2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Herbert's only played half a season each of the past two years.  As of now, he looks like a solid top 12 pick to me.  He's upped his game from last year and might very well look like a no. 1 overall by the end of the season.  He certainly has the tools.  Lots of football left.

I haven't deep dived on him yet but off tv only I have a 2nd round grade and he is probably my top QB. I think he will go in the first round but I don't presently see him going in the first 5 picks.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Neither did Mahomes or Allen for you. This is not a criticism in your judgment as much as point out that teams are willing to pay a premium for a top shelf qb prospect. My contention is that there is a good chance that the Bills will be in a draft position to parlay it into a number of high end prospects. In addition, judiciously moving down doesn't mean that you will left out of the market for a premium player with your lower first round pick that still can be a premium pick. When you have a dearth of talent and have an opportunity to add an infusion of talent then seize it. In addition to the draft because of our bountiful cap situation a number of competent players can be added to replace some incompetent players. In one year this roster can be dramatically upgraded. When you have such an opportunity that is not the time to shrink from creatively acting. 

Don't mistake my GRADE on someone for where I think someone WILL be drafted. I had 3rd round grades on both Mahomes and Allen. They were both projects to me. But I thought both would go in the first round. Indeed I banged the drum that Mahomes would go top 10 in 2017 - I said three in the top 10 when the TBD consensus was maximum 1 in the top 10. I accept NFL GMs fall in love with toolsy high ceiling guys even though they tend not to float my boat. I think Herbert will go 1st round. I doubt he goes top 5 when you combine his actual talent level with the QB need around the league. 

And I think you can get great players further down. My contention is that is a game of chance. There are in this draft a couple of genuine, premium blue chippers at the top. You don't pass on those guys for more picks. Picks are not an end in themselves they are a means of aquiring talent. I am not giving up an elite prospect at a critical spot for two good ones who may have a shot to be great, and nor should any NFL team. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Somebody will. 

I can see Denver doing it because I doubt they see Keenum as the answer and getting a "franchise" QB from a big school would make big John happy.

(Btw I've seen Herbert in 3 games and he's looked pretty good)

But Denver might well be picking in that #6 to #10 range. Not sure why they would need to trade up? 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't mistake my GRADE on someone for where I think someone WILL be drafted. I had 3rd round grades on both Mahomes and Allen. They were both projects to me. But I thought both would go in the first round. Indeed I banged the drum that Mahomes would go top 10 in 2017 - I said three in the top 10 when the TBD consensus was maximum 1 in the top 10. I accept NFL GMs fall in love with toolsy high ceiling guys even though they tend not to float my boat. I think Herbert will go 1st round. I doubt he goes top 5 when you combine his actual talent level with the QB need around the league. 

And I think you can get great players further down. My contention is that is a game of chance. There are in this draft a couple of genuine, premium blue chippers at the top. You don't pass on those guys for more picks. Picks are not an end in themselves they are a means of aquiring talent. I am not giving up an elite prospect at a critical spot for two good ones who may have a shot to be great, and nor should any NFL team. 

But Denver might well be picking in that #6 to #10 range. Not sure why they would need to trade up? 

Keenum will get them into the playoffs, they gave KC all they could handle.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Broncos pick Justin Herbert, Niners take big receiver at No. 2

3. Buffalo Bills

Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State. I can't elude this pairing. It's too perfect. Jerry Hughes has been a monster in Buffalo, but he's nearing the end of the prime of his career, and the Bills' other defensive end spot is lacking. Bosa is as refined as they come and has the natural physical abilities to be a star in the NFL.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

You have to look who is likely to be picking one too.... I have 6 possible Quarterback teams (Denver, NYG, Miami, Jacksonville, LAC, Tampa) but none of them would I call a "desperate" need. There are currently 7 teams who have got starting QBs picked in the top 12 of the last two drafts who are feeling differing degrees of good about their guys. It is a strange year to my mind with very little urgent Quarterback need and no stand out prospect and as a result I don't see teams reaching up the board in the first round - especially when it looks a pretty talented draft at a lot of other spots. 

You raise good points but I disagree wrt the Giants.

I think that they are already in desperate need and if not, they will be by the end of the season.

Jmo.

No. 12 – Buffalo Bills

PICK: Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State
The Bills invested heavily in Josh Allen as its franchise QB but his weapons are arguably the worst in the NFL. Buffalo must commit to surrounding Allen in the coming offseason and Harmon would give the Bills a receiver with the upside to become a No. 1 guy. Harmon isn’t a burner but he dominates at the catch point with exceptional ball skills and suction cups for hands. He is a true route salesman that knows how to create separation with nuanced technique in his release and stems.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:16 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It was only one game but watched Oliver Thursday night against Tulsa and the guy was non existent.

He was invisible in the second half of the game I watched him in, too.  Texas Tech, I think.  Seems overhyped.

59 minutes ago, mannc said:

He was invisible in the second half of the game I watched him in, too.  Texas Tech, I think.  Seems overhyped.

so far  but I remember watching Khalil Mack and thinking he wasn't great either. I suppose the whole body of work, athleticism and desire need to  be evaluated.

12 - MONTEZ SWEAT

Defensive Lineman, Mississippi State

Mississippi State
The Buffalo Bills have been the most confusing team in the NFL this season, as they look like a team that should go 0-16 one week, and then beat a playoff team from last season in the next. They may have found the answer in quarterback Josh Allen, who they took in the first round in 2018, as he has shown he is not afraid to get the yardage on the ground, or stand in the pocket and take a hit.

The problem is, you never want you quarterback to take too many hits, but that has been the case this season, as the offensive line is suspect. They need to focus on making that a priority next offseason, but they need some veteran leadership in the group, and should spend money on some proven players in the NFL.

Up front on the other side of the ball is also an issue in Buffalo, although the defense has shown flashes of brilliance in their two wins this season. One player who could really help them is Montez Sweat from Mississippi State, who can play in the middle of the defensive line, but also is athletic enough to go on the outside and try to get the edge in certain spots.

This Bills teams is building from within, and they have a defensive-minded coach in Sean McDermott. They have shown that they can go in and beat the likes of the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings,  two teams that should challenge to make the playoffs this season, but until they can play consistently, they will be picking in the first half of the first round next April.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:46 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

12 - MONTEZ SWEAT

Defensive Lineman, Mississippi State

Mississippi State
The Buffalo Bills have been the most confusing team in the NFL this season, as they look like a team that should go 0-16 one week, and then beat a playoff team from last season in the next. They may have found the answer in quarterback Josh Allen, who they took in the first round in 2018, as he has shown he is not afraid to get the yardage on the ground, or stand in the pocket and take a hit.

The problem is, you never want you quarterback to take too many hits, but that has been the case this season, as the offensive line is suspect. They need to focus on making that a priority next offseason, but they need some veteran leadership in the group, and should spend money on some proven players in the NFL.

Up front on the other side of the ball is also an issue in Buffalo, although the defense has shown flashes of brilliance in their two wins this season. One player who could really help them is Montez Sweat from Mississippi State, who can play in the middle of the defensive line, but also is athletic enough to go on the outside and try to get the edge in certain spots.

This Bills teams is building from within, and they have a defensive-minded coach in Sean McDermott. They have shown that they can go in and beat the likes of the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings,  two teams that should challenge to make the playoffs this season, but until they can play consistently, they will be picking in the first half of the first round next April.

Absurd.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.