, but not so sure if i is Groy who takes his job.  So I guess I expect the offense to be somewhat better, on balance.

Overall, I think the roster is much better.

Not good honestly.

Mainly because our offense, which was already very bad, got notably worse unfortunately.

1. Rookie QB that is an extremely raw project

2. No Veteran QB for rookie QB to sit behind or teach rookie QB

3. No QB with on-field play and stats in college as bad as Allen has ever become a franchise QB

4. Porous offensive line that got substantially worse (Woods retiring, Incognito retiring/un-retiring/asking to be released, and Glenn being traded)

5. WR corps that consists of Kelvin Benjamin and: Quan Bray, Kaelin Clay, Malachi Dupre, Andre Holmes, Zay Jones, Jermely Kerley, Ray McCloud, Austin Proehl, Brandon Reilly, and Rod Streater....
6. Shady is only getting older

I think our defense will improve by virtue of adding DT's Star and rookie Harrison Phillips, but adding Vontae Davis over Gaines is an upgrade as well. Our safeties who were already a good tandem, should be even better in year 2 due to being in the system for longer. Hopefully, along with the White being in his 2nd year, the secondary creates turnovers more consistently like they did in the first half of 2017 now that the DT position is stronger.

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Not good honestly.

Mainly because our offense, which was already very bad, got notably worse unfortunately.

1. Rookie QB that is an extremely raw project

2. No Veteran QB for rookie QB to sit behind or teach rookie QB

3. No QB with on-field play and stats in college as bad as Allen has ever become a franchise QB

4. Porous offensive line that got substantially worse (Woods retiring, Incognito retiring/un-retiring/asking to be released, and Glenn being traded)

5. WR corps that consists of Kelvin Benjamin and: Quan Bray, Kaelin Clay, Malachi Dupre, Andre Holmes, Zay Jones, Jermely Kerley, Ray McCloud, Austin Proehl, Brandon Reilly, and Rod Streater....
6. Shady is only getting older

I think our defense will improve by virtue of adding DT's Star and rookie Harrison Phillips, but adding Vontae Davis over Gaines is an upgrade as well. Our safeties who were already a good tandem, should be even better in year 2 due to being in the system for longer. Hopefully, along with the White being in his 2nd year, the secondary creates turnovers more consistently like they did in the first half of 2017 now that the DT position is stronger.

McCarron is a veteran QB.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we improved on the defensive side of the ball while we regressed on offense.  Add together the changes at QB and scheme and I don’t see us winning early in the season.  The losses of C, G, and T are really going to hurt us, especially in the depth department when the eventual injuries come.  I have high hopes but the realist in me just doesn’t see a marked improvement in wins/losses.